Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2006 4:38:10 AM EDT
I am aware of how these units operate, however, my concern is of a "run through."
Dog running past wire and ignoring the correction.
Would appreciate any comments on folks who use them.
Would be used to contain an 18 month GSD, still full of youthful energy, but not overly aggressive.
Can get good deal on pet safe brand from ebay. Thanks.
Alternative is to fence in back yard and install dog door for him, but much more$$$$$.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:43:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Run-throughs do happen, depends on the dog's personality...

Also, the fence-training only works if it's allways kept in working order...

If it's ever off or the collar malfunctions, he'll learn to get through, and your run-through issues will be 'bigger'

P.S. You're probably going to need a BIG dog door...
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:43:52 AM EDT
[#2]
My dog ran through a couple of times when he was being watched by my friend.  But he was completely unaware of the invisible line.  My friend's dogs who went through the training and started with the line of little white flags, they had no problem.

The smart one, though, learned to test the system because it would occasionally fail.  The dog knew to creep toward the line and if the collar beeped, he backed off, and if it didn't, away he went looking for sweet bitches.  My friend fixed that by turning off the beep - no warning *BAM* full strength.

I once saw a phone repairman on the street scurry up to the top of his van because of the Rottweiler and lab sprinting toward him with no obstacles in between.

-Jeff
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:55:07 AM EDT
[#3]
My sister has a large lab that has decided that I am his best friend. The dog normally stays within the wire, but when I visit he just ignores the fence and comes to the road to greet me. He has to be in the house when I leave or he will just walk through with me. His collar is set on the highest setting, and he doesn't even flinch.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:57:34 AM EDT
[#4]
P.S. You're probably going to need a BIG dog door...

A dog door is not very large given the size of the dogs body.
Just imagine the dog 'slinking down'.
A large dog can fit through a small opening.
Flag training would be followed to the letter-
I 'spose I should go with the fence, as I am already having reservations.
My pup is very easily trained. Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:02:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Lab/Coon dog mix, and he is very good with the "fence".
He was trained to this type of "fence" when he was a puppy, before I got him from P.A.W.S.
He is very good, but he has his moments, he will pass the "fence" if he is pissed enough.
We do not just open the door and let the dog out. we go out with him and he gets verbal corrrection before he gets to the line.
Underground systems are not fool proof, and require human intervention.
I see them as training tools, no more, no less.
They do not "contain", like a physicial barrier.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:07:42 AM EDT
[#6]
#1 - the electrodes can get imbedded into the neck of the dog and cause health problems

#2 - the fence traps your dog in the yard, but allows other dogs entry to your yard to attack your dog

#3 - it doesn't stop a child from walking into your yard and getting bit by your dog
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:12:54 AM EDT
[#7]
From what I understand, training the dog properly is KEY ...
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:46:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the swift responses!
You have addressed all of my concerns, such as run through, electrode irritation, doggs or kids coming in etc.
As I stated after reading a few replies, my gut feeling tells me to just put up the 6' fence. Deutschund can still get out via dog door, and I have peace of mind that he is safe. Thank you all again.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:53:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Would be used to contain an 18 month GSD, still full of youthful energy, but not overly aggressive.

I installed/had one for years.  I works on small wimpy dogs especially that learn to fear the shock from a very young age.  It didn't work on medium or large dogs especially if they're not small pups when they first learn the shock.  

I don't know what a GSD is, but in my experience, 18 mo old is too old, and if a GSD is at least medium sized, I think you'll get frequent run-throughs.    Also long hair is a constant aggravation as it blocks the shock, also the batteries die.  It worked great on a small wimpy dog of ours because he would not go near the wire area after experiencing the shocks at a very young age.  A medium to small (also pretty wimpy) dog of ours learned it at less than 12 mos but wasn't that scared by the shock, so she'd leave at times if her hair got long enough to lessen the shock, or if the battery died, or if she was motivated enough.  The shock was more like an annoyance to her (and we ended up getting the strong shock model).  She would sit at the edge of the wire (where it makes her collar beep constantly) all the time and this would lessen battery life.  If it wasn't beeping, she would proceed ahead out of the yard.  We shared the yard with our tenant in our duplex who had a Lab.  Didn't work at all on that thing.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:01:28 AM EDT
[#10]
the undground electric fence works great, keeps the little fuckers in good too. id recommend using marine wire, otherwise you'll have alot of breakage in the fence, animals are somehow attracted the the current in the copper wire.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:06:36 AM EDT
[#11]
TORQ, GSD is German Shepherd Dog- The Only Dog to have the title of Dog in their name.
Thanks, and you learned a bit of trivia today!
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:08:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
TORQ, GSD is German Shepherd Dog- The Only Dog to have the title of Dog in their name.
Thanks, and you learned a bit of trivia today!

You won't be happy with the results of the radio fence on that dog IMO.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:09:08 AM EDT
[#13]
sorry torq and monkeygrip, got mixed up! getting late here, work 4 12 hr. shifts, then 4 days off.
Again, TNX to all for the input.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:11:14 AM EDT
[#14]
YEP, going with the six foot high hard wired fence-just thought I would check and see first, before I made an mistake! Thank You.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:11:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Holy shit, when I clicked this I thought this thread was about some new underground radio station aimed at ARFcomers. I think my tin foil is tooooo tight.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:14:06 AM EDT
[#16]
My parents have Invisible Fence for their chocolate lab; it was set up with white flags marking the boundaries.  The lab doesn't give in to pain so discipline is difficult, but she hates getting shocked by the collar.  She avoids the fence line no matter what, she won't even go near it and so far as I know, has never tested the limits.  It works for her.  Her collar is on the second setting.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:21:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Also keep in mind that you have to have an uninterrupted wire around the containment area.  For me this meant I had to cut a 1-inch deep groove though my asphalt driveway with a diamond saw.  It wasn't too hard but more expense/time.  Power outages mean you've got no fence, although those are rare.  

All that negativity said, the system worked well for our two dogs for many years, allowing us to have these dogs without the significant outlay of big $ for a hard fence, and the dogs enjoyed a large yard that they could look out of.  Although with our medium sized dog it was not without anxiety/work because of the occasional run-thoughs.  The collars are also uncomfortable for the dogs.  For our medium sized Aussie we had to use the long electrodes (to get through her hair) which had to be quite tight constantly digging into her neck.  It was somewhat cruel, but she would go for the nearby hi-way and chase cars if she got out.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm in the same boat as the OP.  I have a Shiloh who's approaching a year old and is 31 at the shoulder and 120lbs.  He's gotten over our 4 foot fence once without a scratch.  I'm 5'9'' and he can get a tennis ball out of my hand as high as I can hold it over my head.  I considered the invisible fence and the regular electric fence due to cost issues.  I paid almost 2g's for my dog and he's worth much more than that to me.  I'll be spending about 4,000 to have 450 feet of 6 foot chain link installed and 80 feet of PVC Vinyl 6' privacy.  I plan on breeding him at 2 years, so he's "intact" and starting to sniff out bitches in heat.  I'll probably recoup my money in him and the fence after the 2nd or 3rd breeding.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top