Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/29/2006 2:07:46 PM EDT
1. You have ever asked..."what do you need that thing 'fer? You cain't hunt with it..."

carry on, gentlemen.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:08:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for the trainwreck.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#2]
If you've ever asked, ain't them illegal?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:12:18 PM EDT
[#3]
If you go to the range once a year to sight in your deer rifle on a paper plate from 25 yards away.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:13:59 PM EDT
[#4]
If you take a shot at the range, tell WWII stories for 20 minutes before taking another shot...
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If you go to the range once a year to sight in your deer rifle on a paper plate from 25 yards away.

Thats one thing I've never figured out. I don't need to rezero anything (unless I make a drastic change). Something about my AR's and AK's ....you zero them, and they stay that way. Odd that these "precision" hunting rifles can't even hold a zero.

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you take a shot at the range, tell WWII stories for 20 minutes before taking another shot...

Thats the kind of people I love to be next to at the range......... soak it up while you can, they wont be around much longer
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:18:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats the kind of people I love to be next to at the range......... soak it up while you can, they wont be around much longer

My Father served in Europe in WWII, he rarely talks about it, saw some horrific things...
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:21:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You were at the range today to hey

I got to see plenty of these guys today, funny as hell.....shotgun...maybe....rifle....why bother!
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:22:30 PM EDT
[#9]
If youve fucked up a historical military rifle
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
...and if you try to sight in said rifle without removing the scope cover.

yes, i've seen this happen.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:24:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You were at the range today to hey

I got to see plenty of these guys today, funny as hell.....shotgun...maybe....rifle....why bother!

The sad part is that they can barely hold the plate, and that's as they're shooting off a rest!
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:25:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If you've fucked up sporterized a historical military rifle

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If youve fucked up a hisotrical military rifle

I'm pretty sure that falls under something a "Bubba" would do.  Although I'm sure many Fudds are Bubbas as well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:27:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats one thing I've never figured out. I don't need to rezero anything (unless I make a drastic change). Something about my AR's and AK's ....you zero them, and they stay that way. Odd that these "precision" hunting rifles can't even hold a zero.

They can, but it is responsible to make sure that they have remained zeroed, because you usually can't check the zero in the field.  It is also responsible to make sure you can actually shoot accurately, not minute of 6' square paper target from the bench...which some fudds seem to find acceptable.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:27:52 PM EDT
[#15]
You call the range Nazi because one of those black rifle owners are shooting faster than one round a minute.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:27:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

You are overlooking the fact that that rifle you now consider so valuable was once considered next to worthless because there were so many of them flooding the market. It was no big deal at the time because they were a dime adozen.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Those kinda guns are only made for killing people.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:33:16 PM EDT
[#18]
You might be a Fudd if you think the rust on your rifle barrel is a symbol of your hardy mountain-man lifestyle.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I was having an argument with a guy a while back, and he figured he would intimidate me by saying "Uncle Sam" paid him to kill "foreigners" (he didn't like my last name), and he was trained to shoot paper plates from 1,000 yards. I asked why the military had to use paper plates for targets. He shut his mouth after that.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:36:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

No no no, Fudds not TAPCO addicts.

Sheesh!
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:38:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whoops.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:43:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whoops.  

+1.  I had Arizona Respnse Systems refinish my K-31 with their Metacol III finish.  The import marks are no longer present either.  I love my sporterized K-31-can't wait to add some Mojo sights.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:48:25 PM EDT
[#23]
You pick the lane immediately to the right of an EBR shooter, even though there are tons of other open lanes.

Then complain that his brass is hitting you.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:50:14 PM EDT
[#24]
.....if you have a Fudd as your avatar
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#25]
It's people like you that made that "dime a dozen" rifle years ago so rare today you destroy them, it is clear that you have zero respect for history, if you just wanted a rifle to fuck with or a deer rifle you could have bought a Remchester from your local Wal-Mart, but no instead you deside to destroy a piece of history in an attempt to turn it into another Remchester, or better yet if you wanted a Bubba rifle you could have gone to gunbroker or any number of other places and bought one that was already bubbaed, and the last owner found out that infact it didn't "make it better" and is now trying to sell it off, no instead you desided to Bubba another one.  Every rifle that gets Bubbaed is one less origional in the world, what you did is unexceptable, unexcusable, and unforgiveable.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:53:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Who are you mad at Small Arms Collector?

If you're upset with what I did to my K-31 I might as well give you all the sordid details.  It's a 1954 Beech stocked beauty that came in before CAI was engraving their import marks into recievers-mine had the marks on the barrel just behind the muzzle.  Most of the finish was worn off the reciever, and there was some light rust on the barrel and the areas of the receiver that contacted the stock.  ARS did a great job refinishing my HK91 clone so I sent them the K-31 and they gave it a very good looking, weather resistant black finish (as a bonus the import marks disappeared).  It's not as shiny as the original bluing but oh well.  I stripped the kitchen cabinet finish off the stock, LIGHTLY sanded it, and gave it 3 coats of Tung oil.  I think I improved the rifle, I was really only half joking when I said I Bubba-ed it...Anyway I bought it to shoot, and I'm not ever selling it, so I guess I'll do what I want to with it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:56:38 PM EDT
[#27]
".223..boy dont ya know a .223 is only a high powered .22...what you gonna hunt with a .22...mice?"

