Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2006 9:14:48 PM EDT
1) I am having a devil of a time getting my humidor to stay around 60% humidity (which, IIUC, is the ideal level).

I took all the cigars out last week and DRENCHED the inside of the humidor with distilled water. Took two days, but it finally got up to where it needed to be. I then put my pretty-dry cigars in, and I'm back down to 40%. I understand that the cigars sucked some of it up, but I can't seem to get the humidity level back up with the cigars in there. Right now I have the humidity thingy (name slips my mind) and two shot glass of DI water in there.

Am I doing something wrong?

2) What's the best way to get rid of the cigar taste in your throat after you have a smoke?
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:22:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to the store and get some of the kitty litter beads, they should be blue. Get a table spoon or so of them and put them in a small container with 3 or 4 tbl of distilled water. Put in humi, and let it sit for a week before worrying about it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:25:55 PM EDT
[#2]
My humidor is thirsty these days too.  I guess it's because of the woodburning heater that I heat my house with and the low humidity these last few weeks.  Have you soaked your discs lately?  My humidor came with instructions on soaking the humidification discs properly.

The after taste is from smoking the cigar too long.  Cigar snobs will tell you to only smoke one half to two thirds of the cigar.  I smoke mine untill it burns my fingers.

Try blowing out through the cigar after several puffs.  This seems to clear some of the lingering heat.  Don't smoke it too fast either.

There are rules.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:30:09 PM EDT
[#3]
You want to soak your humidor 3 times to prepare it so that the wood will soak it up and expand.  Make sure that you have a good seal.  Also, make sure that you have a good humidifier.  Most of the ones that come with humidors suck.  I prefer Diamond Crown myself honestly.  65-70 is generally what's recommended, but I keep mine between 70 and 75 as that seems to be best to me.  I have a humidor similiar to this one:

http://humidorswholesaler.com/products.php/item_id/258 as my main one and a couple others.  That being said, a good seal is essential, otherwise you just let the moisture run out.  

Edited to add:  For the after taste, smoke a good cigar.. :D  Other wise, Cigar Clear.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Try blowing out through the cigar after several puffs.  This seems to clear some of the lingering heat.  Don't smoke it too fast either.

Ah! Hadn't heard that one. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 11:02:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Bump for the bored-and-without-a-life-on-Sunday crew.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
1) I am having a devil of a time getting my humidor to stay around 60% humidity (which, IIUC, is the ideal level).

2) What's the best way to get rid of the cigar taste in your throat after you have a smoke?

You have a lousy seal on the humidor. Put a flashlight inside, see where light comes out. You can use cedar strips (some cigars come wrapped in thin cedar) to shore it up.

Drink whiskey.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I use "Climmax" beads, they come in 65% & 70% RH.  FWIW I use the 65rh in a couple of 50qt. cooleradoors

also sold under other names, here ya go :

linkypoo
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#8]
stupid newbie question: should I leave the cigars in the plastic wrap in the humidor or unwrap them when I put them in?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
stupid newbie question: should I leave the cigars in the plastic wrap in the humidor or unwrap them when I put them in?

If you put more than one kind in the same humidor then you need to keep them in the wrap, otherwise cigars can begin to taste like each other.  I like to be able to distinguish between cigars so I keep mine separated.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:03:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I use "Climmax" beads, they come in 65% & 70% RH.  FWIW I use the 65rh in a couple of 50qt. cooleradoors

also sold under other names, here ya go :

linkypoo

you can get them here:

www.heartfeltindustries.com/Beads.htm

along with tubes to keep them in. Works for me
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:03:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You want to soak your humidor 3 times to prepare it so that the wood will soak it up and expand.  Make sure that you have a good seal.  Also, make sure that you have a good humidifier.  Most of the ones that come with humidors suck.  I prefer Diamond Crown myself honestly.  65-70 is generally what's recommended, but I keep mine between 70 and 75 as that seems to be best to me.  I have a humidor similiar to this one:

http://humidorswholesaler.com/products.php/item_id/258 as my main one and a couple others.  That being said, a good seal is essential, otherwise you just let the moisture run out.  

Edited to add:  For the after taste, smoke a good cigar.. :D  Other wise, Cigar Clear.

+1  This is correct.  I have heard 68 is optimal.  If you get it to 60, your cigars won't last long.  Especially the more premium (ISOF) kind.

