Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2006 1:31:57 PM EDT
Like the title says.  Mine just took a dump.  It's on it's second hard drive and I think it's time for a new one all together.

TIA
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:35:51 PM EDT
[#1]
A steal this week at Circuit City.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Search.do?c=1&context=&keyword=m115s3094&searchSection=All&go.x=23&go.y=9
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#2]
PM sent..

I like Dell, IBM/Lenobo and Toshiba
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#3]
My company just got me a Toshiba Satelite A 105.

I've had it about a week. Seems good so far. I think it went for about $1,200.

It has a Duo Centrino Processor and 160 GB Hard Drive.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:59:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Can you play games on that one?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:21:47 PM EDT
[#5]
My next one will be a MacBook Pro. Problem is, I have a 3 1/2 year-old titanium Mac PowerBook that still runs like a dream, and is nowhere near obsolete. If you're not doing high-end video editing or gaming, the plain MacBook is a very good deal. Apple's market share of laptops keeps on growing, and is up to 12%. Overall, Apple is now 4th in the industry (behind Gateway, HP and Dell), so you wouldn't be alone.

I love the absence of headaches with a Mac...
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:31:21 PM EDT
[#6]
It is unreal how fast laptop prices have fallen.

I just bought a nice laptop (brand?) for under $550 at officemax.  I was serious about it at 800, and the guy said they go on sale tomorrow.

"Oh, tell me more!"

How did I get along without one?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:32:10 PM EDT
[#7]
tag for tomorrow
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Switch to a Mac. You'll never go back.

K
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Go HP and get a dedicated graphics card... You won't look back. Trust me!
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

K

+1
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:48:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm a DELL fan but get the 24-hour service contract.  It's paid in spades for us.

HH
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My next one will be a MacBook Pro. Problem is, I have a 3 1/2 year-old titanium Mac PowerBook that still runs like a dream, and is nowhere near obsolete. If you're not doing high-end video editing or gaming, the plain MacBook is a very good deal. Apple's market share of laptops keeps on growing, and is up to 12%. Overall, Apple is now 4th in the industry (behind Gateway, HP and Dell), so you wouldn't be alone.

It's finally time for me to replace my G4 circa 2000 (although it still runs like a champ) and I've decided to go the Core 2 duo Macbook Pro route.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:00:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

K

Mac?  Don't you have to learn a new language or something like that?  I'm open to options but as illcompuliterate as I am, I have a hard enough choice on my hands.

Convince me why I should go "Apple" VS "Regular computer thingy"
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:17:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

K

Agreed, but get AppleCare.  No matter who made the laptop, repairs are ridiculously expensive.  It's well worth the money for peace of mind.  I've sold about two dozen relatively new Dell laptops as scrap because Dell charges more than they're worth for repairs.  With the Apples, everything is covered for three years for the single fee.

If you live in a town with an Apple Store I would never consider buying anything besides an Apple.  They're great.  After a coworker dropped a new Apple laptop while we were in Charlotte, NC, I stopped by the Apple Store there and they replaced the laptop with a newer, faster model.  The manager told me they don't normally do that, but they were running four weeks behind on repairs on that model so they just gave us a new one.  With Dell, I've had laptops in for repair for three months or longer.  I don't know about you, but I can't afford to do without a laptop for three or more months with a Dell.

I suggest using OSX but even if you're going to use XP, the Apple laptops are still worth the small amount more for a much better quality laptop.  A friend works for a company that runs XP on ~400 Apples and ~400 HP laptops.  Besides looking and feeling much nicer, the Apple laptops have less than 1/10 the failure rate of the HP's.  Another way to look at it is to ask your friends that have Apple laptops how long they keep them.  Most people I know, like Mazeman, with Apples keep them three or more years.  Most people I know with PC clone laptops keep them for maybe a year.  Switching laptops is such a hassle that it's worth every penny more to get a higher quality laptop that will last longer.  I've had Dells quit three different times during presentations.  I will never again depend on a piece of garbage laptop.z
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:19:19 PM EDT
[#15]
it depends what you want to do with your computer. it's just like asking "what rifle should i get?"

