Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2006 7:53:49 PM EDT
I have been driving my dads truck for the last 4 months and monday the engine was knocking badly. Took apart and saw piston skirt on #1 piston was gone up to oil ring. My dad decides that he wants to take piston out and run it on seven. I try to explain that it will be out of balance so he takes out the #5 piston also straight across from it. i had to work all this weekend so i foretook very little part in this adventure just pretty much my dad and FOX-. I tried to tell him about the counterweights. He said he was going to drill holes out of counterweights but he didnt. It runs suprisingly but i feel like im driving a proplane, craziest shit ive seen in a while.

SS
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:59:04 PM EDT
[#1]

Whatever works...
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Remember to take the lifters and pushrods out of those cylinders as well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:05:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:10:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Then be sure to insert punctuation.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I'll see your and raise you a
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

He left pushrods out, but i think he kept lifters.

SS
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 12:53:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Wouldn't it be easier and more reliable to replace the Piston?  Does he think he is saving 1/4th on his gas consumption now?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 12:55:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Now this is some funny shit.

I think you'll be using up oil faster though.

Old-timers rule! and I mean it.

By the way, I use a place called LKQ (Like Kind Quality) thier on the net as lkqcorp.com - thier auto recyclers with an online parts lookup.  If I blew my motor today, a replacement would cost less than $600.  I just bought a tailgate for my son's truck and knew the paint was an exact match since they track VIN numbers - we checked the VINS and the "red" tailgate was GM's cherry red - exactly what we wanted.  For $285 (including tax) we bought a perfect no paint needed tailgate.  The body shop wanted over $900 for the same thing.

It's also a cool place to add options that didn't come with your vehicle, like upgrading to an OEM radio with 6 CD changer, or sunroof, or console.  You get the idea.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:06:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Tag for the upcoming update about a ruined engine.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:07:38 PM EDT
[#10]
He at least should have tried JBWeld or Duct Tape first.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#11]
He's just updating the engine with the latest design trends.

Now, it's 'variable-displacement': You vary the displacement by adding or removing pistons!
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Old-timers rule! and I mean it.

Ain't that the truth.!! My Old-Timer neighbor went out and bought a brand new 2006 loaded Dodge Dually. Next day he comes over with a box of parts and wants me to cut out parts of the rear suspension and weld in the air ride suspension he thought up the night before. Most of the parts were pieces of things he had laying around his garage. Out came the plasma cutter, and a few hours later the man had cab contolled air ride. Actually turned out rather nice.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#13]
What about the firing order. That thing is always going to lope like hell. Power curve is completly shot. Sounds like it would be dangerously slow.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:17:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Is it blown yet?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#15]
don't forget about the fact he is now injecting fuel directly into his oil pan. I predict a ruined engine very shortly.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:36:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Hell, don't forget his oil pressure is shit.  The rod actually keeps oil IN the crank, now oil will just pour out the open journal.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:03:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Hell, don't forget his oil pressure is shit.  The rod actually keeps oil IN the crank, now oil will just pour out the open journal.

took 2 rod caps and put together on each journal to keep pressue its holding at 42lbs not bad for 350,000
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Wouldn't it be easier and more reliable to replace the Piston?  Does he think he is saving 1/4th on his gas consumption now?

Cylinder wall is gone, would just cause massive blowby
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:05:30 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
don't forget about the fact he is now injecting fuel directly into his oil pan. I predict a ruined engine very shortly.

The pushrods are out,

Cam pushes lifters which push the pushrods which push rocker arms which then push on valve and open them, without pushrods the valve does not open.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:07:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Are you going to be able to maintain minimum speed?  Cuz otherwise, you'll get black flagged.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:11:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I was cruising comfortably at 55 today,
Just dont push it too fast to accelerate.

SS
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Ahhhhh, sounds like what my ol' Granddad would do

I don't see anythig wrong with it (don't mean I woudl do it, just  don't see anything wrong with it)
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:16:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Use rod caps or drive a wood peg into oil hole on crank shaft and put a hose clamp on it.

My buddy had a 6 cylinder car and #2 let go just like your dads. He was flat busted and had to have a car. He tore out the piston, rod, and the pushrods for that cylinder. Plugged the hole in the crank with an oak plug put a hose clamp on the plug to secure it and put her back together.

At idle you could tell it a bit, but running it seemed to be the same. I wonder how long the cylinder was bad? He drove it for 2 years and parked it running when he got a newer car.

A guy would stop and offer to buy the car. Buddy always said no as the motor was bad. Guy insisted he wanted the car. Buddy called the scrapyard and found out what it was worth as scrap. Guy stopped to beg buddy for the car. Buddy quoted what it was worth at the scales. Guy bought it knowing about the motor and drove it for another year.

I drove a 7 cyl dodge just like that from SC to Ohio. We were headed back from Florida and it let go. Some old farmer helped us get it running on 7. I was amazed but it worked. Bragged to my buddy and he told me about his long term 5 cyl. It was his daily driver then.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Nope. Thats why ya pull the pushrods. Leave the lifters or you loose what little oil pressure you had.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:23:28 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Is it blown yet?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:30:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:36:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Did you use the magic "it will be allright" line?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:09:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Did you use the magic "it will be allright" line?

Yeah

Then used the im not too sure what it is going to run like but i will laugh.

SS
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:11:26 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is it blown yet?
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:24:27 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I have been driving my dads truck for the last 4 months and monday the engine was knocking badly. Took apart and saw piston skirt on #1 piston was gone up to oil ring. My dad decides that he wants to take piston out and run it on seven. I try to explain that it will be out of balance so he takes out the #5 piston also straight across from it. i had to work all this weekend so i foretook very little part in this adventure just pretty much my dad and FOX-. I tried to tell him about the counterweights. He said he was going to drill holes out of counterweights but he didnt. It runs suprisingly but i feel like im driving a proplane, craziest shit ive seen in a while.

SS

Since you had to do all that work anyway wouldn't it have been easier to rebuild the engine with some cylinder sleeves?
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 3:15:05 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SS

Since you had to do all that work anyway wouldn't it have been easier to rebuild the engine with some cylinder sleeves?

I think my dad has wanted to see if it would work for a long while now and this seemed like the perfect time to do it.

He said he would go get an engine from the junkyard around where for 129 but he was on call.

SS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top