Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/30/2006 7:59:20 PM EDT
well? im gonna go shoot in the morning and then talk to one when a buddy of mine wakes up. what do i need to ask them? it'll be for the marines.

help me arfcom-anobie, your my only hope!
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:04:35 PM EDT
[#1]
talk to him and report back what he says.

Dont sign anything yet.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:06:28 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah, please report back cuz i am very close to doing the same thing myself and would be very interested as to how it goes.

SB
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:09:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Which branch?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:10:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Which branch of service are you considering?

What type of job are you looking towards?

Always see what the other branches of service have in line with what you want to do.

Seriving your country in ANY branch of the military is a good move.  Though all the branches do things a bit different depending on what the primary goal of that branch is.

S-34
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#5]
its going to be the marines, my buddies went to talk to the airforce today and they were hella impressed but the guy said that they werent relly looking to recruit atm.

but i dont know what i relly want to do yet, and thats what i hope to find out tommarrow. i am looking at eod and of course 0311. but i would love to be an armorer.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:  what do i need to ask them?
The printout for  the physical qualifications for your age. You might as well train so you'll have one less thing to worry about later.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#7]
my suggestion, ask lots of questions. then go talk to a completely diff recruiter at another station, and ask him same questions.  then compare results, if they are off, go to a third station till you start getting consistency. finally go to a recruiting station with answers for the recruiter and tell them in no uncertain terms what you want.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:16:23 PM EDT
[#8]
am i going to iraq or afghanistan but seriously, best of luck to you!
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#9]
bump for general

i need to know
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#10]
"Where do I turn in my soul?"
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:06:52 PM EDT
[#11]
$$$$$$$$$$$$
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:11:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Have you taken your ASVAB yet? I was talking to the USMC myself, but after I took the test they suddenly stopped calling, and the Navy wants me now

I didn't sign up the first time, but they're on round two with me and they're pushing advanced programs... It's a hell of a big decision to make, isn't it? Not easy.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:12:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Have you taken your ASVAB yet? I was talking to the USMC myself, but after I took the test they suddenly stopped calling, and the Navy wants me now

I didn't sign up the first time, but they're on round two with me and they're pushing advanced programs... It's a hell of a big decision to make, isn't it? Not easy.

ive yet to take it. i relly need to though
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#14]
It should be offered at your school. Maybe even twice a year I think. Take it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:15:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Do you know what you want to do?  If you want a combat MOS, they'll be more than happy to oblige you.  I chose the ARMY because they gave me more choices and I took a technical MOS.  If I had it to do over again, I would've gone infantry.  Isn't that why people join the military....to fight.  Instead I got a boring four year enlistment with tech training that is useless outside of the ARMY (doesn't matter what training, its all useless, but I was 23R).  

When I see what the combat troops are doing today, I don't really feel too proud of the time I served, unsupervised and screwing around in a MOS maintaining outdated NG missiles.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:16:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

im out of school
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#17]
The only thing I remember from when I enlisted, in the ARMY, was that if you knew you wanted AIRBORN school, your recruiter could work it into the contract.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:58:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

im out of school

Well you can also take the test at my recruiting station, probably the same for yours. You should also talk to real Marines on this board about what you're doing. Cinccinatus (I think thats how it's spelled) is a good guy. There are others, but I can't remember their names right now. Should be easy to find, just start an Army/USMC thread and they'll come running

And Swebb... the fact that you served at all is more than many of your countrymen did. The military isn't JUST the infantry, it's everyone working together. Where I will wind up will do ZERO good in Iraq/Afghanistan, but there will be some fun if NK/China start shit

Everyone helps.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:09:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:15:57 AM EDT
[#20]
have you thought of doing a Ranger Contract (believe its called opt 40) its pretty cool after basic you go thru rip and if you make it you go to jump school then Ranger Batt.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:17:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Ask questions about specific jobs in which you are interested.  Ask about training and educational benefits.  G I Bill has different levels, and the service doesn't have to give you the max unless they want to based on duty assignment, location,  job you take and how long you enlist for.

Contrary to popular opinion, the recruiter cannot promise you anything binding.  Hisjob is to prequalify you and "sell|"| you on the idea of joining his branch of service.  The recruiter sends you to MEPS where you get your physical, they evaluater your ASVAB scores, and then you finally do talk to somebody with authority to make a contract.  And that guy is going to want you to have already made the decision to join for whatever jobs, training, benefits/bonus/etc,  and duty station that pop up on the ol' computer.

