Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2006 10:56:28 AM EDT
Never saw any like these, they look like a bright red lady bug and the black ones ones are kinda diamond shaped and flat. Several hundred on each side of the house. What are they and what can i do to get rid of them?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:57:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I bet the are Chinch bugs.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 11:01:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Same thing happening here for the past couple years too.  They're not traditional lady bugs, but I haven't founded the real name of them yet (or a way to prevent their appearance all over the house).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_bug
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 11:10:00 AM EDT
[#4]

These guys?

Boxelder bettles.

The first time I'd ever seen them was when I worked for the city. Hundreds of them around the base of a tree.

Boxelder bug page

Looks like the best method is spraying the tree where they live/breed.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#5]
We had a Boxelder tree on our farm in Iowa....had gagillions of the damn things...but they never did any harm so we just ignored them.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:06:47 PM EDT
[#6]
The biting ladybug beetles were an aisian beetle brought to this country to lower the population of afids on crops.  They ate afids and multiplied like bunnies, a real pain.

The boxelder bugs are atracted to the warm sunny side of a building as it turns cooler.

Thier population is cyclic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top