The best results I, and others I know, have had is using a large rubbermaid container.  sealing the lid with weather stripping, sticking some SPANISH cedar in it and purchasing some kind of humidification, the cheapest (and works) are those big green blocks you can get in a grocery store that people use for fake flower arrangements; although they are harder to regulate.  ALWAYS use a good hygrometer.   You can use other woods but they have problems:  Cedar (not spanish); can cause worms, and the cigars will taste like cedar.  Mahoganny; doesn't absorb wood as well.  I don't know of any reason why you wouldn't use spanish cedar, and most humidors are made of it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#12]

The beads are great for a climate with moderate humidity and a nice, tight humidor. Sounds like your humidor, however, is a moisture sink. If you can't shore it up or buy a tighter one, you'll have to constantly be adding water to the beads.

In your case, you might benefit from a humidifier with a larger water reservoir. This one from Osh Kosh is pretty good. It holds 10 oz of distilled water and has an adjustable vent. They're on sale too.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:08:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I prefer the humidity in the 68-72% range. 60% is waaaaaaaay too dry for me.  Xikar came out with a line of beads that is supposed to be the heat according to my cigar guy. I use the diamond crown passive system and sometimes I have to stick a shot glass of distilled water in there when it gets too dry. The location of your humidor matters too in some climates. An interior closet away from air vents and ceiling fans works best for me here in TN. How many cigars do you have in there? The more you get in there the easier it seems to be to regulate. Lastly, that plastic wrap sticks come in is permeable so leaving them wrapped or taking it off doens't make much difference either way.

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:10:16 PM EDT
[#14]
You should not use Distilled Water alone, rather, use a 50% Propylene Glycol mix.

Here are a couple of sources:

Pre-mixed:
www.jrcigar.com/index.cfm?page=accessories_detail&ItemCode=3MA16&type=HMF

Concentrated:
www.chemistrystore.com/propylene_glycol.htm
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:12:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Why dont they just individually seal the cigars in the tubes with a cedar sheet wrapped around them?

Seems to keep the freshness in until the seal is broken.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:12:54 PM EDT
[#16]

You can't just use Distilled Water

Not true. The glycol will make the water last longer though.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:13:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

This is an endless debate among cigar smokers. Sort of like "what's better, the AR or AK"

I leave the celo on. It acts as a small buffer for changes in humidity in the humidor. Many other people take it off.
Regardless, you should rotate your cigars in the humidor occasionally (move them around), and open it up for fresh air.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:15:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Before you go too crazy, how are you measuring the humidity?

Those analog hygrometers that come with most humidors are often inaccurate. You may want to pick up a digital one (if you haven't already) to double check.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Those analog hygrometers that come with most humidors are often inaccurate. You may want to pick up a digital one (if you haven't already) to double check.

Better to do the salt test on your analog hygrometer before running out and dropping $ on digital. I found that out after buying my DC system, turns out my analog was only 1% or so off.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:22:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

You can't just use Distilled Water

Not true. The glycol will make the water last longer though.

Let me re-state.  PG will aid in more easily maintaining a constant 70% humidity.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:23:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The beads are great for a climate with moderate humidity and a nice, tight humidor. Sounds like your humidor, however, is a moisture sink. If you can't shore it up or buy a tighter one, you'll have to constantly be adding water to the beads.

In your case, you might benefit from a humidifier with a larger water reservoir. This one from Osh Kosh is pretty good. It holds 10 oz of distilled water and has an adjustable vent. They're on sale too.

I use the linked OshKosh and have no trouble keeping mine at 70% all year round.

I also have a 1000 plus humidor that I cannot get sealed just right, still trying to figure it out. If you have one of this size it's best to use electric humdifiers.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:58:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I had all these problems with humidity myself, then I got one of these.

I have to fill it 2-3 times a year and, it doesn't fluctuate.
If you're serious about cigars, this is the investment to make.
And you cannot beat an electronic system.

Prior to that, and what alot of people do, is use improvised methods. Coolers, tupperware, I even know guys who use wine coolers. These methods can work really good... you only need two things...

1.) a good seal
2.) the heartfelt beads

Desktop humidors for $50 just don't seal all that well.
Alot of them are not really even cedar, just a laminate.

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:51:44 PM EDT
[#23]
oh
JR Cigar rules. I stopped in the one in Statesville on my way home from the family reunion I went to in GA
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:55:15 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Analog.

I suspect I may have to invest in a decent humidor. The one I have was somewhere arounf $100. Mass-produced. Seems to seal well, but I'm very new to all this.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:56:01 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Analog.

