Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2006 5:55:34 AM EDT
short history of this...I was Majors 1st owner, bought him as a pup in Spring 03. Had braincramp, forgot Huskys have a team/pack mentality. MY place at that time was in a park and couldnt secure him outside, not that I would in that situation anyway. I had to leave him alone in the house when I was at work. He didnt care for that and so it didnt work out too good. He chewed on anything he could, had a taste for cd's

I sold him to a guy(Jimmy) who was working for my Dad then. Hes married and has a son. Major had company all the time, wasnt left alone. He took very good care of Major.

My situation has changed since in many ways. My place now sits on my parents commercial property and I have room for a kennel and acres to exercise animals.

Spring 06. Ran into Jimmy and he told me they were moving to GA. I thought I would be able to get Major back along with a son, named Sam, of his they kept out of the 1 litter Major fathered. I went to visit the dogs and saw Major for the 1st time in a couple years. Jimmy backed out of the deal that day.

Present day, Oct/Nov 06. I ran into Jimmy last week at Subway and his situation has changed. Still had Major and Sam but had moved to a location not so good for dogs.
He offered to sell them to me again, that he hated having to keep them in the place where they live now, and preferred if anyone got them it would be me.

I busted my ass to get a good kennel built and took custody of Major and Sam yesterday.

Pix taken this morning. They want walked. 2 Huskys at the same time?

The kennel w/Sam and Major

Major almost 4 yrs old

Sam almost 2 yrs old.

Ive still go to take down the form boards and spread some #8 limestone(small rock, packs easily) around the perimeter.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:53:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Walked them around noon and then policed up their pens.

My son showed up with 2 of his friends from HS/college and so they were volunteered to help walk them. I still wound up with a Husky pullin on each arm cuz the boys had to go run an errand before their next class this afternoon.

Gorilla arms....
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:58:21 AM EDT
[#2]
That is very cool.  You built some nice kennels too.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:10:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:20:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Do they not get along with each other?  If they were together they could at least have play time.    
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:32:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Glad to hear a happy ending.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:33:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Great story. How did the dog act when you meant him years later ?

Boy you dont have a top on that pen, a husky with a nose for freedom .

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#7]
both males, Major is Alphamale(and Sams dad) but they do get along. I thought briefly about 1 big pen but I decided seperate pens is the best way.

Major will remind( with just a growl) Sam whos topdawg if he gets too close when their being walked. I didnt have a problem with that when I was walkin them earlier, 1 on each arm.

I did wind up with crossed arms a couple times. I need to find a good trainer to help break them, Major mostly, of pullin with all they got when theyre being led.

I did get a training neck/nose lead for that. I havent tried it yet.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Great story. How did the dog act when you meant him years later ?

Boy you dont have a top on that pen, a husky with a nose for freedom .

Major never forgot me. I guess since we bonded first before Jimmy came along. Sam was kinda skittish of me(if i was near him without Jimmy or his wife there) but hes over that already.

Ive got more fence panels but I wont put them up unless they start pullin the "cat on a screen door" act.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:14:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Very cool!

I could swear that my current Husky is the reincarnation of my first one. Same color coat, same bi-eyedness ... the day I brought him home from the shelter he not only responded immediately to his stupid new name (THX 1139 -- the first was THX 1138) he came running and stopped instead of doing the usual Husky flyby. It's like we've known each other forever (the first THX lived to be 17).

I used to walk four Huskies and wolf/dogs at a time. I had a couple of two-fers -- a center link with two short leads -- made up so I could attach two dogs to one leash.

ETA - New THX:

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:21:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Very cool!

I could swear that my current Husky is the reincarnation of my first one. Same color coat, same bi-eyedness ... the day I brought him home from the shelter he not only responded immediately to his stupid new name (THX, same as the first) he came running and stopped instead of doing the usual Husky flyby. It's like we've known each other forever (the first THX lived to be 17).

I used to walk four Huskies and wolf/dogs at a time. I had a couple of two-fers -- a center link with two short leads -- made up so I could attach two dogs to one leash.

So how long are your arms now?
If they didnt lead like they had a sled behind them how did you break them of their pulling?
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Very cool!

I could swear that my current Husky is the reincarnation of my first one. Same color coat, same bi-eyedness ... the day I brought him home from the shelter he not only responded immediately to his stupid new name (THX, same as the first) he came running and stopped instead of doing the usual Husky flyby. It's like we've known each other forever (the first THX lived to be 17).

So how long are your arms now?
If they didnt lead like they had a sled behind them how did you break them of their pulling?

I'd walk each individually and teach them to "heel" ... or as close as they'd come to it. I also had a couple of 100-ft. leads so I could "let them go" when it was safe to do so. The wolves didn't have the Huskies pulling instinct and preferred to stay closer to me most of the time.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:46:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Husky = Great dog, friend, companion, protector, loyal...
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:50:41 PM EDT
[#13]
congrats on the dogs they are beautiful
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#14]
cool
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Hahah, Major looks so much like my old dog.  Bud looked really similar, but had the black lines under the eyes to give the wolf-like mask appearance... was a huge malamute and smart as hell.   Used unlock the door on the fence in our back yard, hop over the electric fence line, go play with the neighbors, hop back inside, close the door, and relock it..  he did this for years.  Found this out after he died.  Missed the hell outta him; he died while I was still in the middle of all my Navy schools.  I miss my dog.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:07:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Huskies are great dogs, I own one as well.

That is a nice looking Husky too you got there in Major. Sam is nice too, but I like Major better. Haha I see that you have cement under their kennels and not just the ground? Great idea, that way they won't be able to dig out of it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 2:18:25 PM EDT
[#17]
THX, your 1139 is a good lookin husky

Everyone else, Thanks for the compliments toward my boyz.

Storm6436, Sorry to hear about losing Bud.

My Dad was stationed in Alaska before I came along. When my parents moved back to WV they brought at least 2 pair of Husky/Malamute mix home with them. Since I told my parents I was getting Major back Moms been talkin about Nikki and Kobuck and the way they were built being mixed like that.

I wanted a concrete pad for ease of cleaning, self trimming nails and no digging.
Its 14'x20', the kennels are 10'x10'. The privacy fence is a windbreak and to keep passersby prying eyes off my dawgs.

This afternoon I pulled the stakes, tore out the form boards and spread the limestone. It looks better now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top