Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2006 4:45:11 PM EDT
Somebody? Anybody? I have never seen this anywhere else but urban Michigan, and I've lived all over this country.

Why on Earth do people put their license plate renewal tabs all over their plates? Plates are clearly marked with the location for the tab. And when you get a new tab, it has instructions clearly marked on it on where to place the tab.

I see them everyday -- plates with five, eight -- ten! -- tabs pasted willy-nilly all over the face of the license plate. One in each corner. One or two in the center. Some turned sideways and stuffed in between the numbers or letters.

And I only see this phenomenon in the cities -- Detroit, Pontiac, Flint to be specific. Is there some kind of hidden meaning or code to this? Have you seen it in your areas?

Please enlighten this cracker
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:47:27 PM EDT
[#1]
No, it's just you stupid ass yankee fucks doing that dumb shit.

J/K!  Never saw that before.  Never even heard of it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:50:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I see people in NJ with that all the time.
I just assume they are stupid.
They started doing registration with the little stickers several years ago.
Maybe the first 2 or 3 years people were confused....at this point, they are just clueless.

But to answer your question...it happens elsewhere.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:53:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I think that should be a competency test to keep your drivers license.

No, I have seen that in almost every state, city or country, that has those stickers.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I think that should be a competency test to keep your drivers license.

+1000

Well, I guess people really are that stupid then. In my world, it would be:

1) a misdemeanor to display stickers incorrectly.
2) a felony to use a stolen tab (happens here all the time).
3) all cars would have to pass a safety inspection every year (get these K-car death traps off the road)
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I see people in NJ with that all the time.
I just assume they are stupid.
They started doing registration with the little stickers several years ago.
Maybe the first 2 or 3 years people were confused....at this point, they are just clueless.

But to answer your question...it happens elsewhere.

nah the state dont require it no more. whats that term.....oh yeah fuck up move up...this is jerseys were too stupid so can it..oh well welcome to The Peoples Republic of New Jersey....damn i got to move
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I guess it's just our answer to Pickett's Charge You know that whole send 12,500 infantry across a mile of open ground against well dug in infantry and artillery. Pretty much the intellectual equivalent.

And that's Yankee to you. Not yankee. Mouth breather.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:58:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep...they do it here in PA.  It makes me laugh knowing it is proof people don't read the directions.

[hijack]Now as to what pisses me off about license plates is the covers that make it close to impossible to read even when directly behind them. [/hijack]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:08:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I was just thinking about this yesterday when I was putting on my new sticker.

We have a LOT of those morons in Kansas as well. I see it every day here.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm right outside Detroit.....I see it all the time....annoys the crap out of me. I make it a point to remove the old tabs from the plate after a couple renewals so that the stack doesn't get too big.  For awhile I was getting a new personal plate every year...changing what it said... I've had my USMC Veteran plate for 6 years now.

No Expert
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#10]
never seen it here.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#11]
dont see point of tags... cops run your plate before a stop and can find out if it's expired or not.. tags have no point imo
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:14:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess it's just our answer to Pickett's Charge You know that whole send 12,500 infantry across a mile of open ground against well dug in infantry and artillery. Pretty much the intellectual equivalent.

Snap!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:14:25 PM EDT
[#13]
see it here too

but mainly in Omaha on clapped out Hoppties

go figure
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#14]
In CT they got rid of the date tags on plates. They give us windshield stickers now.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:16:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I hate that shit soooooo much, it is one of my pet peeves.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#16]
just a display of wealth. wanting everyone to know they've owned a car for more than a year or two. when you have nothing else, that shit is kind of a big deal.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:19:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
dont see point of tags... cops run your plate before a stop and can find out if it's expired or not.. tags have no point imo

No tags or expired tags gives LEO a reason to pull you over
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:33:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd never seen it until I moved closer to a bigger city too. . .makes me wonder sometimes.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Simple answer?  Most Americans are dumbf**ks.  Especially the younger generations.    Sorry if I offend, but it's true.  Most don't know the difference between George Washington and Abe Lincoln.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:37:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:37:57 PM EDT
[#21]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
No, it's just you stupid ass yankee fucks doing that dumb shit.hat

I guess it's just our answer to Pickett's Charge You know that whole send 12,500 infantry across a mile of open ground against well dug in infantry and artillery. Pretty much the intellectual equivalent. hat

PWNED!!!!  hock.gif
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:40:34 PM EDT
[#22]
this guy in town put his 06 sticker upside down so it looks like a 90, i think i see him pulled over one day.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean ramming your face into the boot of the enemy doesnt work?

Didnt work for Grant at Cold Harbor either.....buts really here nor there.

Ive never seen this sticker phenomina.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 12:23:04 PM EDT
[#24]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

No tags or expired tags gives LEO a reason to pull you overNo, police usualy run the plates first.. before they check the tags
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#25]
It used to happen here, mostly on cars with more rust than paint.  Not too common any more, I believe it is a ticketable offense, and we have gone to a 2 year registration system.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Yep...they do it here in PA.  It makes me laugh knowing it is proof people don't read the directions.

+1 but I figured it was because of all the damn criminals who go around with tin snips cutting out registration stickers!

Here in Philadelphia it got so bad that the city started issuing "license plates" in the form of square yellow stickers (maybe 4" per side) which you would put in your rear window.  It was supposed to be as good as a license plate but the problem was that anyone outside of PA (or outside of Philadelphia county for that matter) didn't really know what they were and you'd get pulled over for not having a license plate.  So they don't issue them any more and you just have to put up with the thieves.

In the summer of 1996 I had the license plate on my motorcycle stolen.  Not just the registration sticker, the whole damn plate.  

At least if the sticker is in the middle of the plate they have a harder time snipping out the sticker -- or they just take the entire plate.

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 12:58:26 PM EDT
[#27]
I frequently see the month in the year place and the year in the months place.  If one isn't smart enough to get that correct one shouldn't be driving.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:01:42 PM EDT
[#28]
It's a "trash" thing, not an "urban" thing. I've seen stickers all over the place too. Just stupid.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#29]
What stickers? I are teh confused.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#30]

At least if the sticker is in the middle of the plate they have a harder time snipping out the sticker

That's  the correct answer!   I see plates fequently that have the corner (and tag) nipped off.  I stick mine dead center on the plate and my plate is held on with 4 tightly torqued down bolts.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:24:19 PM EDT
[#31]
I live in Los Angeles, probably the most urban spot in the country and I've never seen anyone do that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top