Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2006 7:44:46 PM EDT
Not sure how many people know about this..

Alcohol without liquid (AWOL) is a process introduced first in Asia and Europe that allows people to take in liquor (distilled spirits) without actually consuming liquid. The machine vaporizes alcohol and mixes it with oxygen, allowing the consumer to breathe in the mixture. The machine has been dubbed AWOL, a play on the military term AWOL, Absent Without Leave. The AWOL machine produces a very fine alcoholic mist. The continual intake of this mist over a 20 minute period is the equivalent of taking one shot of distilled spirits.
Google search

Wikipedia

The machine's marketers say it produces a "Euphoric High" and the effects of alcohol consumption without the high calories, carbohydrates, and hangovers associated with common consumption. In reality, distilled spirits contain no carbohydrates (nor any fat or cholesterol) that the machine could remove. Hangovers are allegedly prevented due to the fact that the alcohol is delivered with oxygen to the brain. Vaporized alcohol also enters the bloodstream faster and its effects are more immediate than its liquid counterparts. Marketers encourage purchasers to use the machine no more than twice in a 24 hour period to avoid overconsumption, as this might be dangerous.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#1]
interesting
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:48:09 PM EDT
[#2]
20 minutes for a shot? I think ill stick to my one shot every 20 seconds
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Supposedly there is no hangover...
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:51:37 PM EDT
[#4]
What good is this? You can't -

Oh, wait. Smoking is already banned in most bars.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#5]
The idea doesn't really appeal to me.

I would rather drink my alcohol.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:56:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Bullshit.  I did this back in the early 1990s when I was a lab assistant.  My boss, Dr. F., had me clean out the walk-in refrigerator and sanatize it with alcohol.  Ethanol.  200 proof ethanol.  Absolute ethanol, USP grade.  That is drinking grade because USP means United States Pharmacopeia, a quality listing of chemicals that are allowed for perscription compounding.

Well, this walk-in 'fridge was about 10 feet wide and 15 feet deep, 8 feet high and all walls, ceiling anf floor had to be scrubbed with ethanol.  Never mind it was like 34 F in there, the fumes were HEADY.  And I was DRUNK ON THE JOB without drinking any.  And yes, there WAS a hangover.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#7]
They tried to make this illegal in Cleveland/Ohio for the children, I'm sure there were other places trying to do the same.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:35:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I have tried it but I was drinking with it as well and I had a major hangover....Never tried it as a standalone thing...
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#9]
This takes all of the sport of it!
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:44:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey that's just like my nebulizer  for Asthma  
Hmmm  Think Ill pass on inhaling alcohol  

I'm pretty sure technically you need to have a prescription for a medical compressor and nebulizer like that

They could roll you on drug charges if they really wanted to
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:29:55 PM EDT
[#11]
But how will I know how many beers I had?
Does it have a built in calculator?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
But how will I know how many beers I had?
Does it have a built in calculator?

Flavored liquor is what is recommended...
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 11:30:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Some people consume brandy by pouring it in a spoon and holding it over a candle or something, then inhaling the vapours.
Similar to that, I think.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 11:48:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Without the calories?!?

I'm in.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 11:55:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Ok, so I think I know where this device came from.  It's the same vaporizer method pot smokers have been using for years.  I think someone smoked a bit too much and tried to vaporize alcohol.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:16:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I agree.  

Plus saying "I will inhale you under the table" doesn't have the same ring.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:26:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Its just a nebulizer...
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:27:42 AM EDT
[#18]
(oops...double tap)
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 2:49:16 AM EDT
[#19]
I think NY banned it saying kids could use it
well no shit, but they still need to get the alcohol
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:05:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I think NY banned it saying kids could use it
well no shit, but they still need to get the alcohol

Well...if they really wanted to "inhale" their alcohol, all they would have to do is purchase (or otherwise aquire) a nebulizer....

Because, like I said...Its just a fucking nebulizer.  Millions of people with asthma or emphysema have the same thing sitting on their coffe table.

