Posted: 10/31/2006 4:23:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#1]
How about dressing up...?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How about dressing up...?

That's a problem we're having. They don't dress up anymore... It's fine when you can't afford an uber cool costume, but something is appreciated even if you just paint your face or something.

The little kids have been adorable. One saw my dog and was like "Daddy, I want to play with the puppy!" Another one came up in a pretty princess outfit and held out her pumpkin candy bucket and said in the cutest little voice "This is my pumpkin!"

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:37:34 PM EDT
[#3]
had quite a few thanks yous, had a few not say a word, some not in costumes, but a good time was had.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#4]
The ones arounds around here are pretty good about saying "thank you".  I live in a nice area and most parents do a good job of teaching their kids good manners.
Happy Halloween!!!!
PS  Maybe they were just being nice cause they could tell I was packing my 1911 in an IWB holster under my sweater, LOL !!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:44:49 PM EDT
[#5]
true story,last year some punks where going around with a pit bull.they would ring the door bell,when you opened up expecting some adorable little ones a hugh snarling beast woul come lungin at your jugular.they had him on a leash but i literaly shit in my hanes.then they where whooping it up,hand to the mouth doing this tupac dance ''yo,yo,yo, ol skool done it isself daaaahhyyyymmm''.........bastards.im not even opening the door this year!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#6]
List of things going terribly wrong with Halloween:

1)  No "thank you," as the original poster mentioned.
2)  In some areas, no fking costumes.  On the way home from dinner, I saw a street full of kids with candy bags.  I thought they were all dressed up like rappers... nope, sonsabitches always look like that, apparently.  Not one costume in the bunch... I'm guessing 15+ kids.
3)  Older kids!  Some of them are looking around age 16+... go play your X-Box, son... let the wee ones have their day.
4)  The school where I am faculty has banned Halloween.  I had to collect all of the wrappers from the candy I gave out... can't leave contraband laying around.

I'm sure the list will grow...

- BG
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:49:56 PM EDT
[#7]
My 14 YO son went out with his freinds for the first time this year.   I let him know in no uncertain terms that he was to be respectful and courtious.   Watchout for the children younger than him and that they have the right of way.     Say thank at every door.  

He dressedup in an old tuxedo with a wolfmask.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:51:29 PM EDT
[#9]
The ones we've had have been quite nice, I'm sorry your experience is not the same.  My kids, as well, are admonished to always bid thanks when given their treats.  Our town, and our neighborhood in particular, is like a big Mayberry, it's really nice.  It won't last forever, you can bet I'm enjoying it while I can.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The ones arounds around here are pretty good about saying "thank you".  I live in a nice area and most parents do a good job of teaching their kids good manners.
Happy Halloween!!!!
PS  Maybe they were just being nice cause they could tell I was packing my 1911 in an IWB holster under my sweater, LOL !!!

Only one so far; the little kid from next door. She didn't have a costume ,but its ok since they are egyptian and probably dont know all the traditions of halloween. Dont know if they are muslim or not ,but the others in the neighborhood don't bother to trick or treat since its viewed as a pagan holiday. I told her " take all the candy you want", and her eyes got big as saucers over that.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:52:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
true story,last year some punks where going around with a pit bull.they would ring the door bell,when you opened up expecting some adorable little ones a hugh snarling beast woul come lungin at your jugular.they had him on a leash but i literaly shit in my hanes.then they where whooping it up,hand to the mouth doing this tupac dance ''yo,yo,yo, ol skool done it isself daaaahhyyyymmm''.........bastards.im not even opening the door this year!

Open the door in the most authentic cop outfit you can find.  Add firearm for effect.  Nothing scares them "yo, yo, yo, ol skool" kids more than a cop!   (Tactic also works on potheads)

Hell, if you want to roleplay, shoot the dog.

- BG
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Wow, just unbelievable.  I hope I'm never confronted with that level of stupidty.    

For the most part, the kids in my neighborhood have been very polite.  Some have taken a handful of candy but most little ones just take one and say thanks.  It really is quite obvious which kids have proper parenting.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Happy Halloween!!!!