i'm using an alienware m7700 which suits my needs nicely as i use it for gaming as well as more mundane computer tasks. if your needs are less processor intensive then you should be served well by a dell or hp. decide what you want to do with it, decide what your budget is and then decide what you want to invest in. you'll want to consider how much you can upgrade the model you're looking at as well.

the mac cultists will try to convince you to join them but their really is no practical reason to do so - unless you like having less control over what your computer is doing. mac owners are kinda like those guys that buy .38 super 1911s - they just have to be different.

seriously, there is nothing really wrong with a mac, though software choice is a little low. on the other hand, i'm told you can run pc software on a mac. i imagine that would have some effect on your speed.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Most people I know with PC clone laptops keep them for maybe a year.  

thats me, i get new laptops for about 500 to 600 use them till they break and replace them. my last one was a discontinued toshiba that i had for almost 18 months, the one i have now is an acer and at 500 it has been running great for 2 months, no regrets

btw walmart has a nice acer for 599 1 gig ram, 100 gig hdd

the link to circuit city is a good deal too
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:39:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Just please, for the love of all that is holy, do not fall into the hype and get an Alienware...
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:55:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Switch to a Mac. You'll never go back to enjoying good software inexpensively.

K

Fixed it for ya. Don't encourage others to go gay.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:08:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

K

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Search.do?c=1&context=&keyword=m115s3094&searchSection=All&go.x=23&go.y=9

Holycrap.

I'm not buying a new laptop for several months at least, but damn, I wish I had the cash available now...that's a deal.

Jim
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:12:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Toshiba, Dell, Sony, Acer, Asus, Gateway, HP, and Lenovo all make wonderful laptops.

Unless you're COMPLETELY computer illiterate, stay away from Apple.
Buying an apple is like buying a Toyota Corolla with an auto transmission when you could have a Corvette with a six speed; it may make shifting simpler for you, but you just missed out on a Corvette.

Seriously, Apple's are for people who want to have no control over their computers; on top of that, the software selection is lame (unless you're doing the most mundane of tasks or doing a bunch of ghey stuff like video editing and photoshop). They cost more and you get less. Bottom line. Oh, and you can't play games on them (unless of course you consider "Snake" and "Solitare" real computer games).

If you want to play games on a laptop, you'll need to spend about $2000. To get decent graphics and framerate, you'll need components that match these or are near them:

Intel Core Duo processor (at LEAST a 2400; go for a Core Duo 2 if possible!)

AT LEAST 1024MB (1 Gigabyte) of Memory

Nvidia Geforce 7400 or higher -OR- ATI X1400 or higher graphics card

100 GB hard drive

DVD player

Nothing less than a 15.4 inch screen; playing games on anything smaller is not worth it...
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:22:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I am planning on buying a Dell XPS M1210.  It's somewhat of an ultramobile laptop but still packs all the punch of a nice desktop.

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz
2GB DDR2 SDRAM (667MHz)
256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400
12.1 inch wide glossy screen
20GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
8x CD/DVD burner
6 cell/9 cell battery (7 hours of battery)
Integrated Webcam and Mobile Broadband Antenna
Free upgrade from XP Pro to Vista Business

Its not cheap at $2,294.00 but it will last me for a while.  I have looked at the Mac's and am still not sold on them.  I can spend all that money on the laptop and if I go with the Dell I have all the software I could ever need (and access to anything I might need in the future).  If I go with Mac I have to start at square one.  ... I really dont want to hear about how you can run windows on the Mac... really, I dont.  As for "headaches" with Windows.... well, I guess I just know how to take care of my computer so I dont have that problem.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:25:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

K

+2
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:32:48 PM EDT
[#25]

Buying an apple is like buying a Toyota Corolla with an auto transmission when you could have a Corvette with a six speed; it may make shifting simpler for you, but you just missed out on a Corvette.

