Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2006 8:26:03 PM EDT
When typing how many spaces are you supposed to leave between sentences?

I've always done 1 but my room mate insists that it is supposed to be 2.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#1]
ibtp

eta:And my vote counted as 100%
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Two.  Its law.

Maybe even MLA standard.

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:32:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:34:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:35:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I think we all learned in English101 its supposed to be 2, but everyone forgot. Look up MLA style standards.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#6]
The results of this poll will affect the paper I'm currently typing.

ETA: looked up MLA.

How many spaces should I leave after a period or other concluding mark of punctuation?
Publications in the United States today usually have the same spacing after a punctuation mark as between words on the same line. Since word processors make available the same fonts used by typesetters for printed works, many writers, influenced by the look of typeset publications, now leave only one space after a concluding punctuation mark. In addition, most publishers' guidelines for preparing a manuscript on disk ask authors to type only the spaces that are to appear in print.

Because it is increasingly common for papers and manuscripts to be prepared with a single space after all punctuation marks, this spacing is shown in the examples in the MLA Handbook and the MLA Style Manual. As a practical matter, however, there is nothing wrong with using two spaces after concluding punctuation marks unless an instructor or editor requests that you do otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:36:31 PM EDT
[#7]
If you ever took a typing class, they teach 2 spaces between sentences.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:37:53 PM EDT
[#8]

It used to be 2 (in my field), but now a lot of the journals (including the ones that use the APA standard, I believe) are using 1.

So my impression is that either is acceptable, and it certainly ins't something I'd get overly concerned about.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#9]
All four years of highschool I was in writing classes and we almost always had to use MLA standards and whatnot (other standards the year we did the school's paper) and nothing ever came up about using two spaces. But we always used computers anyways, so any spacing issues would've gotten taken care of by the program.

As long as it was 12 point, double spaced, I don't think anyone cared either way.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Your question does not provide enough detail for anyone to provide the correct answer.

Two spaces should be used between sentences only in a monospaced font (e.g., Courier), which are increasingly uncommon. For proportional fonts (TNR, Arial, Tahoma, etc.), which are the fonts we use on computers, only one space should be used.

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:42:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess this is using Times New Roman, which seems to be the default these days. However, in the past I've use courier new quite a bit, though it seems bigger than TNR by quite a bit.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:42:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Your question does not provide enough detail for anyone to provide the correct answer.

Two spaces should be used between sentences only in a monospaced font (e.g., Courier), which are increasingly uncommon. For proportional fonts (TNR, Arial, Tahoma, etc.), which are the fonts we use on computers, only one space should be used.

I guess I'm behind the times.  I use monospace fonts on my computer (Andale Mono in particular).
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:47:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess I'm behind the times.  I use monospace fonts on my computer (Andale Mono in particular).

Wow Andale mono is a nice font (and It also happens to add some length to my paper )
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#14]
The rule is two. But what asshat would waste the keystroke on another space when he could mispell a word instead?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#15]
two.  'nuff said.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:12:25 PM EDT
[#16]
double spacing is easier to read
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top