Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2006 9:56:20 PM EDT
Co-worker and I were talking couple days ago about ideas for a book.  He's into "alternative history" fiction stories. Stuff like: What would have happend if the south won the Civil War.  

Anyway he had the idea for a book of bringing back the founding fathers.  Through the wonders of science or time travel or what ever he decided to use; bring the founding fathers to the year 2006 and see what they would do.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:00:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Why fat people smell like sour milk? And more questions explained!
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:07:44 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're gonna bring people back..

Have gladiatorial-style arena combat.  Bring back historical figures and make them fight to the death.

Hitler and Napoleon
Capone and Stalin
Alexander the Great and Genghis Khan
Abbott and Costello
Mussolini and Walt Disney
Patton and Eisenhower

I'd buy it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:08:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Explaining the phenomenon of why and how people suck so much. And how so many stupid ones still survive and breed..
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:10:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Co-worker and I were talking couple days ago about ideas for a book.  He's into "alternative history" fiction stories. Stuff like: What would have happend if the south won the Civil War.  

Anyway he had the idea for a book of bringing back the founding fathers.  Through the wonders of science or time travel or what ever he decided to use; bring the founding fathers to the year 2006 and see what they would do.

Fan of Harry Turtledove?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:10:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Ever read "Guns of the South" by Turtledove?  AK-47's during the Civil War turned the tide and the South did in fact win.  

ETA:  Guy above beat me by mere seconds.....
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:11:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ever read "Guns of the South" by Turtledove?  AK-47's during the Civil War turned the tide and the South did in fact win.  

You have moobs.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:12:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You have moobs.

Indeed.  ...and they're floppy.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have moobs.

Indeed.  ...and they're floppy.

On that brain-drained note, I'm gonna hit the sack.

Turtledove rocks.  Freedom!
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:14:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:14:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I try to do nipple twisters on him, but he's very protective of them.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:18:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fan of Harry Turtledove?

Yes. the "Guns of the south" book is one of his favorite books.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been thinking about a YA book about CA and the Civil War.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:20:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Funny you mention that, I've got a couple I'm working on right now.

One is a fantasy/sci fi book about a man living in modern times that time travels in his sleep, but can only go forward in time. It's really a series of books I think, the first being his growing awareness that these are more than just dreams then as the books progress his using the power of foresight to affect things both good and bad.

The other book I'm doing is a book about a very clever serial killer whose MO is to frame very respectable, upstanding people for his murders. Policemen, judges, doctors, etc. He's not as much about the murders as is the framing, ruining lives, etc.

I'll let you know when i'm famous. hehe.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#14]
"War stories of a Refrigeration Repairman"
---A modern day look at the decline of civilization through customer's actions and attitudes.

By DrFrige
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:39:55 PM EDT
[#15]
My idea was to have a bunch or highly respected and honest cops go off the reservation at the end of their careers and knock over one of those gambling boats that are popular in Florida.  They retire with no worries.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:47:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I would like to write a fun and intriguing book about the usage of iron sights and basic marksmanship. Problem is nobody would read it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:51:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I would like to write a fun and intriguing book about the usage of iron sights and basic marksmanship. Problem is nobody would read it.

make it a children's illustrated book  ...it would be cool seriously
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:54:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
My idea was to have a bunch or highly respected and honest cops....

So science fiction then??

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:08:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd publish my memiors. A personal introspection into seemingly normal daily events.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:11:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I am working on a few right now.

One is a DIY book to help the average homeowner complete simple remodels to gain value in their homes with a minimal investment and increase their skills with their hands (and add to the tool collection, of course ).  I cover planning, materials, cost versus value, the proper use of tools and materials, and simple ways to make difficult looking jobs easier for first timers.

The second is a science fiction novelette that can best be described as a cross between Space:  Above and Beyond, Earth2, Steven Brust's Jhereg series, and The Chronicles of Riddick.  Not really sure how else to explain it as I pyramid write, which is basically composing the ending, then the beginning, and allowing those to create the storyline complete with plot(s).  

Finally, I am putting quite a bit of effort into a Christian novel for those who suffer certain trials of faith.  Not to provide answers, but to learn to ask the questions differently in a form of a self-help contextual understanding of the things that often pine the Christian faith and notch our beliefs with confusions.  

Hey, if I put these all together, I'd have a novel about a defunct Christian assassin in space trying to re-tile their bathroom.  Hmmmm...  
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:20:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Already wrote a couple...now if someone would just publish one...
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:41:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:15:42 AM EDT
[#23]
I already did

in my freshman year of college.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:10:19 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
If you're gonna bring people back..

Have gladiatorial-style arena combat.  Bring back historical figures and make them fight to the death.

Hitler and Napoleon
Capone and Stalin
Alexander the Great and Genghis Khan
Abbott and Costello
Mussolini and Walt Disney
Patton and Eisenhower

I'd buy it.

Still being half asleep, I read that as Capote and Stalin
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:37:12 AM EDT
[#25]
It was a dark and stormy night ...