Ya ok pops...
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:04:18 PM EDT
[#28]
I usually stay out of these threads.

But.

Why does anyone give a fuck if another SHOOTER doesn't like your gun?

Worry about the people who don't own guns and don't like guns......those are the people you should bitch about. Not some old timer that has probably shot more shit and probably owns more guns than you.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
You call the range Nazi because one of those black rifle owners are shooting faster than one round a minute.

Yeh, got those looks today because I was doing a lot of mag dumps with a 10/22 and then a few out of my P89. Guess they think the only real way to shoot is one a minute!

On a funny note: The guys next to me (Fudds) thought they were doing such a great job with their 10/22 (grouping was 6 inches at best, at 25 yards). They actually showed this to me when they brought it back and said "not bad hey". I just smiled and said, nope, not to bad. Look at my sons (he's 5). His 25 round group was under 4 inches and this was doing three round bursts You should have seen their faces
It was worth the trip to the range today.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
It's people like you that made that "dime a dozen" rifle years ago so rare today you destroy them, it is clear that you have zero respect for history, if you just wanted a rifle to fuck with or a deer rifle you could have bought a Remchester from your local Wal-Mart, but no instead you deside to destroy a piece of history in an attempt to turn it into another Remchester, or better yet if you wanted a Bubba rifle you could have gone to gunbroker or any number of other places and bought one that was already bubbaed, and the last owner found out that infact it didn't "make it better" and is now trying to sell it off, no instead you desided to Bubba another one.  Every rifle that gets Bubbaed is one less origional in the world, what you did is unexceptable, unexcusable, and unforgiveable.

You say that now because those rifles and 1911s are rarer now. It was a different mindset 50 years ago. Do you get mad when guys modify an SKS  or an Enfield now? Same idea.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Who are you mad at Small Arms Collector?

If you're upset with what I did to my K-31 I might as well give you all the sordid details.  It's a 1954 Beech stocked beauty that came in before CAI was engraving their import marks into recievers-mine had the marks on the barrel just behind the muzzle.  Most of the finish was worn off the reciever, and there was some light rust on the barrel and the areas of the receiver that contacted the stock.  ARS did a great job refinishing my HK91 clone so I sent them the K-31 and they gave it a very good looking, weather resistant black finish (as a bonus the import marks disappeared).  It's not as shiny as the original bluing but oh well.  I stripped the kitchen cabinet finish off the stock, LIGHTLY sanded it, and gave it 3 coats of Tung oil.  I think I improved the rifle, I was really only half joking when I said I Bubba-ed it...Anyway I bought it to shoot, and I'm not ever selling it, so I guess I'll do what I want to with it.

Sounds like you restored a rifle, there is a difference.

Now if you chopped the barrel down, solder on a scope mount, removed the bayonet lug and added a mante carlo stock with some type of camo, thne id be mad.

I also dislike the people that sportarize mosin nagants for the same reason. Sure they are cheap now but they will be rare one day. And if you want to change the stock or whatever or add a scope fine, but do your best to make sure that you can change it back to orginial.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:47:40 PM EDT
[#32]
My contribution to the Fudd-isms:

Was at the Collin county gun range a few months back before it closed, with a 7mm mag I cut down to 16 1/2 inches. It is a savage 110. And in walked a "target shooter" building a "Bench gun load" for a verry heavy barreled 308. He proceded to tell me all about how I had ruined my rifle. So just for kicks I kept an eye on his groups Vs mine. I kept all my shots on 2 of the 3 inch "shoot and see" targets. 20 rounds total at 100yds. Now he had a hard time keeping his bench gun on sight in a target the range gave him, and had to leave because his scope had wobbled loose. Ill take a chance and say he was getting into the early part of it, and had some lessons to learn.

Ps Im not just hacking these off witha rusty saw blade. I recrown all the barrels with a ball mill, and polish the flats.

Quoted:

You are a Psycho.... I do like the older firearms too, but your tone is over the top.

Oho yes, please check out my thread on what I am doing to a rusty 93 turk mauser. Cuttin the barrel down to 16 3/4 inches, Leaving a full barrel length stock, relocating the front barrel stay bayonet mount to just 1/8th inch behind the muzzle, and remounting a front site ramp. When it is done it will have the profile of a small enfield no2.
And then I am guncoating or epoxy refinishing the entire thing.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:54:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#34]
SAC,

Are you going to tell us who your little temper tantrum was aimed at, or did my K-31 refinishing story send you to your med cabinet?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:09:31 PM EDT
[#35]
...you wear your plain tree camo and orange safety vest to the range....and you're wearing a John Deere hat!

