Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2006 11:50:23 AM EDT
Im going to be on the local news here in Orlando. Possibly on their website too. www.local6.com

Unfortunately, my college apartment complex caught fire at around noon. I was outside messing around with my motorcycle because someone kicked it over this morning, and I wanted to make sure it was OK to ride to work at 2.

When all of the sudden, a guy and a girl about 2 doors down from me(in the same building) come running out screaming the building is on fire. I look up and see smoke rising from the top, through the roof vents.

Thinking back on it now I have a different mindset than I did then. I immediately went into alert mode. Pounded on my neighbors door to wake them up and get them out (all girls). The other people are going the other way to clear out the building.

I was the only one home at my apartment (The apartment is a townhouse style; 3 bedrooms upstairs and one down) and immediately run through my head what is most valuable to me to get out of my upstairs room. I throw my laptop and some books/papers in my backpack and run outside and drop it on the lawn. Run back upstairs into my roommates room to get his motorcycle key and move it out of the living room as that in my mind was the biggest fire hazard.

Because of the way the apartment is setup it is difficult to quickly move it out the front door, so I drove it through the kitchen and out the back, onto our patio. When I get to the patio I see the 2 maitnence guys kicking in the door to the apartment where most of the fire is, one with a fire extinguisher. I run back inside and grab my fire extinguisher and run out the back door and down to where they are entering, activating the extinguisher as im running.

By the time im there they kicked the door in and all 3 of us run upstairs to do what we can. We realize the fire is in the rafters, just and the roof starts to cave in. We open the laundry room, and push up the kick panel to see if we can do anything. NO GO, smoke from burning insulation came pouring into where we were and it got nearly impossible to breathe; we all then ran out the front door. Fire trucks rolled in moments later, and I went back to get my roommate motorcycle off the back patio and into the parking lot. (which is a good 30-40 feet from where the main fire is) Once im back there again(I dictched my extinguisher out front) I saw how massive the fire had grown to. Burning now down the wall and major sections of the roof collapsed it started to hit me how intense this was. I got the bike around front of the building and a moment or two later the firetruck were there hooking up to the hydrants.

The scene was taped off, and the fire department moved in dumping alot of water into the apartment. Everyone got out fine(which was my first concern) and the fire got put out. Luckily I did not receive any damage other than light foggy smoke in my room, which left when I opened the window after it was safe to go in.

Called my roommate to let him know I moved his bike, and called my boss telling him I wont make it to work today(Im a mall ninja ) Then I hung around and did an interview with some reporters, which was kinda cool ive never been on TV. Plus, the reporter focused on me going into the burning apartment and what I was thinking which made me feel kinda badass. Heh.

Power is still off in our apartment, im in the school library typing this. Dont know when power will be back on which sucks. But right now im glad everyone is fine, none of my stuff burned to the ground, and I did what I could. I didnt notice anything while I was rushing around before the fire department got there, but afterwards I had so much adrenaline going through me it was insane.

ETA: The fire was started in the rafters by a faulty a/c. Nobody started it, so I cant be upset at any other people in the building.
What say ye arfcom?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:56:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump....anyone?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, exciting post! Hope everything turns out OK, including your own motorcycle.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like to did okay to me. You didn't stick in around in the burning apartment once you saw where the fire was.

You pounded on doors to confirm everyone else was out. Good job.

I'd suggest not storing gas filled motorbikes in your apartment....
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, my uncle is a fire chief and tours the country giving lectures on fire safety.  I've heard a lot of stories.  So, with that background, I'll say this:  NEVER go back into a burning building once all the people are out.  If it's a serious fire, you could have as little as 30 seconds before the air is unbreathable.  You walk in, take one breath, and BAM! you're gone.  95% of fire-related fatalities are received by people who go BACK into the house to retrieve "valuables" after they've already escaped with their lives.  If a house is on fire, you've probably got a minute and a half, MAX, to get out if the fire is serious.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#5]
You didn't save your guns?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 2:21:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You didn't save your guns?

LOL Yes.

Man what a screwed up day. My motorcycle gets messed up. My apartment catches fire, causing me to miss work. I get a call from my manager telling me on how much I missed out on at work. An employee and her lesbian lover stole about a grand worth of stuff and I missed getting to take them down.

Geez, what a freakin day
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top