That is just so completely and utterly wrong.  Apples run UNIX.  I run everything on my Apple laptop that we run on our big UNIX servers at work.  Every day I use software written in Smalltalk, C, Perl, shell-scripts, Java, LISP, PHP, and Python with several different database backends including PostgreSQL and MySQL.  I also run Oracle on OSX for one customer.  I don't like Oracle, but it works just fine on our customer's two year-old $900(+more $ for RAM) iBook laptop.  The entire OS is an integrated development platform.  It is the best laptop for the computer literate.

the software selection is lame

Wrong.  I can get most any piece of UNIX software to compile.  There's a much bigger selection of software available for it than for any proprietary Windows piece of junk.  It is much easier to get any of the nice UNIX software you need to work on an Apple than it is to fight to get it to work poorly under Windows.z
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:52:51 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I am planning on buying a Dell XPS M1210.  It's somewhat of an ultramobile laptop but still packs all the punch of a nice desktop.

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz
2GB DDR2 SDRAM (667MHz)
8x CD/DVD burner

Its not cheap at $2,294.00 but it will last me for a while.  I have looked at the Mac's and am still not sold on them.  I can spend all that money on the laptop and if I go with the Dell I have all the software I could ever need (and access to anything I might need in the future).  If I go with Mac I have to start at square one.  ... I really dont want to hear about how you can run windows on the Mac... really, I dont.  As for "headaches" with Windows.... well, I guess I just know how to take care of my computer so I dont have that problem.

Buy A Mac Laptop.  No Virus problems, no spyware, no worries.
If your buying a laptop to run games, then just buy playstation.
Spending $2294 for a PC laptop is such a bad investment.  You could have such a nice mac for that money.
I guess you are thinking you can just pirate your software from friends so that's your reason to stick with PC.

If you want to really enjoy using a computer and be productive... get a mac.  If you want to troubleshoot and act like you know how to take care of your computer and that makes you feel good about yourself, then buy the PC.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:53:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

That is just so completely and utterly wrong.  Apples run UNIX.  I run everything on my Apple laptop that we run on our big UNIX servers at work.  Every day I use software written in Smalltalk, C, Perl, shell-scripts, Java, LISP, PHP, and Python with several different database backends including PostgreSQL and MySQL.  I also run Oracle on OSX for one customer.  I don't like Oracle, but it works just fine on our customer's two year-old $900(+more $ for RAM) iBook laptop.  The entire OS is an integrated development platform.  It is the best laptop for the computer literate.

the software selection is lame

Wrong.  I can get most any piece of UNIX software to compile.  There's a much bigger selection of software available for it than for any proprietary Windows piece of junk.  It is much easier to get any of the nice UNIX software you need to work on an Apple than it is to fight to get it to work poorly under Windows.z

Correction. Apples run an overpriced, dumbed down, prettied-up version of UNIX. You could just as easily use a free distribution of Linux, BSD, etc. with KDE or GNOME and it would do the same thing, run the same programs, etc. for a HELL of a lot less.

If you're not a retard, you can make Windows work flawlessly. Like I said, there's a learning curve (just like with a manual transmission Corvette), but once you get it, YOU harness POWER.

And besides, you can't [natively] play Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike, etc. on an Apple
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 2:25:38 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

only 512Mb of memory?

kinda slim, but its always upgradeable..

might have to swing by there later and check it out..
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:28:03 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's finally time for me to replace my G4 circa 2000 (although it still runs like a champ) and I've decided to go the Core 2 duo Macbook Pro route.  

You're lucky! Great choice and good timing.
My darn PowerBook just keeps working, so I can't justify the cost now.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:32:00 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
the mac cultists will try to convince you to join them but their really is no practical reason to do so - unless you like having less control over what your computer is doing. mac owners are kinda like those guys that buy .38 super 1911s - they just have to be different.

Not this "cultist". I use both Macs and PCs.

I prefer the Macs because they're much more reliable and stable and safe and intuitive and....
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:40:10 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I've got a G4 12" ibook and a 13" Intel Macbook issed from the job.  Of the two, I use the G4 more often because it's more compact and has less little glitchy OS issues than the Macbook right now.

I've found that things like hooking up to wireless networks and serious multitasking still work better on the G4, and likely will until all the apps and OS are ported over to the intel side.  That said, even the Macbook isn't as glitchy as XP out of the box. The OS is pretty easy to pick up too.  

The macbook runs XP pretty darned well too.  I haven't run into any hardware issues at all, but I haven't really been beating it up.  Speed is great, and the newer builds of Bootcamp are much more stable than the first few.