Only one so far; the little kid from next door. She didn't have a costume ,but its ok since they are egyptian and probably dont know all the traditions of halloween. Dont know if they are muslim or not ,but the others in the neighborhood don't bother to trick or treat since its viewed as a pagan holiday. I told her " take all the candy you want", and her eyes got big as saucers over that.

At least one kid in your area knows how to have a good time.  Hopefully Mom n Pops spoon for a costume for her next year.

- BG
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#14]
We just got back with a bag of loot.  My Cowboy knew I was listening to make sure he said Thank you ...  

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:55:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Open the door in the most authentic cop outfit you can find.  Add firearm for effect.  Nothing scares them "yo, yo, yo, ol skool" kids more than a cop!   (Tactic also works on potheads)

Hell, if you want to roleplay, shoot the dog.

- BG

That made my night, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:55:50 PM EDT
[#16]
is it time for the mandatory candy inspection and sampling?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:56:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Pretty much all the kids were dressed up and said thanks and trick or treat.  I had the scary halloween music going and I was dressed up.  Halloween is fun no matter how old you are.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:56:17 PM EDT
[#18]
We've had some polite trick or treaters, some not so polite.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:58:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:00:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

from another thread:

Quoted:

I GOT YOUR TREAT RIGHT HERE!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#23]
ya like the not so polite zit faced 15 y.o. that sticks both hands in the bucket and grabs 3/4 of the sweet tarts halloween edition.

I HOPE YOUR TEETH ROT OUT YOU EFFING TURD!!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Thank god no kids asking for candy in Spanish this year. I was all prepared to place a piece of candy on the floor and stamp on it if I got that this year.

The cop checking ID at the gate probably scared the illegal vermin away.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:01:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Last year I took a cue from the Charlie Brown Halloween special...  

If it was a kid that was a suitable age for still tricks or treats and/or had a costume... candy and about a fistful of it too.  There were some great kids... awesome manners, nice costumes... lots of oohs and ahhs from the wife.  

If it was a punk dressed as the friggin Unabomber, a prostitute (not a joke) or a twelve-year-old with a fake erection that they wrapped around their neck like a scarf... well they got a wad of paper, beer bottle caps, small bits of scrap wood or some styrofoam peanuts.  

...Yeah, I took out my trash one piece at a time, except for most of the glass and cans.  

Surprisingly, I didn't find any on my lawn the next day either.  I guess showing up at the door dressed as a Colonial Militiaman with a rifle and tomahawk kinda helped too.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:02:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Shy maybe?

I think that is a lot of it.  Some kids are just way too shy to speak.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:03:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:03:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:04:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Hehe,
Their too polite around here, we wanted them to take a handful, but most would only take one or two candies.  Now I'll end up eating it all, luckily I already weighed in for my PFA.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I had about 100 kids here tonight, and everyone of them said Thank You

Maybe I need to move to MN?

Me too, probably worth it for the weminz
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:18:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Hehehehe my favorite this year was the kid from across the street. He is kinda afraid of me for some reason (like when I followed him to his house and talked to his mom about teasing my dog). Kid shows up and knocks on the door, I answer and hold out bucket of candy. Well kid looks at me then looks in bucket.  OHHHH COOl licorice, reaches in and grabs a big hand-full. I never said a word just looked at him and then he made eye contact and dropped the whole hand-full and asks "how many can I have?"

I had to chuckle and told him three. His buddy catches up and never even says trick or treat just reaches in the bucket. Well first kid grabs him and says that he has to mind his manners around this house. Second kid then puts all the candy back and says "trick or treat", he got three pieces as well.

Yes both kids said thank you as they left but only after first kid kicks the second kid in the ankle.

If you cannot raise em yourself then by goodness put some fear in em
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:20:25 PM EDT
[#33]
When my brother and I went trick or treating (long before most of you were thought of) we'd stop back home around the half way point and unload our haul.  We'd sort out what we liked and put the rest in a big bowl for mom to hand out to the kids that were too old for Halloween.  Finally, the urban dwellers started to move in and they'd didn't even use the stocking mask from their last heist.  They just held out a large plastic trash bag and grunted.  That stopped a lot of people from giving anything to anybody.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
We just got back with a bag of loot.  My Cowboy knew I was listening to make sure he said Thank you ...