As a matter of fact...This is so absurd I decided to post a comment on the article about it on that "GIZMO" web page:

"All that stupid thing is is a nebulizer…just like the ones people with asthma , emphysema, COPD etc. use to administer thier albuterol, atrovent, and other inhaled medications.
And it would NOT give you “alcohol WITHOUT liquid”…the liquid is still there, it is just in the form of a mist.
The alcoholic beverage would simply be absorbed into the bloodstream through the lungs and exposed mucous membranes of the mouth and trachea.
Anybody who spends thier money on that should consider themselves RIPPED OFF…for THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS no less.
"

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:11:40 PM EDT
[#21]
know why crack took off so fast? because your lungs are a huge network of blood vessels. if a drug can get into your lungs and be absorbed there, there is no faster way of getting checmicals into your body, except injection directly into your blood stream.. and even that can sometimes be slower than enhaling a drug..

thats the 'secret' behind crack.. afterall crack is nothing more than cocaine that has been converted from a HCL salt to its base. in its base form it vaporizes at a much lower temp and you can enhale the base cocaine vaport and because it is fat soluble it goes quickly into your lungs blood vessels..

this is just 'free-basing' alcohol.. same general technology.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:12:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:22:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Its just a nebulizer...

The EU model uses O2 as well.. That is why there is not supposed to be NO hangover... As stated in several Sites... The home model shown above it would seem is just as you say...
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:23:39 PM EDT
[#24]
on top of that its $300
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Its just a nebulizer...

The EU model uses O2 as well.. That is why there is not supposed to be NO hangover... As stated in several Sites... The home model shown above it would seem is just as you say...

Nebulizers can be used with O2 as well...in fact, the ones we carry on our ambulances are RUN by O2.
The one they are showing in the picture is just a home nebulizer.

O2 has ZERO to do with the hangover.
Oxygen gets to your brain the same way alcohol you drink does...through your blood stream.

IF this contraption keeps you from getting a hangover...it is simply because you are taking 20 MINUTES to do ONE SHOT.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Is it still 21 and over?  

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Its just a nebulizer...

+1

Worthless for partying.

Besides what fun is it if you are not drinking?
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Its just a nebulizer...

Nebulizers can be used with O2 as well...in fact, the ones we carry on our ambulances are RUN by O2.

Oxygen gets to your brain the same way alcohol you drink does...through your blood stream.

IF this contraption keeps you from getting a hangover...it is simply because you are taking 20 MINUTES to do ONE SHOT.

The Company’s Claims
The company makes several interesting claims about AWOL. For example, according to AWOL’s website, “one of the ways our body gets rid of the alcohol we drink is through the lungs, in our breath. AWOL simply turns that procedure around and lets the alcohol enter through the lungs thus eliminating the dreaded hangover” (AWOL, 2004). However,
scientific studies have shown that hangover symptoms result from several causes, including “the direct physiological effects of alcohol on the brain” as well as dehydration and electrolyte imbalance (Swift & Davidson, 1998, p.56). Even if alcohol is inhaled (instead of drank), it might still inhibit vasopressin (antidiuretic hormone) release from the pituitary gland. Consequently, reduced levels of vasopressin prevent the kidneys from conserving water and thereby increase urine production; the result would be dehydration (Swift & Davidson, 1998) and likely hangover symptoms.

AWOL company officials claim that it provides a low-calorie and low-carbohydrate way to consume alcohol because it enters the bloodstream through the lungs rather than the stomach. The low-carbohydrate claim is misleading because
distilled spirits do not contain any carbohydrates that the AWOL machine could remove (Answers.com, 2006).

The company also claims that “once the alcohol enters the bloodstream, it affects the body in the same way as drinking alcohol” (AWOLUSA, 2004). When an individual uses AWOL, the alcohol vapor bypasses the consumer’s stomach and liver when inhaled. The liver’s function is to break down harmful substances like alcohol, but with AWOL,
the liver does not filter the alcohol that is absorbed through blood vessels in the lungs. AWOL critics claim that this creates a quicker and more intense impact on the brain (Lovell, 2004). Inhaling as a route of administration usually permits psychoactive drugs to cross the blood brain barrier most rapidly compared to other routes of administration.
Similarly, the subjective effect of inhaling is that of a more potent drug experience.

The smoked vehicle is the most potent and rapid acting. The possible health risks of inhaling alcohol vapors delivered immediately to the brain and bloodstream are unknown. Scientific studies must be conducted to examine the impact that AWOL has on the brain
and the lungs.

Link in PDF
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Its just a nebulizer...

The Company’s Claims
The company makes several interesting claims about AWOL. For example, according to AWOL’s website, “one of the ways our body gets rid of the alcohol we drink is through the lungs, in our breath.