I'd buy the Macbook or MB Pro just to run windows on right now.  It's a nicely designed and comfortable machine with lots of little features that I like as compared to the run of the mill PC laptops.  I like the Alienware laptops too, but the few I've seen have been absolute bricks that should have come with a team of sherpas to lug 'em around. Also they're pretty, but not really in any way that enhances ease of use or the user interface.  Lots of plugs though

Applecare IS a must though.  Any line of machines will have duds, and dud laptops can be terribly expensive.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:57:17 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Correction. Apples run an overpriced, dumbed down, prettied-up version of UNIX. You could just as easily use a free distribution of Linux, BSD, etc. with KDE or GNOME and it would do the same thing, run the same programs, etc. for a HELL of a lot less.

If you're not a retard, you can make Windows work flawlessly. Like I said, there's a learning curve (just like with a manual transmission Corvette), but once you get it, YOU harness POWER.

And besides, you can't [natively] play Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike, etc. on an Apple

Sounds like the typical stuff one hears from someone who knows how to run a PC *pretty* well, but is completely lost elsewhere.

The OS is free with the machine, and costs about the same as a Windows copy in the box.  There aren't a series of ridiculous license verification "tools" either.  Licensing terms are far more liberal and common sense than the current jackbooted Microsoft "Genuine Advantage" bullshit.  Apple will never disable your machine because it (mistakenly) thinks you're a pirate.  MS will, and it's only going to get worse.

There's a learning curve on the Apple too, if you want to run a network from one.  It can be done though, and it can be done very well.  I haven't found myself digging for 3rd party network admin apps any more than I had to on the PC., in fact the only duties I still use a PC for on the network are the configuration of older network devices that require a serial port.  Most of the stuff is web enabled anymore though, so it's maybe 5 times a year I spin that other guy up.

One other little benefit, you have the choice of either OS X or XP on your new macintoshes.  You can get stuff done in a secure and user friendly atmosphere, and then boot up Windows to run your games.

It's funny though.. You never really will know what your machine can do if you run nothing but Windows.  There's so much archaic legacy BS going that any hardware upgrades are eaten up with system overhead.  The average user buys a new machine every 3 years or so not because their apps require the speed, but because the machine is "clogged up".  The average Mac user replaces every 5 years or so, and does it because the machine is either wore out or just won't handle the newest stuff.  I've got plenty of people running their same old stuff that works for them on ooooooooold Macs without an issue.

I support both platforms, but I do so from a Mac.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:59:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Toshiba

another more budget laptop: Sager--i've had mine for over 4 yrs, and its still running stong; i use it everyday, its been abused like crap, but it still goes (it does get loud and HOT though)
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:25:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:45:42 AM EDT
[#35]
I would go for the Macbook.  OSX and XP on the same platform if you'd like, they're good computers all around (barring some early production hiccups), the new magnetic power supply adapters help ensure that you won't trip over your power cord and dump your laptop on the ground, they're good looking and ergonomically fairly friendly, and there's a lot of open source (free) software that's been ported over from Linux/Unix to Mac.

Downsides?  A bit more expensive, you have to put up with the PC zealots instead of the Mac zealots, and you'll need to spend an hour acquainting yourself with a new OS.  I'll sum up some of the differences between XP and OSX that'll be most apparent to you.

1: The Start Menu and the toolbar at the bottom are replaced with the Dock, which can be used for launching your favourite applications, switching between them, and unhiding windows.
2: The buttons at the top are switched around.  Instead of being on the right they're on the left.  Pressing the X button at the top usually just closes the window, it doesn't close the application.
3: Instead of the menus for an application being contained within the window, they are always at the top of the screen.

Disclaimer: I use a G5 tower at home, and have a work-issued Dell laptop.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:56:25 AM EDT
[#36]
My employer just gave us Acer Aspire 3623 WXMi laptops with DVD/CD burners 512 ram and 80 GB HDs.  Works pretty well. I was wondering what they cost and the 80gig version is about $650 on Amazon. The 40 gig version is only $429 at Tigerdirect.com after a rebate.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:51:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Okay, here's the one I went and picked up.

