Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/31/2006 10:15:28 AM EDT
For goodness sakes, does he NOT have speech people to help him with this?  I voted for him twice, and I think he's trying to be a good President.  That said, could somebody PLEASE tell him that it's "nuclear" and not "nuke-you-lur"?

If you know President Bush, please ask him to click on the little speaker next to the term here to get a clear pronounciation: www.answers.com/nuclear&r=67  

I have personally heard him say "nuke-you-lur" on the news dozens of different times since the North Korea and Iran things, and it's beginning to drive me crazy!!!    He's supposed to be our leader - can't he at least sound intelligent?

ETA: I'm relatively new, so I'm sorry this has been mentioned before numerous times.  I ran a search and got nothing.  So sorry - please forgive me for living!    Also, if you're taking this seriously as a real criticism, please check your bad attitude at the door.  Who cares if he says anything wrong?!?  I'm just happy as heck he's not speaking Spanish!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:17:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Meh, all the countries just don't want to hear their name after HOWEVER he says it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:18:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Tomato.....Toemato........STRA-TEE-JURY!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:18:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Oncest I was at Wimbleton and I could see the chimley at the nucular power plant. Later, I was nekkid at the libary.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:19:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:20:26 AM EDT
[#5]
And less not fer-get:

SKRIMP!!!!

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:20:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
He's supposed to be our leader - can't he at least sound intelligent?

Like Komrad Klinton? He was so intelligent that he didn't understand the meaning of the word "is". And yet, so many think of him as one of our most intelligent presidents. If it rubs sand in the world's collective vagina for GW to pronounce nuclear wrong, then I'm ALL FOR IT.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:21:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Sorry if this has been posted before.  I DID do a search of "Bush nuclear" before posting - no dice.

ETA: @ HKgnnr!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
For goodness sakes, does he NOT have speech people to help him with this?  I voted for him twice, and I think he's trying to be a good President.  That said, could somebody PLEASE tell him that it's "nuclear" and not "nuke-you-lur"?

If you know President Bush, please ask him to click on the little speaker next to the term here to get a clear pronounciation: www.answers.com/nuclear&r=67  

I have personally heard him say "nuke-you-lur" on the news dozens of different times since the North Korea and Iran things, and it's beginning to drive me crazy!!!    He's supposed to be our leader - can't he at least sound intelligent?

Who fucking cares?

It's nitpicking mollycoddling shit like this that really pisses me off. I mean, really...who fucking cares? Who cares if he says "the google"? Who cares if he says "the internets"? It's not like he's trying to describe which section of the brain the surgeon he's talking through the procedure needs to operate on.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:22:00 AM EDT
[#9]
This is only, what, two years ago?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Strenf.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#11]
IBTAFMRP

In Before The Apologists For Mentally Retarded Politicians
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
IBTAFMRP

Wow.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:24:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who fucking cares?

It's nitpicking mollycoddling shit like this that really pisses me off. I mean, really...who fucking cares? Who cares if he says "the google"? Who cares if he says "the internets"? It's not like he's trying to describe which section of the brain the surgeon he's talking through the procedure needs to operate on.

Damn, too late
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Who f*cking cares?

Obviously, I do.  He's a man I voted for that I selected to represent me in the world.  He should try to pronounce things that are COMMON words such as this correctly.  There is no interpretation of the pronounciation of "nuclear."  Only one way to say it.

I understand if he can't say something like "tortilla" or some other foreign-origination word, but "nuclear"?  

By the way, you are way too serious.  This is obviously a joke thread, and you are adding no jokes to it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:26:12 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
IBTAFMRP

Wow.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:27:39 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm not saying he's stupid - he's a very intelligent man.  It just seems odd that no one has told him he's saying it wrong.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:27:43 AM EDT
[#17]
all your last year post are belong to W
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#18]
The chicken shit factor is high today.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:28:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I'm not saying he's stupid - he's a very intelligent man.  It just seems odd that no one has told him he's saying it wrong.

I think Barbara Walters told him he was saying it wrong and he said "I really don't give a fuck, I am president and can say what I want."
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:30:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I think Barbara Walters told him he was saying it wrong and he said "I really don't give a fuck, I am president and can say what I want."

HAHA!  That's the kind of thing I was fishing for.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:30:51 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
IBTAFMRP

Wow.

He's a liberal, take it with a grain of salt. He's protected under the Americans with disabilities act.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:31:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Jimmy Carter pronounced it like that, was a "nukular" engineer in the Navy, and nobody who's a Dem seems to have a problem with his way of saying it.....WTF?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice to get pronunciation tips from someone with a hairlip.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:32:43 AM EDT
[#25]
This is oh so original as well… I would guess we have only had 500 or so threads on this subject.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:33:00 AM EDT
[#26]
"we got a saying in texas....fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice....we cant get fooled again"  

MAybe he flubbed up that line cause he was thinking about that rock song by 'the Who'.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:33:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#28]
This isn't the first thread about this. I believe in the last one somebody mentioned that he does it on purpose to get people's goats. In private he will say it correctly. I'm not sure about the validity of that though.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
This isn't the first thread about this. I believe in the last one somebody mentioned that he does it on purpose to get people's goats. In private he will say it correctly. I'm not sure about the validity of that though.

