Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2006 11:06:05 AM EDT
Moonshine operation shut down in Winston County

link

State alcohol agents raided and shut down a large moonshine operation in rural Winston County, authorities said today.

Wednesday’s raid came after a four-month investigation into the illegal whiskey making operation by Mississippi Alcoholic Beverage Control.

“Moonshine investigations are still a big part of what we do,” said Mark Hicks, ABC’s chief of enforcement.

Agents seized a large still, 750 pounds of sugar, 19 gallons of moonshine, a Chevrolet truck and a Honda ATV.

In all, the operation was capable of producing 100 gallons of moonshine a week, ABC said.

No arrests were made. Authorities said the case will be presented to the Winston County District Attorney for further action.

It was the second illegal distillery operation busted since July. Agents destroyed 12 stills in the prior year.

I love the local newspaper...
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 11:07:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I had some great 'shine last Saturday night. Mmmmmm-m!
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 11:09:43 AM EDT
[#2]
State Alcohol agents...interesting
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 11:12:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Its all about the TAXES!!!!

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 11:14:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I thought all states had them.  I think some states even have state-run liquor stores that are the only legal places to buy.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought all states had them.  I think some states even have state-run liquor stores that are the only legal places to buy.

Thats how it is here in MS...Liquor stores buy the booze from the state.  Just as mafia as before prohibition was lifted in the 50's-60's.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:13:15 PM EDT
[#6]
State liquor store...what a scam.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:15:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats how it is here in MS...Liquor stores buy the booze from the state.  Just as mafia as before prohibition was lifted in the 50's-60's.

Wasn't ProHo lifted in the 30s?
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:17:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Federal law still requires permits for distilling alcohol.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Its all about the TAXES!!!!

+1

It won't be long till this very thing will be happening to these backyard/garage biodiesel and ethanol fuel small timers.  You don't pay your taxes (road taxes) Uncle Sugar will come looking.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

history lesson

The state was the last to repeal prohibition and to [symbolically) ratify the Thirteenth Amendment, which abolished slavery, in 1966 and 1995 respectively--though these amendments were already legally in effect in Mississippi, as in the rest of the U.S.

Actually, the liquor sellers in Louisianna tried to bribe the current MS governor NOT to repeal state prohibition because of all the money they would lose.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:33:40 PM EDT
[#11]
.gov is the biggest mafia organization there is.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:35:08 PM EDT
[#12]
How much does a gallon of White Lightin' sell for in Mississippi?
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#13]
What a waste of good shine!  Where are the honest folks supposed to get there shine from now?
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:45:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
How much does a gallon of White Lightin' sell for in Mississippi?

I don't know about Mississippi, but in Tennessee one can get a quart of the good stuff for ~$16-18.  For $20, I can get a quart of some of the best peach moonshine you've ever had, its smooth and crystal clear.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Does moonshine actually taste good or is it mostly only good for getting you wasted rather quickly?
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:49:25 PM EDT
[#16]
It really depends on where you get it.  I know of folks that get theirs from some old families in the hills that have probably been doing this since prohibition.  They have moonshining down to an art.  Having tried some from various sources, I can say that the quality stuff is very smooth and good tasting and if you can get any with fresh fruit it is delightful.  Don't get me wrong, it may taste good but don't make any plans for the next day because it will get you wasted fast.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 2:02:29 PM EDT
[#17]
My bro-in-law's in-laws make some up in North MS... one of them uses old jelly jars because the flavor stays in the glass.  I still prefer my capt'n 'n' coke.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 2:07:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top