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:53:15 AM EDT
[#26]
MacDonalds of Glencoe Massacre of 1692 in Glencoe Scotland by order of William of Orange.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:36:34 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
MacDonalds of Glencoe Massacre of 1692 in Glencoe Scotland by order of William of Orange.

So some guy named Bill ordered an orange juice at a McDonald's in Glencoe and when they tried to charge him $16.92 for it, he massacred them?  
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:38:54 AM EDT
[#28]
All the ways to pull fast one syou never knew about.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:55:35 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So some guy named Bill ordered an orange juice at a McDonald's in Glencoe and when they tried to charge him $16.92 for it, he massacred them?  

I cannot even begin to tell you how bad a play on words that was.
You must now change your login to RickRongRiter.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:36:50 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh come on, you can tell me...I made it as bad as I possibly could, after all...  
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:46:45 AM EDT
[#31]
In the process of doing one now.  It has original poems and photographs (by me).  Not Arfcom mainstream kind of stuff, though.

It's a lot of work..

Dave.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:47:54 AM EDT
[#32]
WTH is this a thread to get ideas for a book...?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 9:54:19 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
WTH is this a thread to get ideas for a book...?

No, just something to discuss.  If I had the ability to actually write a book and not make it sound like a 25 page police report, I have a couple idea's that are not listed,a nd would be in the non-fiction area.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 9:58:43 AM EDT
[#34]
I keep thinking I'll write a book about my experiences with my late husband and his brain tumor.  When he was sick, I was reading everything I could get my hands on with regards to cancer, but couldn't find one other than Lance Armstrong's book which really focused on brain cancer, and the effect it has on memory loss, dementia, loss of coordination, hallucinations, etc.

Not much out there for brain cancer that I could find at the time.
Plus it would be good therapy, I think.

Someday.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:04:38 AM EDT
[#35]
I wrote one book, actually a manuscript (unpublished) but it is copyrighted (Conspiracy of Hate: The Shocking Truth About The Freemasons!), and I'm working on the second book, (untitled), is about a mid-life crisis banker that has a run-in with some 1%ers and a series of events that help him deal with his own problems in another way.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:08:20 AM EDT
[#36]
A book on Zombie survival, One with out life costing errors.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:25:18 PM EDT
[#37]
If I could have a wish, it would be to pull a team of extreme weapons and survival experts together and write a serious survival book against zombies and all manner of ARFCOM tinfoil hat type stuff.

I think I've hung my writing hat up these days though.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#38]
If I was to write a book it would be a techno thriller, like the books by Larry Bond and Tom Clancy.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#39]
I actually have been working on a few books in my spare time.

I wrote a small guide on survival basics and printed out numerous copies for family and friends. Included was basic information on how to prepare for NBC terrorist attacks.

I have done numerous works on human behavior analysis and social perception.  And also  relationship studies and theories of relationship structure.  

Also wrote some small comedy pieces. One was about crazy things people say.  Another was about some of the off color poetry found scratched on the walls of the Men's room.  

And I have a fiction story started about a washed out detective investigating mysterious rural murders committed by a pyschopathic teenager.  

I love to write.  But, I don't often take time to do it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:40:45 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must now change your login to RickRongRiter.

+1.  Don't trust anybody whose name is Campbell!  

That said, my book is called "Zombie Drawdown".  Chapter 1 is entitled "Hookers and Blow". That's as far as my concept has gotten!

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:47:22 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm past the thinking stage.  I've a 600 plus page single space manuscript that excludes a 27 page bibliography and a 25 page index.  The subject is the black powder sharpshooter.  These were the guys who dealt out death from afar in the days when blackpowder was the only propellant for lead.  Think of the blackpowder sharpshooter as the functional equivalent of a sniper but equipped with a more primitive firearm.  It was a lot more dangerous than a modern sniper in that blackpowder discharges a huge, visible cloud of white smoke, making return-fire by other sharpshooters or artillery a credible and dangerous counter.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:50:57 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fan of Harry Turtledove?

Yes. the "Guns of the south" book is one of his favorite books.

Still haven't read "Guns of the South", but "How Few Remain" is also a great book by him.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:51:17 PM EDT
[#44]
My battle with toenail fungus.  In the end, I'm going to have to kill it with fire.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:53:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Black guns,bitches and blow.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:57:15 PM EDT
[#46]
I've been working on writing a disaster/SHTF book centered around some good original sci-fi, not the usual zombies, meteors, epidemics etc.
The main character is an arfcom type that is prepared and does things right. I'd have a parallel story invovling sheeple who get pwn3d.

I think I will be able to start writing this as soon as I come up with a plot, characters, and some good original sci-fi.

anyone have any ideas please IM them to me. (All ideas submitted become my intellectual property).
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Already written and published... Tempus Fugit.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:43:50 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted: Co-worker and I were talking couple days ago about ideas for a book.  He's into "alternative history" fiction stories. Stuff like: What would have happend if the south won the Civil War.

I thought The South DID win the war of northern agression.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top