[soccer mom sheep]OH MY GOD!  IS THAT A TOY *GUN*?  YOU LET YOUR KIDS PLAY WITH TOY *GUNS*?????[/soccer mom sheep]

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:27:45 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't know, this year for some reason we seem to be getting a much higher percentage of "Thank You's" than in the past. Kids seem more grateful for some reason to me. Actually gives me a little hope for the future...
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too, probably worth it for the weminz

but the cold causes shrinkage
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:32:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#38]

[soccer mom sheep]OH MY GOD!  IS THAT A TOY *GUN*?  YOU LET YOUR KIDS PLAY WITH TOY *GUNS*?????[/soccer mom sheep]

My son went as a special forces soldier tonight........he had a toy MP5 with a blue light on it (which helped him be seen too) and I was surprised no one said anything about it (we were in a nice area in Freeport, IL.) Go figure, nice to see the anti's don't always have something "smart" to say!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Are they the same ones that keep steeling your donuts and hitting on your wife?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#40]
All our Asian guest treaters said "Thank you".

~80% of the rest of our treaters said "Thank you".

The rest said nothing, but seemed to smile.

Overall a very nice Halloween.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#41]
I've lived at this location since 1994 and have never had a single Trick or Treater.  I'm not complaining.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:36:55 PM EDT
[#42]
We had a pretty dismal turnout tonight. Now I got a simple rule....if you are wearing a costume...you get candy...we did have several teenagers show up... all were in costumes. The funny thing about "thank yous".... I got it pretty consistently from the little kids (or their parents in the case of toddlers/infants), I got it from all the teenagers, it was a few of the middle kids..... that  seemed to forget.

No Expert
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:37:49 PM EDT
[#43]
We had way to many kids who were too old, one group i had some decorative gourds lying around so i tossed one in each bag. Y'all shoulda seen their faces....

And my little bro went as a.. umm.... he says elvis, but not really... more of a... weird... person... i geuss...

ETA: resized pic...  
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:40:22 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Happy Halloween!!!!

part of my costume was my Ruger P89 in a OWB holster on a pistol belt! Who would have thought it was real....it was part of my costume afterall.

No Expert
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:46:41 PM EDT
[#45]
I live in a real good neighborhood,and had about 20 kids come to the door.All said their Thank You,and the ones that did not,I could hear their parents out in the street telling them to say Thank You.All in all it was a good night here for trick or treaters.Nice and quiet now.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I tell you man I moved to MN 3 months ago. Love it. Back home in Iowa the people that came to my door were the 16+ high school punks who would try to grab half the bowl of candy. First Halloween in Minnesota, ALL of the kids were below 13 and said thank you. Its awesome up here. The women are damn fine too!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:54:12 PM EDT
[#47]
I took the kids out tonight (ages 2 and 5). The older one was much better about saying trick or treat and thank you. The younger one had trouble realizing that the loot was for him. He kept trying to return the candy from his pumpkin to the bowl.

We only went to 6-7 houses and visted a couple of friends to show off how cute the kids are.  Great fun to be out with the kids.

Mark
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

My son went as a special forces soldier tonight........he had a toy MP5 with a blue light on it (which helped him be seen too) and I was surprised no one said anything about it (we were in a nice area in Freeport, IL.) Go figure, nice to see the anti's don't always have something "smart" to say!

The cowboy had his lever action and a six-shooter on this side.  I'm in GA so nobody thought twice about it.   When he was a baby his mother bought him this pathetic looking Bumble Bee costume.  I said no way was he wearing it but she insisted.  I promptly drove down to Wal-Mart and bought a Plastick M-16 for him to carry .... he was then officially a "Killer Bee" and we were both happy.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:56:57 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Ronmann, these weren't the same hoodlums that panced you for the 4th time was it?
Sorry, Couldn't resist
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:06:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Have had lots of cute little kids and "thank yous"
Have also had the older no costume wearing teenagers who did not say thank you.
Also had a large group of Mexican kids who stepped off the walk and trampled my flowers.  They stood there oblivious until I said to stay on the walk and not step on the flowers.
Big fat 14 year old girl said "Oh sorry" and they left.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top