Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2006 11:37:13 PM EDT
It's new scope time, quite soon here, and several higher magnification models I've been looking at are only offered in Mil-Dot.  While the ranging/bullet drop compensating attributes are clearly beneficial, especially since I'll be using this for up to 500 yard target shooting, how do these big dots compare to a fine duplex for precise targeting/grouping?  In the same vein, how is a target dot practical?  Don't these reticles obscure a multiple MOA part of the target at longer range?
Any opinions?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 12:08:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Mil Dot scopes are great if you need to calculate distance and speed, the trick is in learning how to use them properly for full potential.
Google around and you'll find lots of info on how to use them.
There also used to be a computer program/game that was designed specificaly as a teaching simulator.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:30:07 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
how do these big dots compare to a fine duplex for precise targeting/grouping?  In the same vein, how is a target dot practical?  Don't these reticles obscure a multiple MOA part of the target at longer range?
Any opinions?

With the Mil dot you can calculate the range and throw in the propper come-ups.
Or you can range it out on a known course and make one of the upper dots your 100 (depending on how far out your going to do this) and work out the rest of them where your rounds hit so you have an instant spot to range in on your mil-dot scale, no need to move the turrets if your doing minute of head. You cant really do that with a duplex recticle. You will still have the fine crosshairs so you dont cover anything important like the bullseye if you work the come-ups
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:03:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:15:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's new scope time, quite soon here, and several higher magnification models I've been looking at are only offered in Mil-Dot.  While the ranging/bullet drop compensating attributes are clearly beneficial, especially since I'll be using this for up to 500 yard target shooting, how do these big dots compare to a fine duplex for precise targeting/grouping?  In the same vein, how is a target dot practical?  Don't these reticles obscure a multiple MOA part of the target at longer range?
Any opinions?

i use mildot, tmr, and similar reticles exclusively, and i can tell you that i have seen no loss of accuracy at ranges due to them, they are just a little more versatile that a standard reticle, I have shot VERY tight groups from 600-1000 yards with mildots

The problem with Mil-dots is you have to know what you are doing. yahoos buy them and do a quick read up..then think they know how to use it...wrong.  It takes alot of practice.

There is an accual simulator on the web somewhere.  Its fun as hell, because all factors have to be accounted for.  I forgot to save it when I reformatted my comp.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:26:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks all for the great information.  I'm off to study, and appreciate the feedback!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top