Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#1]

thousands of undereducated U.S. soldiers wouldn't be dead

I believe this is how "progressive thinkers" justify not joining the service.  Because they are too smart.  And by labeling soldiers, sailors, and Marines as undereducated, they can still let everyone know that they (the asshats) are still better people, but it's not the servicepeoples fault.  It's society's fault.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#2]
He's comparing a '74 VW Dasher to a 2005 Audi?

What a fucking moron.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Any "writer" who opens a column with a third-grade grammatical error cannot be taken seriously.

I won't get into the politics of his article, because it's evident that his point is to bash the current Administration.

There are serious technical issues with his comparison. I'm sure that a tree-hugging leftist like the author would shit his d'shiki to learn of the huge volumes of NOx, SOx and VOCs that his belved mother's beloved Dasher spewed into the environment, mostly from 93-octane (or higher) fuel, as was generally available at the time. And while such a car may have been able to occasionally wrest 30 MPG, the reliability of the vehicle was, frankly, poor. More than a few first-generation water-cooled VWs committed seppuku on the highways and byways of amrica, dumping untold gallons of toxic coolant into the groundwater. Further, these cars were built from nearly all virgin material, in plants that were resourse hogs themselves, whereas his Audi has a tremendous amount of recycled material, and is built in a factory that is not only energy efficient, but efficient with water, gas and other resources.

The guy's an idiot, and the Dasher was a POS.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:21:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I am seriously tempted to write him a rubettal but I know that it would do no good. In fact I bet he would snicker knowing he had got under a conservatives skin.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#5]
sfgate.com  didn't even bother reading since it came from that fag infested place.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:04:18 PM EDT
[#6]
"Asshat" doesn't begin to do justice to this waste of DNA.  If you leave aside his lack of facility with basic grammar, his juvenile insulting of our president, his incomprehension of global politics and his stuck-up, elitist attitude towards our troops, all you are left with is a moronic hypocrite.

The whole point of his poorly delivered rant is that cars should get better gas mileage.  He blames the usual suspects (in the warped minds of leftists):

Why does every car on the road suck down gas like Dick Cheney sucks life force? Why did we, in fact, go in the opposite direction and embrace bloated and imbecilic SUVs over elegant, efficient cars? Simple: Because there has been exactly zero pressure on Big Auto to change. Because your government does not care. Because profits matter more than social responsibility.

And then he reveals that the car he purchased, a turbocharged Audi A3, gets only 25 mpg city, 31 mpg highway, and praises himself for it:

I enjoy the fact that, by choosing this model, I tried to minimize its impact on the world, short of giving up driving entirely and getting a bike. But I hate that it is, in the most vital way, no better than my mom's Dasher, 30 years ago. I hate the fact that, despite all our protests, despite all our gizmos and high-tech dazzle, the Powers That Be still don't seem to care.

To the columnist Mark Morford I say:  Listen asshole, if you want "Big Auto" to build more fuel-efficient cars, then buy more fuel-efficient cars.  And you did not do everything you could to minimize the impact of your purchase short of buying a bicycle.  There are many transportation alternatives that get better gas mileage and don't involve pedaling.  Heck, you can't trip over your own dick without running into a Civic or Corolla that blows away your Audi in terms of gas mileage.  You are the problem you rail against.

Let's face it.  Mark wasn't really interested in reducing our dependence on oil.  No, he wanted a nice luxury car - a turbocharged car.  And I guess since he is a liberal elite, in his mind he is entitled to it.  Do as I say, not as I do, and leave the real sacrifices for the "undereducated soldiers".

What a fucking hypocrite.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:32:19 PM EDT
[#7]
What a jackass.  What's up with everyone calling us soldiers dumb today?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:35:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I saw the byline and closed the window without reading it.

Morford is a cockholster.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:44:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm currently working on my second degree... and I'll take a beer with a .mil fellow over a college kid any day of the week.

- BG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top