Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2006 3:10:31 PM EDT
So I put a washer and dryer in the local rag for sale, with my phone number. The other night I get a phone call from some relay operator about it. At first I was confused as the relay operator did not ID herself in a manner that made it understandable what she was doing. I at first thought it was some kind of collect call.

After figuring that part out I learned there was a caller using the service and was insterested in a newspaper ad I put out. He gave me his email address so we could talk further. I send him this:

Hi James, this is the email you requested. The price for the set is $290,
both are Whirlpool brand.

Two days later I get this back:

Hi ,
Thanks very much for your email, you have to bear with me as I have hearing  problems. The reason I am sending you this email is to make final reconfirmation of  (Washer and Dryer) a client of mine is intrested in it and i will be comin for the pick up,the payment will be by certified Money Order.
So i hope that is okay with you,and also i will like you to know that my service charges for the pick up arrangement will be included in the payment of the Washer and Dryer,so pls kindly deduct your money and send down the rest of the money to me via western union money transfer,so that i can arrange to come for the pick up at once.

So in view of the above, here are some of the details I will need for final issuance of the Money Order to you.
(1) Full Name
(2) Mailing address, no p.o.box please
(3) your direct telephone number
(4) acceptance of my offer Once you get back to me with all the above, the Money Order will be issued out immediately and it will be sent to you .
Hope to hear from you immediately.
Regards,
Eng James Mills

WTF?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like Nigerians.

ITS A TRAP!
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow, These guys are everywhere now!
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:15:27 PM EDT
[#3]
F!ck'em.  You're the one with the large home appliances.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#4]
The good old Fake Check Scam. See: Linky

Mark
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:16:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Im gonna email him back and see how much it costs for "delivery services".
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:16:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Ask him if he wants to finance.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:17:47 PM EDT
[#8]
sounds like the call you got was from the ip relay system, which is a website that has an operator call you and say what the person typed on the internet, for deaf folk. Lots of ppl use it to scam tho.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Have they realized yet that they are trying to scam a cop?

I know it kinda goes against the don't shit where you sleep policy but it sounds like an excuse to have some fun and take a fraud off the streets. (Assuming you can do so without too much personal/family risk.)

Keep us updated if anything comes of this.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:19:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Standard scam. The money order will be fake and bounce long after your appliances and your check for the difference is gone.

They get at least the appliances, and if they are lucky, the money you sent them.

Tell them you want cash in the exact amount.

Or... arrest the guy that shows up with the money order....
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:19:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Tell that Nigerian scamming piece of shit to go f*ck himself. That's what I usually do
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:22:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Man, just the thought of that guy trying to fuck you pisses me off. I would respond as follows...

"Hi James Mills,

I got your email. So hard of hearing is it? In the event your disability somehow extends to the written word please carefully note the following.... GO FUCK YOURSELF! If you need help understanding my response ask one of the other villagers to translate for you.

BTW your email has been forwarded to the appropriate authorities"
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:22:43 PM EDT
[#13]
i would strip out the guts of the W&D and fill it with concrete, fuck them...i hate scammers...
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:25:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Same bullshit scam. Someone sent me one like that on fucking gunbroker
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:28:19 PM EDT
[#15]
their english is getting better too, especially for Croats..

Hello,
and thank you for your interest in my Supra. First of all please accept my apologies for my late reply but most of my time I am at the hospital with my daughter because she suffers from a heart disease and I have to be there for her. I hope you can understand me. The car looks and runs exactly as new. The titles is clean, and you will receive it along with the car , so you will have no problems whatsoever registering  it there. VIN Number:  JT2DD82A6V0038861 , Miles:  66670, Manual trans. The car is asctually a 1997 model but it was purchased in 1998. I have bought the car from the previous owner in 2004.  The car is accident free.
Options: turbonetics t72 turbo, turbonetics delgate wastegate, turbonetics exhaust manifold
custom 3.5in mid pipe downpipe, tanabe racing medalion, map ecu custom dyno tune, ARP head studs, HKS 2.0mm head gasket, hks camshafts 272, Delphi 84lb Injectors, Boost Logic Fuel Rail, Dual GSS341 Walbro Pumps w/ Install Kits Aeroquip AN fittings and Braided lines Aeromotive -10AN Fuel Filter Aeromotive -10AN Fuel Pressure Regulator 0-100PSI Fuel Pressure Gauge, 6 Injector Pig-tails, High Quality Relays and Power Lines, Fuel system routing instructions, greddy intake manifold