Yes...that is one of the ways our bodies get rid of impurities.
The alveoli in your lungs trade o2 from the air you breathe in, with the biproducts of cellular metabolism (Co2 and some other impurities) in your blood stream...at the microscopic level.
And, yes...some drugs can be absorbed this way.
And, yes...alcohol most certainly WOULD be absorbed into the blood stream this way

AWOL simply turns that procedure around and lets the alcohol enter through the lungs thus eliminating the dreaded hangover” (AWOL, 2004).

Bullshit...alcohol is alcohol...no matter how it gets into your blood stream.
Your brain will still react to it the same way...and if you were able to inhale the same amount of alcohol that would give you a hangover from drinking...you will still get a hangover.

However,
scientific studies have shown that hangover symptoms result from several causes, including “the direct physiological effects of alcohol on the brain” as well as dehydration and electrolyte imbalance (Swift & Davidson, 1998, p.56). Even if alcohol is inhaled (instead of drank), it might still inhibit vasopressin (antidiuretic hormone) release from the pituitary gland. Consequently, reduced levels of vasopressin prevent the kidneys from conserving water and thereby increase urine production; the result would be dehydration (Swift & Davidson, 1998) and likely hangover symptoms.

Swift & Davidson (whoever they are), are exactly right...DEHYDRATION is the main cause of a hangover.
If enough alcohol gets to your brain...it will make you pee till you are dehydrated, and you will get a hangover

AWOL company officials claim that it provides a low-calorie and low-carbohydrate way to consume alcohol because it enters the bloodstream through the lungs rather than the stomach. The low-carbohydrate claim is misleading because
distilled spirits do not contain any carbohydrates that the AWOL machine could remove (Answers.com, 2006).

Turning the alcohol into a mist would not "filter out" any part of its chemical makeup.
Answers.com is correct.

The company also claims that “once the alcohol enters the bloodstream, it affects the body in the same way as drinking alcohol” (AWOLUSA, 2004).

But it will take you MUCH longer to get the desired "dosage" of alcohol into your blood stream.
It would take a nebulizer anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes to turn a shotglass full of liquid into mist...AND...You would NOT absorb ALL of the alcohol out of the mist that you inhaled.
You dont even absorb ALL of the OXYGEN out of the air you breathe in.
A good quantity of it simply gets exhaled (as would a good bit of the alcohol)

When an individual uses AWOL, the alcohol vapor bypasses the consumer’s stomach and liver when inhaled. The liver’s function is to break down harmful substances like alcohol, but with AWOL,
the liver does not filter the alcohol that is absorbed through blood vessels in the lungs.

Which means you would also get all of the impurities in the alcohol that would normally have been filtered out by your liver

AWOL critics claim that this creates a quicker and more intense impact on the brain (Lovell, 2004). Inhaling as a route of administration usually permits psychoactive drugs to cross the blood brain barrier most rapidly compared to other routes of administration.
Similarly, the subjective effect of inhaling is that of a more potent drug experience.

Some drugs/medications are more potent than others.
Place a drop of cocaine, and a drop of alcohol on your tounge.
They will both be absorbed...which one do you think will affect you first.

Smoke the same amount of cocaine, and inhale the same amount of alcohol...which do you think will affect you more?

The smoked vehicle is the most potent and rapid acting. The possible health risks of inhaling alcohol vapors delivered immediately to the brain and bloodstream are unknown. Scientific studies must be conducted to examine the impact that AWOL has on the brain
and the lungs.

Could you inhale vaporized alcohol to get drunk?...Yes

Would it work as fast, or be as effective as slamming a shot?...No

If you were able to "inhale" the same amount of alcohol it normally takes to give you a hangover, would you still get a hangover?...Absolutely

If you really want to try it...dont spend $300 on a nebulizer with an "AWOL" sticker on the front of it.
Just hit some garage sales, or Ebay... and find a used nebulizer that belonged to an old asthmatic.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:46:27 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

AWOL company officials claim that it provides a low-calorie and low-carbohydrate way to onsume alcohol because it enters the bloodstream through the lungs rather than the stomach. The low-carbohydrate claim is misleading because

The statement "distilled spirits do not contain any carbohydrates" is misleading, because it is assuming people will use AWOL as a substitute for taking shots.  Most people would alternatively be drinking mixed drinks which generally contain a lot of carbs.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top