Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2006 1:01:40 PM EDT
I want to make my own beef jerky. It's damn good but expensive to buy the $6 packs all the time. I was looking at these dehydrators:

www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=1120727

and the Ronco one:

www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5141321

The first one is only $5 more than the Ronco, and it seems to be a better machine. Anyone have experience with either of them?

Any tips on making my own jerky/ fruit chips?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I use the Ronco one. I've had it for years, works good enough for me. I picked up extra rings when I did. I got a small meat cutter along time ago and use that to cut a really lean 4lb roast to between 1/16 to 1/8 thick. The recipes that come with it are pretty good to. It only takes about 5 seconds to marinate. Besides making the apple and bannana chips, I also use it to dry out the spices that I grow in the garden to use all year long. Hope this helps you.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Alton Brown uses a box fan and furnace air filters.  As long as your jerky is cured all you have to do is remove moisture, no heat is required.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:30:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I own the Ronco one, and have owned it for years.  never a problem.

I sometimes make a jamaican Jerk seasoning.  Lots of Scotch bonnets and Habaneros, let the meat marinate overnight.  It makes it very spicy.  I never have a problem with anyone not eating it.  

I use at least one nice roast, slightly frozen.  Then slice it 1/16 inch thick.  So, if the roast is large enough, half the meat for jerky, the other half for bul-go-gi.  And bul-go-gi jerky is damn tasty.

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:31:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#5]
When shopping for dehydrators you want to look at---

Wattage

Adjustable temp range

Cost of replacement rings

Cost of the product

I've been using an American Harvester dehydrator for 18yr's now. Can't complain...
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Alton Brown uses a box fan and furnace air filters.  As long as your jerky is cured all you have to do is remove moisture, no heat is required.

+ 1 on this method....
Inexpensive and it works.

Meat is placed between the two filters. The fan provides circulation.

Eight-ten hours later...voila! Jerky.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:44:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Dales Seasoning (liquid)
Soy Sauce (liquid)
Worchester Sauce (liquid)
Brown Sugar (solid)
Tony's Seasoning (solid)

All to taste
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:07:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I use the oven set as low as it can go, cracked open to let the moisture out, and place the meat on a set of jerky racks.  It works great and tasts good.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:09:02 PM EDT
[#9]
ost for later shopping.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:17:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Combine in a big zip lock bag:

Dale's ---bout 3/4's of a well shook up bottle

Brown Sugar---bout 3/4's cup

Garlic Salt----bout 3 tablespoon's (just keep shaking!!)

Onion Powder---Same as above

Course Black Pepper---bunch!! bout 1/4 cup or so!!!

Get some London Broil and slice it thin.Really any CHEAP cut of lean red meat will do but make sure it's thin or it will be tough 1/8" is about perfect!!

Mix marinade very good and put everything in fridge for 24 hours!!! Forget the 2-3 hour stuff....24 hours!!

Every once in awhile take bag from fridge and shake / re-distribute everything very well.

After 24 hours clean sink and set bag near it and cut bag or drain excess juice,start placing on the dehydrator racks.Mine is set at 155 degree's and it takes about 2 - 5 hours but start "tasting" at 2hrs until done to your satisfaction.

This makes a very VERY nice tasting beef jerky!!  Make sure you use course black pepper....YEHAW!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top