Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2006 12:48:13 PM EDT

So for a while I was trying to get into Airborne school, because I wanted to try jumping out of a plane.

Then it hit me.

I can jump out of a plane WITHOUT all the 3 weeks of bullshit, running, and faking being motivated if I just pay to do it!

So I'm gunna!

What do I need to know, and what does it cost?

Is there any way I can get out of having another man strapped to my ass the first time I do it?

Static line is not an option, I want to free fall...   Far.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:51:26 PM EDT
[#1]
You can knock Airborne School all you want, but at least they don't strap your ass to another dude for your first jump.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You can knock Airborne School all you want, but at least they don't strap your ass to another dude for your first jump.

You don't get to freefall unless you are doing a HALO jump right?

That's WAY too high speed for me.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:54:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to this web site:
www.uspa.org/

The United States Parachute Association governs skydiving in the US.
You can Jump Tandem, Accelerated Freefall, or static line/ Instructor Assisted deployment. Been Skydiving for 8 Years jumping out of planes for 12 years.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:58:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You don't get to freefall unless you are doing a HALO jump right?

That's WAY too high speed for me.

Normally, you're right.  But, a friend of mine did freefall for about 900-1000 feet during #5 at jump school.  Her reserve finally opened right above the ground.  She stood up, puked, and said "never again."

Jump school is 2-3 days of training that they manage to steamroll out to 3 weeks.  Do it for the badge or for your military career, but not because you think it will be fun.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:05:05 PM EDT
[#5]
go to any USPA drop zone (the link above works), go for your Tandem jump - voila.  12000 feet up, freefall for about a minute.  good stuff.  should cost about $200.  I have 230 freefall parachute jumps under my belt, and I'll tell you, its a lot of fun.  never done a static line, never will.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#6]
go to dropzone.com and use the dz finder to find a dropzone near you. You can do a tandem where you are strapped to someone (you can get a female, call around to different dzs if it is that important to you) or you can do AFF where you jump your first time with no one strapped to you with your own rig and 2 instructors holding on to you during freefall.
a tandem is like a carnival ride, show up, $200 and a few minutes later you are on the ground. AFF is to learn to do it yourself and costs about $300 for your first jump with 6-8 hours of ground school beforehand. You will then make 7 more jumps with instructors at about $200 each before you can jump by yourself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top