Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2006 7:55:38 PM EDT
I just got this email from the NV GOP and thought it was very interesting in seeing just who is trying to push this crap on us here in Nevada.

Just Who Is Behind The Legalization of Marijuana Effort???

Scott Burns, deputy director of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy for State and Local Affairs, said the power behind the initiative was using Nevada as a "guinea pig" to see if it can legalize all drugs.  "This initiative is funded 98 percent from Washington, D.C.," he said, naming John Sperling, founder of the University of Phoenix; Peter Lewis of Progressive Insurance Co.; and billionaire investor George Soros and the money men behind the ballot measure.  "They picked us because our Western rural heritage is we don't like people like me coming in and telling you how to vote or what to do. They're not in Connecticut, New Hampshire, Delaware or Vermont. They think they can con you." “Bush official speaks against Question 7,” Nevada Appeal 10/24/06

Billionaire financier George Soros, funded legal defense for radical lawyer Lynne Stewart, who was found guilty of aiding Islamic terrorists.  According to records filed with the Internal Revenue Service, Soros's foundation, the Open Society Institute, or OSI, gave $20,000 in September 2002 to the Lynne Stewart Defense Committee.  Stewart's legal troubles stemmed from her defense of Sheik Omar Abdel Rahman, sometimes known as the Blind Sheikh. Rahman led an Egyptian-based terrorist organization known as the Islamic Group.  In 1996, Rahman was sentenced to life in prison for his involvement in the first attack on the World Trade Center, in 1993, and for his part in failed plots to blow up the United Nations building and the Lincoln and Holland tunnels in New York.  After his conviction, Rahman's followers threatened a series of terrorist attacks against American targets unless he were released. In 1998, the U.S. government reportedly had intelligence that Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda were plotting to hijack aircraft in the United States in order to demand freedom for Rahman and other convicted terrorists.  Because of those threats, the government issued a special order that the imprisoned Rahman not be allowed to communicate with his followers, to prevent his inciting them to further violence. He was allowed to communicate only with his wife and with his lawyers, who were not allowed to relay his wishes to his followers.  Stewart promised to abide by those rules. But at her trial, the government produced evidence showing that Stewart and two codefendants on a number of occasions used their privileged access to Rahman to help transmit Rahman's orders to his followers in the Islamic Group.  On February 10, Stewart was convicted on two counts of providing material aid to terrorists and three counts of lying to federal investigators.  (http://www.nationalreview.com/york/york200502170843.asp)

Soros is the Primary Financier of Left-Wing Causes.  Tax records of Soros’ Open Society Institute show contributions of: $4.41 million to the American Civil Liberties Union and its state affiliates; $500,000 to the Pro-Choice Education; $100,000 to the Death Penalty Information Center, an organization that works against capital punishment; $100,000 to the Pennsylvania Coalition to Save Lives Now "to support needle exchange programs," $35,000 to the Abortion Access Project. (Jeff Johnson, “George Soros' $30M Welfare Check,” CNSNews.com, April 26, 2005)

Soros Helped Finance a Pro-Marijuana Children’s Book.  “Dr. Robert Newman, served on the Board of Directors for the Drug Policy Foundation as early as 1997, and presently serves on the board of directors with another minority witness, Rev. Edwin Sanders, of the Drug Policy Alliance (the new name of the Drug Policy Foundation since its merger with the aforementioned Lindesmith Center).  The Drug Policy Alliance describes itself as “the nation’s leading organization working to end the war on drugs.” Along with its major donor George Soros, it helped produce It’s Just a Plant, a pro-marijuana children’s book.  I will be very interested in learning from the witnesses today what they believe U.S. Government policy should be with respect to financing heroin distribution, safe-injection facilities, and how-to manuals like H Is For Heroin, published by the Harm Reduction Coalition, and children’s books on smoking marijuana, produced with the help of the organization run by two of the minority’s witnesses today.” (Mark Souder, opening statement, “Harm Reduction or Harm Maintenance: Is There Such a Thing as Safe Drug Abuse?”, hearing before the Subcommittee on Criminal Justice, Drug Policy, and Human Resources, February 16, 2005, http://www.dpna.org/resources/current/02-16-5c.htm)

