Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2006 9:55:43 AM EDT
I've got a musket thats been in my family for a long time.  I'd like to replace some missing parts and refinish it.  Any good places online you guys know about?  

Its a Tower Musket for what it matters

Thanks  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:56:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Try Dixie Gun works..
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:25:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool rifle! Any family history to go along with it?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:31:04 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the links.

as far as history, all my dad could tell me is 'its been in the family for along time' , he didn't know any more

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:32:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like a conversion from the Brown Bess.  You might want to find a smith who can restore it to flintlock.  In either case, you still need to get a ramrod for it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:39:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Looks like a conversion from the Brown Bess.  You might want to find a smith who can restore it to flintlock.  In either case, you still need to get a ramrod for it.

Agree, and you may not want to do too much "refinishing".  Joe
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 11:07:55 AM EDT
[#8]
thanks for the help id'ing it.  Here's some closer pics...

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 11:09:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Clean and repair but please don't refinish.  Not only will you destroy its value, but you will permanently destroy its charm.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 11:14:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I have one similar, it still has the flint lock.. I was told mine was a third generation Brown Bess, and dated in the early 1800's............looks good........
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:23:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Clean and repair but please don't refinish.  Not only will you destroy its value, but you will permanently destroy its charm.

i guess i misspoke, i meant restore, not refinish.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:34:03 PM EDT
[#12]
It's a Bess.  Those extra holes in the front portion of the lockplate were for the frizzen spring.  

Now, there's two ways to approach this.  Keep it as is, especially if it's a military conversion.  Second, restore it.  This is more expensive and will destroy its historical value.  Most museums would go for option #1.

BTW, any markings on the thumbpiece or the stock?  It might suggest what unit was issued the Bess.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:01:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It's a Bess.  Those extra holes in the front portion of the lockplate were for the frizzen spring.  

Now, there's two ways to approach this.  Keep it as is, especially if it's a military conversion.  Second, restore it.  This is more expensive and will destroy its historical value.  Most museums would go for option #1.

BTW, any markings on the thumbpiece or the stock?  It might suggest what unit was issued the Bess.

On the stock theres a "BO" engraved into it with an arrow pointing up above it.  Theres also a small engraving on the thumb side, very faint, looks like an O,J, and thee other letters that i can't decipher.

The plate is identical to this...

but with a crown added above the "GR"

The barrel also has three different engravings.  A crown with "GR" under it, with an arrow below the "GR".   The initials "SG" are next to that, and another crown with an "x' is below the first group.

From my quick reading on google, it appears this was a british government issue that was converted later.  I doubt it ever saw the Civil War.  My family didn't arrrive to America until after the war.  Before america, they were in Canada for a few generation after leaving England.

thanks for all the help.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:48:37 PM EDT
[#14]
been on google all day now.

It apears that its a 'third model' India Pattern Brown Bess. thx for the help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top