You can sign anything that the recruiter places in front of you and it still is totally unenforcable until you leave for basic training.  Recruits are sworn in 3 times.  First when you sign the initial contract.  2nd when you report for transportation to basic training.  3rd when you arrive at basic training and are in-processing into the service.  You can tell them to stuff it and walk away up to that third oath, then your ass belongs to the service.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:52:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Ask him if you'll learn to spell tomorrow in Basic.  Woops, that's for the Army, maybe you should try the Marines!!

P.S.  Just screwing with you.  Thank you for serving our country and just ask the recruiter not to BS you.  I told mine when I walked into his office I was going to enlist Army and just needed to know how to choose my MOS.  Years later he told me he didn't need to lie, he already had a sure recruit.  TIFWIW.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:57:54 AM EDT
[#23]

You can sign anything that the recruiter places in front of you and it still is totally unenforcable until you leave for basic training. Recruits are sworn in 3 times. First when you sign the initial contract. 2nd when you report for transportation to basic training. 3rd when you arrive at basic training and are in-processing into the service. You can tell them to stuff it and walk away up to that third oath, then your ass belongs to the service.

I only took the oath once, about nine months before I shipped for Basic.  Does that invalidate my DD 214?  
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:03:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Just ask him "Where do I sign?" He'll like that.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:03:24 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

You can sign anything that the recruiter places in front of you and it still is totally unenforcable until you leave for basic training. Recruits are sworn in 3 times. First when you sign the initial contract. 2nd when you report for transportation to basic training. 3rd when you arrive at basic training and are in-processing into the service. You can tell them to stuff it and walk away up to that third oath, then your ass belongs to the service.

I only took the oath once, about nine months before I shipped for Basic.  Does that invalidate my DD 214?  

Yes.  Please send it back.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:12:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Tell the recruiter you will sign for 4 years guaranteed Combat Arms (infantry, Armor, Engineers, Artillery).  Anything less and you walk.

And you won't be going to Iraq or Afghanistan.  You will be going to Iraq and Afghanistan.

Sink or swim.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:13:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Take your lawyer.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:24:08 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm going to talk to a Marine recruiter tomorrow too. I had already spoken to one several months ago, but damn he was worthless. The recruiter I spoke to on the phone said about as much of the 1st guy too. I'll just be taking the practice ASVAB tomorrow though.

I have two things working against me though. First I only have a GED (yes I know it was a stupid decision) and I'm not able to meet the physical requirements yet, but I've been working on that and will be able to in the near future. The recruiter told me that as long as I could meet the physical requirements (I want to surpass them with ease though), he could get me in with the GED without having to acrue 15 college credits. He worked with my brother (who also needed to get into shape), so I know he's a good guy.

I have been and will continue to be hitting the gym every night to continue to drop the weight and increase my stamina/strength to make good on my promise. I want to go infantry as well.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:44:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Ask them about "back pay from Boot Camp"! That's one of my old favorites! I wasn't a recruiter, but it seemed like somebody in MCT who claimed to be "in the know" would say something about we're getting "back pay from Boot Camp" in our next pay.
Where this came from, I have no idea. I still haven't met anyone who actually received "back pay from Boot Camp"! Hell, we were just happy to not have our pay dicked up!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:50:06 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

You must have passed the ASVAB then.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:53:03 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must have passed the ASVAB then.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 9:01:53 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Ask them about "back pay from Boot Camp"! That's one of my old favorites! I wasn't a recruiter, but it seemed like somebody in MCT who claimed to be "in the know" would say something about we're getting "back pay from Boot Camp" in our next pay.
Where this came from, I have no idea. I still haven't met anyone who actually received "back pay from Boot Camp"! Hell, we were just happy to not have our pay dicked up!

Uhhhhh I'm pretty sure you get paid while in boot camp and that money goes into your checking/savings account.

My brother bought a whole new computer after getting out of bootcamp and he'd never had a job in his life.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 9:27:10 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uhhhhh I'm pretty sure you get paid while in boot camp and that money goes into your checking/savings account.

