Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2006 3:08:08 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:11:21 AM EDT
[#1]
12 pages, 2 bannings and a lock.

If Miami cops are driving Lexuses (Lexi?) and Mercedes, I need to look into lateraling.

Sheep
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:14:10 AM EDT
[#2]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=511303

Proof that they do.  

ETA: Sad story. I hope I never outlive my children.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:15:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Son drives a Lexus
Dad drives a Mercedes Benz

and they're both cops??

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:15:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Proof that LEO's don't get "special" treatment.

Burgos will likely void the ticket, Picanol said. ``He's going to take care of the citation to make sure Lt. Bello won't have to go to court.''

oh?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:19:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:19:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:23:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Judgement calls like this are one reason I don't envy LEO's and their job.

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:26:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Prayers sent for Lt Bello's family.

That said,

What Bello didn't know was that doctors at JMH's Ryder Trauma Center had just pronounced his son dead at 7:08 a.m. Officer Armando Bello Jr. was on his way home from a party for a fellow police officer when his silver Lexus hit a tree at Northwest 27th Avenue and 110th Street.

I have to wonder if alcohol was involved.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:28:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Burgos will likely void the ticket, Picanol said. ``He's going to take care of the citation to make sure Lt. Bello won't have to go to court.''

oh?

It's not about the summons, the fact is that while he was getting delayed by a summons whore he could have made it to his dying sons bedside.

It could also be that the cop saved his life by pulling him over.  Since other motorists complained about his driving it is entirely possible that he could have taken out another car in the effort to join his dying son.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:30:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Based on the number of sober drivers that I have seen hit trees [0], I'm going to have to say very likely.

Sheep
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:04:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Why would the arfcom membership smile?  The guy's son died and he got a speeding ticket.    
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:18:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Prayers for him and his family, to lose a child is a tragedy.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:24:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Wow what a screwed up situation. I have to take my hat off to Cops, they have to make a lot of critical decisions and some of them are bound to turn out bad just by the law of averages.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:26:48 AM EDT
[#14]
There is an unspoken line separating municipal and countly LEO's and the State Highway Patrol.  The FHP is known for writing their own tickets and they won't give other LEO's professional courtesy.   This lack of courtesy is returned when an offduty FHP officer is pulled over.  They all work together when they have to, but the FHP by and large feels they are better than everyone.  

This story while extremely sad, doesn't suprise me in the least.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:28:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

oh?

It's not about the summons, the fact is that while he was getting delayed by a summons whore he could have made it to his dying sons bedside.

Lt. Beelo got pulled over at mile marker 118 in the north Keys.  Looking at the TOD, there is no way in hell he would have made it to Jackson Hospital in time.  Not even with a helicopter.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:32:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Sad.

I hating speeding laws.

For everyone, especailly someone who just had a loved one hurt.

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:37:18 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Prayers sent for Lt Bello's family.

That said,

What Bello didn't know was that doctors at JMH's Ryder Trauma Center had just pronounced his son dead at 7:08 a.m. Officer Armando Bello Jr. was on his way home from a party for a fellow police officer when his silver Lexus hit a tree at Northwest 27th Avenue and 110th Street.

The public will never know for sure.

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:37:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:43:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:51:12 AM EDT
[#20]
That really sucks for the cops.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:52:39 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Sad.

I hating speeding laws.

For everyone, especailly someone who just had a loved one hurt.

Even if you hate them, they are there for the safety of everybody. If you are driving to a sick/injured relative, driving like an idiot is not going to help anybody. If you are driving a sick/injured relative to the hospital, you still must be reasonable in your actions and not endanger anyone else.

This is a truly sad situation. Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:57:27 AM EDT
[#22]
We have a''high activity'' trooper like that around here... he had the balls to write his mother in law a ticket, and also jailed his 17 y/o son for public intox for having a party while him and his wife were out.

But yeah, im curious about the lexus and mercedes mentions, could someone be on the Take?  Seems like it must pay way better down there.

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:30:30 AM EDT
[#23]

First off  my condolences to the family of the dead officer.
But it is only fair to ask, would the same consideration be given to a non-LEO???

After all he didn't believe the story when first told, a fact he could have easily confirmed, which leads me to believe he would have wrote up a non-LEO just as quickly, why now all the consideration after the fact???
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:38:05 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
We have a ''high activity'' good trooper like that around here... he had the balls objectivity to write his mother in law a ticket, and also jailed his 17 y/o son for public intox for having a party while him and his wife were out.

Both of whom were breaking the law.

The judges is the one who is supposed to  use discretion. Officers are supposed to cite for infractions.

The ill thought of "high activity" troopers are the good guys to me. Not hin blue line, just the truth.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:41:51 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't know about "smile". It sucks that the guy got written up, cop or not, given the circumstances. I can understand how the officer wouldn't believe the story - I'm sure he's heard them all. When he found out the truth, he felt awful and is going to do his best to get rid of the ticket. Heck, he could just not show up for court.

