Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2006 7:47:02 PM EDT
Was the night I realized I needed a gun.  I grew up with a father that had a gun, but never used it.  It was a standard 10/22 that I got to shoot a few times growing up, but that was it.  I grew up always likeing guns, but never really planning on having one because I didn't see a need.  I got married last June, and moved into an apartment with my beautiful wife.  A few months later it was halloween night, and the wife and I were in bed.  We were both asleep when I heard glass shattering in the living room.  I immediatly jumped onto my wife thinking my body would protect her if someone were to come rushing into the room (yeah, brilliant eh?).  I waited and listend for what seemed like forever to see if anyone was moving around.  Hearing nothing, I grabbed a flashlight and the only weapon I had available to me.  My mountaineering axe.  As I stepped out of our bedroom, I was very scared because I knew that if someone was there, and they had a gun, I was screwed.  Turns out my dumb ass neighbors drunk friends had slammed into our shared wall, knocking one of the picture frames off and breaking the glass (which they refused to pay for, I really dislike them...).  Funny now, but it wasn't then.  When I walked back into our room, the first thing I told my wife was "I'm getting a gun as soon as I can."  Because of the adrenaline rush, I stayed up a few hours reasearching what would be the best "home defense" gun.  I found packing.org, posted some questions there, got some information, and then was directed to OP's box o truth website.  I bought my Remington 870 18" a few months later when the money was available.  I then saw the link for ar15 on his site, and have been here since.  Now as I get ready to go to bed, I feel much better knowing that if the same were to happen tonight, and it wasn't just the stupid neighbors, I have to tools and training to protect my wife.  Both me and the Mrs's have our firearms next to the nightstands, cell phones on the nightstand, and good flashlights.  I feel that I have come a long way in the last year and would like to thank the members of this board who have helped me and countless others who are just starting out in this great sport/lifestyle, and also to Old Painless.  Without your tests, I probably would have ended up with a 22 and figured it's good enough.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top