......You might be a FUDD!

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#36]
On at least one occasion, before I bought mine, I asked an AR owner what he needed that gun for, since it's not legal to hunt with semi-autos here.

After shooting an AR, I had to have one. Funny. I'd already shot an HK91, an UZI, an SKS and an AK-47 (or WASR pr whatever the legal semi-auto versions are called). I still feel no need to own any of those.

I shoot pretty nice groups with my deer rifles. I shoot all year round. I've never sporterized a rifle, but if I felt like it, I sure would.

I need to practice before deer season. I badly broke my left arm last week, so I'll be shooting one-handed with my .44 this year, and I'm a bit rusty with that gun. I shot some today and i'm OK to 40 yards, but I want to be good to 75.

I'm a Fudd. I even own a beagle, just to hunt rabbits. ( Which I also won't be doing this year.)
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:14:58 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Every rifle that gets Bubbaed is one less origional in the world, what you did is unexceptable, unexcusable, and unforgiveable.

You say that now because those rifles and 1911s are rarer now. It was a different mindset 50 years ago. Do you get mad when guys modify an SKS  or an Enfield now? Same idea.

Yes, I even cringe when I hear about Mosin 91/30s getting bubba'd.

In my opinion, at least 90% of all bubba'd rifles are hideous.  When the owners finally realize how bad they suck, they try to sell them.  Oddly, there are few buyers.  It's like the fucked-up mods people do to cars.  No one wants your shit.  It was a stupid idea.   Please stop fucking up cars and guns.

However, it's not my rifle so I am not in a position to tell you what to do with it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:15:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Oh this is gonna be good.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:18:17 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
You pick the lane immediately to the right of an EBR shooter, even though there are tons of other open lanes.

Then complain that his brass is hitting you.

I had that happen once - I was kind of surprised when he started whining about it. I'd never heard such whining at a GUN range!
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are overlooking the fact that that rifle you now consider so valuable was once considered next to worthless because there were so many of them flooding the market. It was no big deal at the time because they were a dime adozen.
I wish they were still a dime a dozen.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Every deer you have shot has been 300 yards+ off hand with a "thudy-thudy"
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#42]
You might be a Fudd if.....
 You wear a blaze orange hat................
  Year-round!

Everywhere you go!
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:30:18 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I guess you head will explode if I explain what I did.

I bought an original German Mauser 98k from 1941, which had subsequently been given to Israel, and was rebarrelled in 7.62x51 for the Israeli army.  Then I stripped it, and shoved it into a cheap Hogue stock, and clamped a scope mount and a cheapo scope on it.  I also painted it because I was too cheap to have it properly refinished.    Voila, a cheap and functional .308 rifle that holds decent groups and can be used for hunting.

Now YOU might think that was a cool piece of history, but to me it was already messed with as soon as the Israeli arsenal re-barrelled it, and re-stamped it.  The israelis took an old german rifle and turned it into something functional for them.  I did the same - took an old rifle that wouldn't be useful to me, and turned it into something that is. To me, a rifle is a functional tool - and I like the fact that this rifle has served many useful purposes in its history, and can now continue to do so.  It seems a shame to just let it sit in a safe to no purpose.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Are you freaking out because someone scoped and checkered a k98?

-HS
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Get off your high horse.  Those rifles would be in the bottom of the ocean or melted into plowshares if it weren't for all the people who wanted to "sporterize" them.  What do you expect people to do with an $80 rifle?  Some of these "historic" rifles were shat out by the millions during the first half of the century.  Most of the ones that were used in actual combat were lost, corroded or destroyed. Those that did survive have been rebuilt. The nicer stuff that we see on the surplus market spent 99% of its life in a really historic warehouse.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#46]
...if you were at the public range today and whined liked a little bitch that the guy 2 people to your right was hitting you with brass from his AR while you shot your Remington 710, a rifle you publicly stated "I haven't shot my gun in a year" and you only fired one box of ammo.

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:57:42 PM EDT
[#47]
....if, during your annual deer-rifle-zeroing, you fire one shot at a time and insist the entire line of 20+ shooters go cold between your shots so you can go downrange and see where it hit.

I shit you not, I have seen this tried.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:59:59 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Like the guy I met years ago with a M1 "sporter"
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:01:56 PM EDT
[#49]
If I ever go hunting, Which I'd like to do sometime, I'll definatly bring along my AR.  I may hunt with it or I may hunt with my Rem. 700.  But it will be there for the case of "IT's coming right for us!" to defend my very life.

If a bear happens appon me I'm going to want somthing other than my bolt action.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like the guy I met years ago with a M1 "sporter"

Oh no, these guys are just taking something not useful to them and making it useful.  

If any of you need some scrap copper and steel, I hear they have some on a little island in New York Harbor.  Just take it and do something useful with it, the guys here have no problem with that.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top