Toshiba Satellite

Got it home and it runs great and all, uploaded the Norton, Adaware ect. then noticed that the sticker near the keyboard says "intel Centrino Duo"  in the internet ad it states
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5200.  Are these the same or different?

If different, what is the difference?

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz
2GB DDR2 SDRAM (667MHz)
8x CD/DVD burner

Spending $2294 for a PC laptop is such a bad investment.  You could have such a nice mac for that money.
I guess you are thinking you can just pirate your software from friends so that's your reason to stick with PC.

If you want to really enjoy using a computer and be productive... get a mac.  If you want to troubleshoot and act like you know how to take care of your computer and that makes you feel good about yourself, then buy the PC.

With all due respect, you need stop assuming thing.

First of all, I run Windows on all of my computers and I administer Windows Networks on a daily basis.  I dont run antivirus on any of my machines because I dont do stupid things that would cause me to get a virus. (note: i usually do run AV just on principle but I never got around to installing it on this machine)  I dont worry about spyware because, again, I dont do stupid things that cause me to get spyware.

I dont play games.  And I dont want to spend that kind of money on a "nice" Mac.  Explain to me how I would be "more productive" if I were to use a Mac?  I like to think that I am pretty damn productive using my PC.  Why do I need to change?

I'm not going to go any further because I'm tired of explaining myself to all of you Mac people.  Just because you "switched" doesn't mean everyone has to switch.  So, leave your assumptions at home; when it comes to computers I think I know what I'm doing.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:40:41 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Seriously, Apple's are for people who want to have no control over their computers; on top of that, the software selection is lame (unless you're doing the most mundane of tasks or doing a bunch of ghey stuff like video editing and photoshop). They cost more and you get less. Bottom line. Oh, and you can't play games on them (unless of course you consider "Snake" and "Solitare" real computer games).

If you want to play games on a laptop, you'll need to spend about $2000. To get decent graphics and framerate, you'll need components that match these or are near them:

Intel Core Duo processor (at LEAST a 2400; go for a Core Duo 2 if possible!)

AT LEAST 1024MB (1 Gigabyte) of Memory

Nvidia Geforce 7400 or higher -OR- ATI X1400 or higher graphics card

100 GB hard drive

DVD player

Nothing less than a 15.4 inch screen; playing games on anything smaller is not worth it...

MacBookPro's come with 1 gig of memory, Core 2 Duo processor, x1600 graphics card, dvd burner, web cam, and a 120 gig hard drive.  All for $2000.  And it all fits in a one inch thin case.  Macs have the best hardware there is right now in laptops, both in performance and ergonomics.  Plus, you can run XP on it (natively, with no performace loss).

So in conclusion, you don't know what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

K

What part of paying for Windows and then every single piece of software (even to burn a freakin CD) to use it is either good or inexpensive?

Or wait, you were talking about the fact that everybody pirates software illegally right?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:52:10 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you play games on that one?

Havn't really tried it yet. Here is the notebook I got.
Toshiba Satelite A105
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:55:07 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz
2GB DDR2 SDRAM (667MHz)
8x CD/DVD burner

First of all, I run Windows on all of my computers and I administer Windows Networks on a daily basis.  I dont run antivirus on any of my machines because I dont do stupid things that would cause me to get a virus. (note: i usually do run AV just on principle but I never got around to installing it on this machine)  I dont worry about spyware because, again, I dont do stupid things that cause me to get spyware.

I dont play games.  And I dont want to spend that kind of money on a "nice" Mac.  Explain to me how I would be "more productive" if I were to use a Mac?  I like to think that I am pretty damn productive using my PC.  Why do I need to change?

I'm not going to go any further because I'm tired of explaining myself to all of you Mac people.  Just because you "switched" doesn't mean everyone has to switch.  So, leave your assumptions at home; when it comes to computers I think I know what I'm doing.