It's a terrible situation all the way around. It doesn't make me smile at all.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:43:13 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
But yeah, im curious about the lexus and mercedes mentions, could someone be on the Take?  Seems like it must pay way better down there.

Just about anyone with a decent paying job can buy or even lease a used Lexus or Mercedes. Also, I work with a few guys that are married to attorney's, CPA's, doctors and other types who's annual incomes break 6 figures. You can't determine a family's combined household income because dad is a Cop or a butcher, baker or candlestick maker.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:47:23 AM EDT
[#27]
About the Lexus and the Mercedes:

None of us know the exact financial situation of father or son, but it isn't exacly difficult to own either on a policeman's salary. It's STUPID, but not impossible. A guy making $40,000 a year could very well lease one for $400 a month, or so. Stupid? Yup. Possible? Yup.

Again, none of us knows their financial situation. I do think it's unfair to automatically assume that they're "on the take", or what have you. Many Americans have a SERIOUS problem with buying things they can't afford, and I don't see how police officers would be any different.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:51:27 AM EDT
[#28]
That is terrible losing your son. I have two.

As stated above. I know people making $70-90K a year driving a Mercedez. Combine that with another income.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:56:01 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

oh?

It could also be that the cop saved his life by pulling him over.  Since other motorists complained about his driving it is entirely possible that he could have taken out another car in the effort to join his dying son.  

Cop basher.

ETA, people are  bitching about what kind of cars they own?

Sucks the guys kid died. Totally. I would probbaly have driven like a bat out of hell even if in vain. I highly doubt I would get light treatment from LE if I gave them the same excuse the Cop gave. I doubt I would have been given a waive like he will in court, if he ever sees it.

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:00:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:09:40 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
We have a ''high activity'' good trooper like that around here... he had the balls objectivity to write his mother in law a ticket, and also jailed his 17 y/o son for public intox for having a party while him and his wife were out.

Both of whom were breaking the law.

The judges is the one who is supposed to  use discretion. Officers are supposed to cite for infractions.

The ill thought of "high activity" troopers are the good guys to me. Not hin blue line, just the truth.

Judges are not the only ones that use discretion.  There's "Letter of the Law" and "Spirit of the Law"

I understand Wave's sarcasm at the "smile" comment.  And he proved it well with this thread.  He posts about a father who loses his son to a vehicle collision and during that time he receives a ticket for speeding.  Talk about a kick in the balls...

But all some people can talk about are the type of cars being driven?  Some of you guys are real class acts
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:09:59 AM EDT
[#32]
That sure isn’t going to make me smile.

A man died in a car crash, that’s a tragedy.

His father rushes to the hospital. It’s understandable why he would be going that fast.

He gets pulled over by a State Trooper doing 91 in a 55 zone. Everyone knows the real speed limit is 20mph higher than the posted Alzheimer limit (except for residential zones.) So, 91mph is clearly way too fast without a damned good reason. 91 in a 55 zone is a traffic safety stop, not a revenue enhancement stop. The State Trooper doesn’t believe the excuse, which is understandable. The Father doesn’t get violent or run from the trooper either.

Then the father’s excuse turns out to be real, and the son died. Now, here’s the thing. In our society almost any crime is forgivable assuming there’s a good enough reason for it. The police, prosecutors, judges, and juries all have the authority (within limits of course) to make that decision.

So, when he finds out that the excuse was real the state trooper decides that his original judgment was faulty and the “crime” should be excused. Fair enough, he’s the one who saw how the father was really driving. And from what I’ve heard I wouldn’t vote to convict if I were on a jury. (not that there would be a jury trial for speeding.) In fact, I would question the moral judgment of the state trooper and judge were a case like this presented to me.

(Considering the outcome, I doubt the father really gives a rat’s ass one way or another.)

A dead son, who happens to be a cop. A grieving father who is driving too fast. And a State Trooper who isn’t gullible enough to believe every story he hears but has the decency not to press a speeding ticket considering the circumstances.

There’s nothing to smile about and nothing to get angry about either. It’s just a sad story.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:14:15 AM EDT
[#33]
That could go both ways though I can almost gaurantee if it were me or any other 'PEon" we'd still have to go to court and their would be no voiding of any tickets.

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:49:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Wave
You know better than most people this only proves the Local LEO and the State LEO's dont play tit for tat. Its nothing that doesnt happen in 15 other states where the state and local boys have muti year pissing matches going on.

Its a sad story about the sons death.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:06:57 AM EDT
[#35]
So what is this story supposed to prove?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:07:35 AM EDT
[#36]
No smile from me - that's a sad story.

I hope Bello's ticket is removed, deleted, etc - or WTF you call it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top