I suspect I may have to invest in a decent humidor. The one I have was somewhere arounf $100. Mass-produced. Seems to seal well, but I'm very new to all this.

Do the "drop test" for the lid. When you drop the lid, it should make a "whoosh", then close slowly.

I got a Savoy humidor that I'm very happy with. They're made by Ashton, but are a lot less expensive. You can get them for $100-200, rather than the >$1000 that the Ashtons cost.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:58:18 AM EDT
[#26]
I use the Cigar Oasis.  It keeps it at what ever percentage I want and I only have to refil it every couple of months.  It was the best $100 I've ever spent.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:05:15 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I use the Cigar Oasis.  It keeps it at what ever percentage I want and I only have to refil it every couple of months.  It was the best $100 I've ever spent.

+1

No doubt, have a few of those cigar oasis units, love em, better than any other cigar humidifier I've ever used (and I've used most of them). I also use the climmax beads in my smaller humidors and that works good as well but require more attention.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:05:36 AM EDT
[#28]
I used to have the same damn problems as you guys. The wood humidors leak. Your cigars suffer for it.

So I used a coolerdor for a while with good results and then went with a fridgerador eventually. It has an electronic cigar oasis and a johnson thermostat to keep everything at 70/70 year round. Been using the fridgerador 2 or 3 years now. My cigars have never tasted better either!

old pic

recent pic
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#29]
I see some Ashton VSG's - excellent choice, they are just about my favorite. I can't find the Opus X's around here but I hear a lot of mixed reviews. What's your take?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:11:04 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you put more than one kind in the same humidor then you need to keep them in the wrap, otherwise cigars can begin to taste like each other.  I like to be able to distinguish between cigars so I keep mine separated.

I wish this actually worked, then I could keep a few cheapies in with my cubans and they would taste like the cubans, but sadly it does not seem to work that way. I understand what you are getting at, in the cigar world it's called "marrying" but real changes of taste are not a real concern unless you keep flavored cigars with your natural cigars. A white owl is never going to taste like an Opus X even if it was surrounded by them for years.

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:14:26 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I see some Ashton VSG's - excellent choice, they are just about my favorite. I can't find the Opus X's around here but I hear a lot of mixed reviews. What's your take?

I love the Opus X, the smaller ones. I had a 5 year aged Opus X a while back and it was the best cigar I ever smoked, and I smoke all the premiums (cubans too).

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:20:35 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Opus's are great cigars, but they are expensive. So, you can get an Arturo Fuente Hemmingway or AF Don Carlos and its gonna be 98% of what an Opus X is, but cost half as much.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:24:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Yeah, my cigar guys stocks the Hemmingways, they are good sticks. He's a loooooong time smoker and according to him the Don Carlos are just as good as the X's if properly aged.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:30:07 AM EDT
[#34]
for any further questions i must refer you to www.eherf.com

great website, very knowledgable guys

i'm running a coolerdor and 150ct desktop both with 65% heartfelt industries beads.  the coolerdor maintains very well while i have to check on the desktop about once a week.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Beautiful setup there Gaspain!
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:45:19 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Beautiful setup there Gaspain!

+1 Very nice!
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 12:29:34 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
A white owl is never going to taste like an Opus X even if it was surrounded by them for years.

Yeah, but will the Opus X start to taste like the White Owls?  
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 12:38:49 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A white owl is never going to taste like an Opus X even if it was surrounded by them for years.

Why would you even waste space in your humidor by sticking flavored cigars in there?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:23:05 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would you even waste space in your humidor by sticking flavored cigars in there?

White Owls are cigars?!

Personally, I don't like ANY flavored cigars, but if you do, you don't want to mix even the better flavored cigars (like Acids) with your regular cigars in the humidor. The unflavored ones may take up the taste.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I used to have the same damn problems as you guys. The wood humidors leak. Your cigars suffer for it.

So I used a coolerdor for a while with good results and then went with a fridgerador eventually. It has an electronic cigar oasis and a johnson thermostat to keep everything at 70/70 year round. Been using the fridgerador 2 or 3 years now. My cigars have never tasted better either!

old pic
i47.photobucket.com/albums/f156/gaspain/refrigerador2.jpg

recent pic
i47.photobucket.com/albums/f156/gaspain/fuenteX.jpg

Onyx, Opus X, VSGs....

You sir, have good taste.

I could live on those, with maybe an occasional Padron Aniversario (either 1964 or 1926)...
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Yep...  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top