Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2006 9:03:06 AM EDT
The toolbox I have in the bed of my truck has a broken internal locking mechanism.  I need to figure out a way to lock the box on the outside.  Any realistic suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I don't want to have to sell this one for a big loss just to buy a new one similar to it.  Here's the one I have.

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:07:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Pop-A-Lock

or  

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:11:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I have no problems opening the lid.  I'm trying to secure the contents of what is inside.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:15:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#4]
If you can weld or TIG, use two L pieces with a 90degree bend of steel or aluminum, use a cutting torch or big drill and put a hole in both pieces big enough to put a master lock through, weld or tig those two pieces on the lid and the base of the box so that the holes in each piece line up, then put a masterlock through it.

Sorry if that's hard to understand, I haven't slept in a while.

ETA Or save a lot of trouble and buy what Hanau suggested.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm have no way to weld something.  The picture above, how would you mount it?  This is fairly flimsy aluminum.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Call Kobalt and get new locks and keys?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:52:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Either get new locks from the company, or bolt a hasp (or better two hasps, one near each end) onto the thing and lock it with QUALITY padlocks...
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:05:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm have no way to weld something.  The picture above, how would you mount it?  This is fairly flimsy aluminum.

drill holes where the mounting holes are and cut a piece of flat steel and drill same holes thru it.
then but bolts thru the hasp, toolbox, steel plate then tighten nuts down.
do it for both sides.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:00:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Disregard.  I got it fixed.  Thanks for the help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top