My brother bought a whole new computer after getting out of bootcamp and he'd never had a job in his life.

I'm not talking about the paycheck you get at the end of Phase Three before you go on 10 days Boot Leave, I'm talking about the "magic check" that was supposed to catch up to us after that! First I heard of it was when we were at MCT (Marine Combat Training, Camp Geiger ) in 1995. At least of one my fellow Marines out there knows what I'm talking about!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 9:30:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Ask him if it's true that your enlistment is going to put some poor ewe out of work.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 9:33:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Tell the air force you want security forces and they will change their tune ASAP.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#36]
final bump
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
i am looking at eod and of course 0311. but i would love to be an armorer.
EOD isn't going to happen.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:08:38 PM EDT
[#38]
well im back. turns out the marine guy wasent there so we went to talk with the navy guy. i wasent too impressed with him. he basically said that they only had sign up bonus's for spec ops guys, but eod was one of his spec op jobs. and they were offering $35000! for a sign up bonus for it! i was floored. it was $40,000 for seals. wow.  im going to go work out tonight so thats gonna be fun.

and why would you say that eod aint gonna happen?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#39]
I know the navy is pushing SEALS recruitment hard. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#40]
the reason the army offers Spec. Forces Baby contracts is that they get some kid to sign up, and then 80% or more fail the course, they then become basic infantry and lose the sppecial bonus. thats probably what the navy is doing as well, beware too good a deal!.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#41]

but eod was one of his spec op jobs. and they were offering $35000!

You know what EOD does right?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:32:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#43]
the Navy guy wasnt fully honest with you. You cant join in the navy with a seals contract that says you are going to be a seal.  What they do is make you a EDT (I think thats what its called, cant remember the name) but it is essentially a non-rated person that gets sent to dive school(a hard school). If he passes, then he goes to BUDS.(a very hard school). After BUDS, you aint a SEAL yet. You get assigned to a unit and have to go though quals to get your warfare pin. Then, and only then will you get your bonus of 40,000(payable once a fiscal year over 4 years).  Also, since you are non-rated and the dive school and BUDS are long and far between you will not be able to advance in rank for a long time. You wont be an E4 for at least 2 or 3 years.

Basically, if you are not motivated or physically capable and you get dropped from dive school or BUDS then you still have a 4 year contract with the navy and they will try to send you to the fleet or whatever they need at the time.  If I remember correctly, 50% of the people that go to dive school get dropped and 80% of people that go to buds get dropped.  Usually because they blow out a knee or some shit.

Also, with EOD you have to go to dive school and another school which is just as hard as BUDS but they include electronics and explosives training. So if you cant hack that...then guess what...you get the picture.

If you still decide to do it. I highly suggest that you learn what flutter kicks are and do 100-200 each day. Also, build up your back muscles by staying in the pushup position...all this in addition to your normal 1-2 hour a day workout.  Also, go swimming ALOT. To pass dive school, you have to swim across a bay with shitty flippers.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:35:12 PM EDT
[#44]
oh yea, the IRS takes 30% of your bonus too. So your 40,000 is now 28,000. Payable as 7,000 each october for 4 years. Horray! (put it in the bank)
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:41:58 PM EDT
[#45]

Originally Posted By Alien.... damn he was worthless. The recruiter I spoke to on the phone said about as much of the 1st guy too. ....

...First I only have a GED (yes I know it was a stupid decision) and I'm not able to meet the physical requirements yet, but I've been working on that (for several months?!?)

while I appreciate your desire to serve, just exactly WHY is your recruiter 'worthless'?

From what you said about yourself, you are what recruiters refer to as a "Time Waster".  

The recruiters of all branches have more important things to do than hold Mr. Fatty McUnqualified's hand and wet nurse him through PT and ASVAB.

For all the time spent on one TW, a recruiter can go out and find 5 qualified people....I speak with some authority on this subject because I was a recruiter.    
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Many MOS fields offer bonuses.  I got a $7000 bonus back in 1990 payable in 1 lump sum once I got to my permanent duty station at Pendleton and was there for a few months.    1341 Heavy Equipment Mechanic.  These days bonuses are commonly over $10,000.  Unless things are different now, there is NEVER a guarantee of a specific MOS in the Marine Corps.  NEVER...  When I was in, I was "guaranteed" one of 3 fields.  The grunts going in at the same time as me got the same kind of contract without the bonus.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#47]
height=8
Quoted:
the reason the army offers Spec. Forces Baby contracts is that they get some kid to sign up, and then 80% or more fail the course, they then become basic infantry and lose the sppecial bonus. thats probably what the navy is doing as well, beware too good a deal!.

