Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2006 12:31:33 PM EDT
There was a post awhile back about 9mm training ammo that Sportsmans Guide was selling.  I was wondering if anybody knew of anyplace that sold something like that in 40.  I'd like to get something so I can practice drawing and firing in the house.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:42:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
There was a post awhile back about 9mm training ammo that Sportsmans Guide was selling.  I was wondering if anybody knew of anyplace that sold something like that in 40.  I'd like to get something so I can practice drawing and firing in the house.

Ever try wax bullets?

1.  Empty, unprimed case.
2.  Melt parafin wax and pour in a cookie pan, about 1/4" will usually do.
3.  Let the wax cool mostly and then insert the case mouths down into the wax.  You may have to tap the UNPRIMED cases with a hammer to get them to seat into the wax.
4.  Let the wax completely harden and use pliers to remove the cases.
5.  Prime the cases.

These wax wadcutters work well in revolvers.
They'll work in semi-autos, but chambering is problematic.

I've found that a small pistol primer will push the wax wadcutters through 1.5 layers of box cardboard.  They'll put dents in drywall, but not much more (unless you get stupid).  All for the price of primers and parafin wax.  Not bad, and safe enough to practice your presentation.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:44:55 PM EDT
[#2]
you've got to be kidding me...
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:46:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
you've got to be kidding me...

People have been doing this for DECADES.
Check it out, first.

Oh, and they sell plastic bullets for the exact same purpose.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#4]
this just opened up a world of fun for me and my dartboard...  

well for me at least...
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:49:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

well for me at least...

Try bolting 1/4 of plexiglass to your TV.
Then, during the election season, find out how fun it really  is.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:55:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ever try wax bullets?

1.  Empty, unprimed case.
2.  Melt parafin wax and pour in a cookie pan, about 1/4" will usually do.
3.  Let the wax cool mostly and then insert the case mouths down into the wax.  You may have to tap the UNPRIMED cases with a hammer to get them to seat into the wax.
4.  Let the wax completely harden and use pliers to remove the cases.
5.  Prime the cases.

These wax wadcutters work well in revolvers.
They'll work in semi-autos, but chambering is problematic.

I've found that a small pistol primer will push the wax wadcutters through 1.5 layers of box cardboard.  They'll put dents in drywall, but not much more (unless you get stupid).  All for the price of primers and parafin wax.  Not bad, and safe enough to practice your presentation.

I would not fire primer only ammo in the house.  The priming compound contains lead, and is the primary source of lead contamination at the indoor ranges, ie lead compound dust.  The metallic element lead, is pretty inert, but the when toxic lead compounds get  airborne, then it is dangerous.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

well for me at least...

I can see the look on the Misses face now.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:08:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Then use the winclean primers.
Quick draw shooting does this too. You can buy the wax for that if you look up the world fast draw website. They make 45 caliber and 38 already made, or you can by the hardened wax to make your own.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:28:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Wally World Winchester Value Pack can't go wrong for general fodder
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:55:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Wax is really messy and a lot of work.  Plus I can’t imagine it’d work very well in a semi.

Speer used to sell plastic bullets, but I don’t know if they’re still available.   IIRC, Brownells sells (or at least used to sell) plastic bullets from another manufacturer.

While expensive, your best bet would really be something like these:
www.rovatec.com
www.beamhit.com

Actually, for practicing presentations I don’t think there’s anything wrong with plain old dry firing – it’ll do what you need.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top