Sweet.  In that case, he needs to keep doing it.

I was mainly fishing for funny comments, but I'm getting a lot of rude ones too.  Thus is the ARFCOM way, I guess.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#30]
I've been looking for video of Carter talking about nuclear weapons. Strange that google/archive/youtube seem to have nothing... I remember peanut boy talking a great deal about "Newklur Dissarmment."

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Fucking sad that this matters so much to you.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

He's well aware that he's saying it wrong. It's part of his Southern charm.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:54:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Rekon nukuler bombs is pierful stuff. Ima keep 'em out thu hans uh terist, kuza thats whut a presdent does.

The man isn't dumb, but I must admit that I have a had time watching him on the tube.
Public speaking is not one of his strong points.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:58:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Actually, both pronounciations are correct.

dictionary.reference.com/browse/nuclear

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:04:33 AM EDT
[#36]
It drives a lot of Democrats I know nuke-ular.  That's a good enough reason for me to want him to keep doing it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:06:18 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Actually, both pronounciations are correct.

dictionary.reference.com/browse/nuclear

Actually, it says it is "by metathesis" which means it's wrong and a simple transposition within a word of letters, sounds, or syllables.  However, it is common enough to be semi-accepted (like "ain't").  

Quoted:
F*cking sad that this matters so much to you.  

Goodness gracious people, stop being serious!  A few of you got the point, at least, but many of you are taking this WAY too seriously.  Oh, it matters so much to me that I took two seconds to type some text and click submit.  I have a lot invested in this scientific research with my political and linguistics expert peers here on ARFCOM.  

I was bored, so I posted something to get the ball rolling.  I have gotten quite a few laughs out of this thread, but I'm sensing that many ARFCOMmunists need to take fiber supplements.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Who really gives a fuck about how he pronounces that word??????????

It is not worth another useless thread.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:16:52 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Jimmy Carter pronounced it like that, was a "nukular" engineer in the Navy, and nobody who's a Dem seems to have a problem with his way of saying it.....WTF?

I used to be a Dem, (emphasis on used to) and it drove me somewhat bonkers to know he did that, even though I'm actually too young to have ever heard him say it in semi-real-time (Born during the Reagan years).

Humanities major in college, though; I like to hear thing spoken at least somewhat correcctly. I think I've heard GWB say it almost-right once, and I about jumped for joy.
My theory is, it would take away some of the "he's an idiot" side of super-libtards' arguments, if he said it a little more correctly...JMHO & YMMV and all that
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:18:25 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Who really gives a f*ck about how he pronounces that word??????????

It is not worth another useless thread.

And yet you posted anyway to bump it to the top and added no jokes?

The serious John Kerry thread is right here:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=512753&page=6�
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#41]
4 Presidents are guilty, Ike, Carter, Clinton, and Bush Jr.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucular
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:21:52 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
4 Presidents are guilty.

Oh noes!  Super-Pres Klinton said it too???/?????//?  I bet the Dems beat him with bamboo poles for that one.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
4 Presidents are guilty.

Oh noes!  Super-Pres Klinton said it too???/?????//?  I bet the Dems beat him with bamboo poles for that one.

Lawdy, lawdy and he was a Rhodes scholar and all that
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:26:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Unfortunately for many of us baby-boomers, the nuke-you-ler pronunciation was pretty common and many of us grew up hearing it pronounced that way all the time.

Kind of like some parts  of the country pronounce Aunt as ant and some as ont.

If this was all I had to get frazzled about I'ld feel lucky in my life.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:47:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Yeah, he's a real genius.

"My trip to Asia begins here in Japan for an important reason. It begins here because for a century and a half now, America and Japan have formed one of the great and enduring alliances of modern times. From that alliance has come an era of peace in the Pacific."

George W. Bush - Tokyo, Japan, Feb. 18, 2002

Except for that whole war in the Pacific thing.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:51:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Irregardless, it's a mute point.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

HAHA!  I thought it was a "moo point" - you know like what cows talk about - who cares?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Good one!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

got news for you

He pronounces it just fine when he's not playing to the public.

He has a reputation as a dumb hick when he's actually a smart blueblood.   Its all to maintain the illusion that he is a Texas good ole boy.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:08:33 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sweet.  In that case, he needs to keep doing it.

I was mainly fishing for funny comments, but I'm getting a lot of rude ones too.  Thus is the ARFCOM way, I guess.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he can speak like the well-educated Harvard/Yale graduate he is. He just chooses not to because (a) it makes his opponents think he's "stupid" and (b) it helps him stay in touch with the voters of flyover country who pronounce it that way.

I've heard him speak as the governor of Texas, and he sounded NOTHING like he does when he makes presidential speeches and such...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top