You are assuming we all have made a switch.  Proud mac user since 1984.  If you admin a PC network and don't have virus software running, hmm what about spam email coming into your network full of virus and spyware?  If you don't run it, then I guess you just don't know you got it.  PC's are good for simple things like word, excel, email, and internet surfing, but if you want to be productive developing websites, multimedia, music ect, then get a mac.  If you want to actually start using a computer for pictures, music and video, then mac is the only logical choice.  PC's can do those things, but none of them well, and you basicall troubleshoot all day long, that's why you admin a PC network, your troubleshooting the little things that we mac users don't have to.  PC users love to bash Mac, but it's basically because they have never actually used one for any length of time, they just mock what they don't know.  Mac users have all used PC's and know what they don't want to be doing all day long, and that's troubleshooting crashed applications, crashed hard drives, virus's, blue screen of death, cheap hardware that fails...the list goes on and on.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Toshiba Satellite

Got it home and it runs great and all, uploaded the Norton, Adaware ect. then noticed that the sticker near the keyboard says "intel Centrino Duo"  in the internet ad it states

Thanks again.

Damn, thats the same one I just got.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:02:49 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Toshiba Satellite

Thanks again.

Core 2 Duo is just about the fastest consumer processer currently available.  I don't know how the Centrino Duo compares though.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:12:07 PM EDT
[#45]
I'll take that old broken POS off your hands.
I like Mac's, Hell my old 7500/100 is still kicking around. :p
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:12:33 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz
2GB DDR2 SDRAM (667MHz)
8x CD/DVD burner

You are assuming we all have made a switch.  Proud mac user since 1984.  If you admin a PC network and don't have virus software running, hmm what about spam email coming into your network full of virus and spyware?  If you don't run it, then I guess you just don't know you got it.  PC's are good for simple things like word, excel, email, and internet surfing, but if you want to be productive developing websites, multimedia, music ect, then get a mac.  If you want to actually start using a computer for pictures, music and video, then mac is the only logical choice.  PC's can do those things, but none of them well, and you basicall troubleshoot all day long, that's why you admin a PC network, your troubleshooting the little things that we mac users don't have to.  PC users love to bash Mac, but it's basically because they have never actually used one for any length of time, they just mock what they don't know.  Mac users have all used PC's and know what they don't want to be doing all day long, and that's troubleshooting crashed applications, crashed hard drives, virus's, blue screen of death, cheap hardware that fails...the list goes on and on.

I should have been more clear.  I am currently not running, and have not been running AV on my personal computer.  On business networks I certainly run AV.

Your assertion that PC's are only good for "simple" things is ... not based on fact.  PC's do everything you mentioned and they do, in fact, do them well.  If they didn't do them well Apple would most certainly hold a larger share of the market.

This "troubleshooting" that you speak of.. I guess I don't know what all you are tossing into that "troubleshooting" so I wont try to address that.  Most people have never tried a Mac because they found they can do everything they want to do, and more, on a PC for a hell of a lot cheaper.  Explain how running OSX or a MAC will keep your hard drive from crashing?  Hardware is only as cheap as the person that buys it.  Also, I haven't seen a BSOD for ages.

So, your list goes on and on but doesn't really say anything other than "I'm a Mac user and you should be do because its the only cool thing to do."  For the record I used Mac hardware/software back in high school when I was the student net admin and I spent 90% of my time explaining to students that Mac's always freeze like that and that I was sorry they just lost hours of work.  (I know that's not the norm any more.. but first impressions last.)

Bottom line, I can do anything and everything I want on a PC.  Windows or Linux.  I dont need a Mac or.. anything from Apple.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:37:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Centrino refers to the combination of processor, chipset, and wireless access hardware in a laptop.  There's several flavors.

I have no doubt that your notebooks are Core 2 Duo processors, in a Centrino configuration.

Jim
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:42:28 PM EDT
[#48]

For the record I used Mac hardware/software back in high school when I was the student net admin and I spent 90% of my time explaining to students that Mac's always freeze like that and that I was sorry they just lost hours of work.

Bottom line, I can do anything and everything I want on a PC. Windows or Linux. I dont need a Mac or.. anything from Apple.

Mac OS X is completely different from previous versions of Mac OS.  It's based on BSD Unix.  It's not too different from Linux, except that everything "just works" in Mac OS X, and it comes with the most fancy desktop environment I've ever seen (Aqua).  If you like Linux, then you'll like Mac OS X.  