Peter Lewis donated $16 million to the Joint Victory Committee (the name given to the three largest 527s, which combined to defeat George W. Bush). He also gave nearly $3 million to America Coming Together (ACT)—a group that allowed the AFLCIO, Sierra Club and pro-choice Emily’s List to come together—and $2.5  million to the anti-war MoveOn.Org. His aggregate donations of $22,997,000 to 527 groups rival those of his friend, financier George Soros, who was the top 527 donor with gifts totaling $23,450,000. Soros and Lewis are far ahead of third-ranked Hollywood producer Stephen Bing ($13,852,000).  Along with his Bush-bashing, financial reports show that Lewis’s favorite causes in 2004 included decriminalizing marijuana... He donated $485,000 to the Marijuana Policy Project

In 2003, Lewis’ foundation, the Place Fund, gave 4,122 shares of Progressive Corporation stock valued at $293,432 to the Marijuana Policy Project and 665 shares of the stock valued at $49,965 to the Drug Policy Foundation of Washington. In 2002 Progressive shares valued at about $199,000 went to the Marijuana Policy Project and 6,633 shares of Progressive valued at $998,598 went to the Drug Policy Alliance.

At times, Lewis and his two political amigos have funded measures that go well beyond permitting mere medicinal use of marijuana. In 2002, Lewis financed through the Marijuana Policy Project a Nevada initiative known as Question 9, which would legalize marijuana outright. “It would force the state to grow marijuana, tax it, and sell up to 3 ounces per purchase in retail stores,” explained Sue Rusche, president of the anti-drug National Families in Action. Nevadans said no to Question 9 by a margin of 2 to 1.

In Lewis’s home state of Ohio, he, Soros and Sperling also were the major financial forces behind a voter initiative, State Issue 1. Again, the purpose was to take a step toward decriminalizing marijuana.  The campaign for State Issue 1, recalled Stratton, “grossly misrepresented what was actually being done about drug abuse and it united both the press and most politicians in both parties against it.” Like the Nevada initiative, the Ohio measure also went own by a 2 to 1 margin (67% to 33%).  (Capital Research Center, Foundation Watch, “Peter B. Lewis: “Aviator” of the Left?” by John Gizzi)

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I have no use for any of those assholes whatsoever.  But if they succeed in "legalizing" a plant, then they have done logic and compassion a service.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:04:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have no use for any of those assholes whatsoever.  But if they succeed in "legalizing" a plant, then they have done logic and compassion a service.

If it was only legalizing a "plant" that would be different.... but when the criminal penalties for driving while under the influence of the this "plant" are LOWERED by approval of this bill.. us NEVADANS LOSE

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:20:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it was only legalizing a "plant" that would be different.... but when the criminal penalties for driving while under the influence of the this "plant" are LOWERED by approval of this bill.. us NEVADANS LOSE

thanks,
Ron

Completely in agreement, to an extent.  I'm afraid I'm in the crowd that feels it's misdirected to make a prophesy of result a crime, but I believe in FIRMLY PUNISHING those who, due to chemical influence, cause injury/loss to another.  FIRMLY.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:46:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Regardless of who's funding the legalization effort we should legalize marijuana. It'd eliminate an excuse to throw people in prison and it'd be less money for the drug trade. As long as you're not harming anyone else you should be free to smoke marijuana.

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:27:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks,
Ron

Completely in agreement, to an extent.  I'm afraid I'm in the crowd that feels it's misdirected to make a prophesy of result a crime, but I believe in FIRMLY PUNISHING those who, due to chemical influence, cause injury/loss to another.  FIRMLY.

Agreed. It's a plant.
Just like a firearm is just a firearm that is used under many circumstances for many reasons, by many people.

Those who impair themselves with something, be it a plant, alcohol, meds, etc., and then go out and operate a vehicle or some other potentially dangerous object (to others) should be punished. Using (whatever it is) in the privacy of your home/property should be your choice. Right to privacy/freedom?

Just like those who steal a firearm, file off the S/N and then shoot someone with it, are criminals. Criminals don't obey the law.

Then there's you and I who buy a firearm, write down the S/N (in an attempt to get it returned to us in the event some asshole steals it) and revel in it's beauty before taking it to the range/hunting... And that's even if it gets to see the light of day. (Safe queens)

The variable here, is the end user. Not the objects themselves.

However, it is your state... Do as you wish with it. I just hope that whatever choice you make, turns out for the better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top