Q45 throttle body

blitz dual drive bov

custom 3in intercooler pipes

apexi front mount intercooler

HKS air filter

denso spark plugs

bomex body kit

bomex rear spoiler

custom yellow pearl complete car

18in enkey wheels V1

rear 18X11 275/40/18 3.5in lip

front 18x9 245/40/18 2in lip

eibach pro kit springs 1.2 in front 1.0 in back kony yellow adjustable front shocks custom system on the trunk 2 10in subs 2 amps memphis eclipse tv flip out dvd head unit
6 autometer custom install gauges
HKS evc IV boost controller
greddy turbo timer
We have a dyno chart from when the car had 660rwhp and 551lb ft torque before the cam work.  Now it certainly has over 700hp.
By the way, the stock twin turbos and hardware are included with the sale
Here are the pics of the car :
http://usera.imagecave.com/supra98/
I hope you are serious in your intention for buying, don`t take it personally, but I had many problems with fake buyers in the past. So if you decide on buying the car, I want the deal closed only through eBay`s Safe Purchase program. You will make the payment to eBay and they will hold the money until you receive the car. After you receive the car and you inspect it, the money will be released to me, in this way we are both protected. Anyway, the car is available and I guess you could be its new owner if everything turns out all right and, again, you are serious about buying. I am located in Zagreb, Croatia. I moved here a few months ago, brought the car with me, but  unfortunatelly I am not able to register it here, as it has US specs and emission stanards, non compliant with European regulations. My final price on it  is 9500$. If you will take this price, I am willing to pay for shipping and insurance to your location. Please get back to me A.S.A.P. if you decide to buy, and include in your e-mail your full name and address so I can start the deal with eBay. You will receive all the transaction details from them.
   Bryan Hutchins
   Viktora cara Emina 6
   Zagreb
   Croatia
   +385 62 925 913
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:30:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey, if the scammer prepays for shipping, you can ship him a couple of large cardboard boxes filled with trash...
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:33:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Hey, if the scammer prepays for shipping, you can ship him a couple of large cardboard boxes filled with trash...

Or some Anus Laptops.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:52:01 PM EDT
[#18]
What I don't understand is some of the shit they want to buy.  I got a call at work from one of the relay operators.  Part of the conversation went like this:

Op (reading typed message): Do you carry an NGK spark plug, part number XXXX?
Me: Yes, we have 27 in stock, they are $xxxx each.
Op: Can you give me a total shipped to Nigeria?
Me: Sorry, we don't ship internationally (we do, but very rarely)
Op: Great, I would like to purchase on my Visa one thousand pieces shipped OVERNIGHT TO NIGERIA.
Me: WE DO NOT SHIP INTERNATIONALLY.
Op: I would like to purchase...
Me: Hang on, Click wants to speak with you.
*CLICK*
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Can you set up a sting on this?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:00:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or some Anus Laptops.

I bout spit soda out my nose
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:42:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Gotta say "Cash Only" next time.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Man, just the thought of that guy trying to fuck you pisses me off. I would respond as follows...

"Hi James Mills,

I got your email. So hard of hearing is it? In the event your disability somehow extends to the written word please carefully note the following.... GO FUCK YOURSELF! If you need help understanding my response ask one of the other villagers to translate for you.

BTW your email has been forwarded to the appropriate authorities"

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#24]
The thing a few people here don't realize....no one is gonna "show up with the Money Order"... it'll all be mail transactions.  They mail you the check for over the amount of sale plus some "fees"....tell you to deduct your part from the cashed M.O. and forward the rest (the fees) to the handler.... your western union goes through, their money order fails. You are out the product, the shipping, and the "fees" amount you forwarded.  The thing is why don't they pay the "fees" to the intermediary via a second M.O.?  gullable people don't think about that...and they get ripped off. Send it Western Union and you'll never get the money back.

the spark plug gimmmick with the CC charge is a new one....

Only thing you can do with these guys is sucker them by saying that you need extra money over whatever the amount + fees is...but you'll send the stuff and fees out as soon as you receive the M.O but you'll send a certified check and don't use Western Union...... and then don't do a thing.  Deposit the M.O. if you want, maybe you'll get lucky. In the meantime, tell them you sent it...give them a fake tracking number. When they ask about it (and by now the M.O. has bounced) tell them to take it up with the carrier as a lost package...better yet tell them your bank said the cashiers check has been cashed...so someone there must have intercepted the package.  have fun with it... be indigent...tell them since the cashier check was cashed, that they must be trying to scam you!  Which they are, but in a different way.

No Expert
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Sounds like a scam.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:06:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Thanks very much for your email, you have to bear with me as I have hearing  problems. The reason I am sending you this email is to make final reconfirmation of  (Washer and Dryer) a client of mine is intrested in it and i will be comin for the pick up,the payment will be by certified Money Order.
So i hope that is okay with you,and also i will like you to know that my service charges for the pick up arrangement will be included in the payment of the Washer and Dryer,so pls kindly deduct your money and send down the rest of the money to me via western union money transfer,so that i can arrange to come for the pick up at once.

So he has access to Westrn Union Money Transfer, yet wants to send you a money order?

I SAY GO FOR IT!
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Sounds like a scam.

and are you qualified to make such a claim?  

The interesting part here isnt that its a scam, its the fact he put this ad in the local paper.
Not on ebay or craigslist (which would net a higher chance for scammers)

local paper aint gonna be nigerians.  (cant be nigerians- only 2 misspellings.  this guys problem is punctuation..)

is there a messican version of the clique mob?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top