In addition to that, Apple has the best computer hardware there is, in my opinion.  Their laptops are second to none, and the mini's are plain genius.  Their hardware is for the most part more expensive than PC's, but their quality is unrivaled.  I would say their current laptops are definitely NOT overpriced.  Compare the MacBook Pro with $2000 PC laptops and there's no comparison in quality; the MacBook Pro wins hands down.  

I use both Mac OS X and Windows -- and Linux for that matter.  I'm perfectly happy using either of these three for day to day use.  I need to use all three for work though -- for porting, testing, and debugging the software that I write.  Getting a MacBook or MacBook Pro is a no brainer for me, because I can run all three operating systems that I need, plus have the absolute best laptop ergonomics currently available and also the highest performance available in laptops today.

If you want cheap hardware, get a PC.  If you want the best hardware ergonomics and performance currently available, then get a Mac and run whatever operating system you want on it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

For the record I used Mac hardware/software back in high school when I was the student net admin and I spent 90% of my time explaining to students that Mac's always freeze like that and that I was sorry they just lost hours of work.

Bottom line, I can do anything and everything I want on a PC. Windows or Linux. I dont need a Mac or.. anything from Apple.

Mac OS X is completely different from previous versions of Mac OS.  It's based on BSD Unix.  It's not too different from Linux, except that everything "just works" in Mac OS X, and it comes with the most fancy desktop environment I've ever seen (Aqua).  If you like Linux, then you'll like Mac OS X.  

In addition to that, Apple has the best computer hardware there is, in my opinion.  Their laptops are second to none, and the mini's are plain genius.  Their hardware is for the most part more expensive than PC's, but their quality is unrivaled.  I would say their current laptops are definitely NOT overpriced.  Compare the MacBook Pro with $2000 PC laptops and there's no comparison in quality; the MacBook Pro wins hands down.  

I use both Mac OS X and Windows -- and Linux for that matter.  I'm perfectly happy using either of these three for day to day use.  I need to use all three for work though -- for porting, testing, and debugging the software that I write.  Getting a MacBook or MacBook Pro is a no brainer for me, because I can run all three operating systems that I need, plus have the absolute best laptop ergonomics currently available and also the highest performance available in laptops today.

If you want cheap hardware, get a PC.  If you want the best hardware ergonomics and performance currently available, then get a Mac and run whatever operating system you want on it.

Yes, I know that iOSX is different and I know its closely related to BSD.  You forgot to quote the part where I said the freezing is no longer the norm.

Tell me.. how are the Intel processor, ATI video card, and [insert whatever cheap HD here] different between a Mac and a PC?  Does Apple have special Intel plants.... or.. special ATI plants.. or... do they get a different kind of SATA hard drive?  Do they buy different samsung LCD's panels or .. yeah.. i think (hope) you get the point.

Here is the one.. and only solution to this god awful boring over blown conversation.

1) If you like windows and PC's get a damn PC.
2) If you like Mac get and damn Mac.
3) It is not your place to tell someone to get one.. or the other.  If someone has used one.. or the other and has determined that one... or the other is their preference... then fine.  Let it stand at that.

I get tired of this conversation every time I have it.  I dont want a Mac.  I don't care how good someone else thinks they are.  When I decide that I want a Mac I'll get a Mac.. Until then I will stick with what I have been using forever... with little or no trouble.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:37:04 AM EDT
[#50]

Tell me.. how are the Intel processor, ATI video card, and [insert whatever cheap HD here] different between a Mac and a PC? Does Apple have special Intel plants.... or.. special ATI plants.. or... do they get a different kind of SATA hard drive? Do they buy different samsung LCD's panels or .. yeah.. i think (hope) you get the point.

You can find the same components in a PC laptop, and perhaps for a cheaper price.  But that's where the ergonomics come in.  The MacBook Pro is 1" thin, has a breakaway power cord, aluminum case, backlit keyboard, etc.  They're designed very well.

I'm not telling you that everyone should get it, cause afterall they are expensive.  I'm just saying that they're very high-quality laptops, the best there currently is IMO, and that it can run Windows XP just like any other laptop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top