21BOOM
you are exactly right,,i got out in 1984 but i seen to many people sign up for A schools and EOD and SEALS and then fail a test and get put to Deck Division and hang over the side of a ship painting it and painting decks for the next 4 years,,i made it myself but i found out the hard way when they told you that you have 2 chances to pass anything and if you failed the 2nd time you were bounced,,,i seen it happen to a few people,,,but the recruiters dont tell you that shit when you sign up,,,everybody thinks they can do anything they want in the military and it just isnt so,,,and to the people/kids talking to recruiters now you better be "UP" on ALL your math,and english shit because it is basically used in EVERYTHING except painting ships and its a swift kick in the balls when a young recruit finds out the hard way,,at least thats the way it was when i was in 80-84
Bob
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:03:44 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
the Navy guy wasnt fully honest with you. You cant join in the navy with a seals contract that says you are going to be a seal.  What they do is make you a EDT (I think thats what its called, cant remember the name) but it is essentially a non-rated person that gets sent to dive school(a hard school). If he passes, then he goes to BUDS.(a very hard school). After BUDS, you aint a SEAL yet. You get assigned to a unit and have to go though quals to get your warfare pin. Then, and only then will you get your bonus of 40,000(payable once a fiscal year over 4 years).  Also, since you are non-rated and the dive school and BUDS are long and far between you will not be able to advance in rank for a long time. You wont be an E4 for at least 2 or 3 years.

Basically, if you are not motivated or physically capable and you get dropped from dive school or BUDS then you still have a 4 year contract with the navy and they will try to send you to the fleet or whatever they need at the time.  If I remember correctly, 50% of the people that go to dive school get dropped and 80% of people that go to buds get dropped.  Usually because they blow out a knee or some shit.

Also, with EOD you have to go to dive school and another school which is just as hard as BUDS but they include electronics and explosives training. So if you cant hack that...then guess what...you get the picture.

If you still decide to do it. I highly suggest that you learn what flutter kicks are and do 100-200 each day. Also, build up your back muscles by staying in the pushup position...all this in addition to your normal 1-2 hour a day workout.  Also, go swimming ALOT. To pass dive school, you have to swim across a bay with shitty flippers.

Things have changed in recent history (not so recent, but . . .)

Right after BUD/S you go to SQT, Seal Qualification Training, which trains you up to speed to join a SEAL platoon to train for deployment.  You no longer go to a platoon to get your indoctrination training.

Read 'The Finishing School' by David Couch (?)

I am part-way through it now . . . I think I said everything right . . . got to get this down if you guys are ever going to believe I am a REAL SEAL
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Originally Posted By Alien.... damn he was worthless. The recruiter I spoke to on the phone said about as much of the 1st guy too. ....

...First I only have a GED (yes I know it was a stupid decision) and I'm not able to meet the physical requirements yet, but I've been working on that (for several months?!?)

while I appreciate your desire to serve, just exactly WHY is your recruiter 'worthless'?

From what you said about yourself, you are what recruiters refer to as a "Time Waster".  

The recruiters of all branches have more important things to do than hold Mr. Fatty McUnqualified's hand and wet nurse him through PT and ASVAB.

For all the time spent on one TW, a recruiter can go out and find 5 qualified people....I speak with some authority on this subject because I was a recruiter.    

Hey that's kind of a shitty attitude aint it?  Just because someone makes some bad choices doesnt mean they aren't worthy.

I am going thru the same shit, plus I have my age as a strike against me.  I tell you what, whoever gets me, we be getting the most motivated, dedicated person out there.  I will be doing twice as much to make up for my down falls.

Come April we will see which branch gets me.  Army is a sure thing, but I want Marines, if they wise up the will get an excellent Marine in me.

Here is what I am doing

Travis
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Get it in writing!!!!

Take the ASVAB, it's easy, just don't get nervous and choke. Decide what you want to do, and get it in writing.

Take a good look at the job fields and choose what is best for you.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top