Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2006 5:43:56 PM EDT
I have seen a ton of episodes of COPS and never once have seen a citizen intervine with a CCW (or open carry). You would think with the 1000's of episodes that they would have caught at least one citizen CCW intervention on tape.

Do you think they purposely withhold the film footage on such incidents? If so, why?

After typing this I do remember one episode with a grandma in Florida that had a old as hell .38/.32 with a perp in her garage but she never confronted the perp. Cops got him in the garage.

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope, I've never seen legal concealed carry on that show
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:52:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure they have footage, just never aired it.   If they show law abiding citizens carrying a sidearm....

The sheeple might buy handguns and.....learn to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:52:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:54:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I loved the episode with Grandpa in his tighty whities....well, tighty yellows holding the guy at gunpoint until the cops arrived.

'I caught him trying to get into my car!  I told him to just leave, and he wouldn't go...he said he thought I'd shoot him in the back if he did anything but lay there on the ground!'

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't watch it that much, but I've never seen it. I think it would be pretty cool, though.

Maybe the producers think it's illegal and are confused as to why the cops aren't arresting the CCers, and won't show the footage on fear of liability.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:57:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Nope, no CCW, but I did see an episode where an armed civilian came to the rescue of another civilian.

The cops arrive at a house to find on perp on the front lawn, shot in the ass.  The other perp is just inside the bedroom window, crumpled on the floor in an awkward position, with a bullet wound to the head (guy is already dead).

The cops do some investigating and find out the lady that owns the house called the cops when these two guys tried to break in.  She then called her next door neighbour (better response time) who brought over his gun and shot both perps.

The episode ended with the cops saying the neighbour wouldn't be charge and that the guys who broke in "should have picked another neighbourhood".

Good episode.

RF
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes....
Armed citizen wearing slippers and a house coat holds proned out bad guy at gun point... 'Heard him breaking into/trying to steal his car outta his driveway...
Police arrive and stand there talking with the home owner the whole time the citizen his holding his revolver...

In the aftermath talk the officer tells the camera that "This is Texas... people own guns and will use them to protect property... Basically saying that BG's take a chance when they do a crime..
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I saw an old episode a few weeks ago where an old lady called the police because someone was in her backyard.  As the police officer exited his car, a gunshot was heard.

It turned out that the shot was from the old lady.  She had an old revolver and she thought someone was breaking into her garage.  

The police found that the garage was still locked and when searched, they didn't find anything.

They didn't charge the lady with anything, and they even reloaded her revolver and put it back in the holster on her nightstand.

I know that is not CCW, but it is a citizen with a firearm.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:59:44 PM EDT
[#9]
COPS is filmed on location.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:02:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I've seen a couple episodes where the cops show up to a DOA bad guy at a stop&rob or something because the owners shot back.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:03:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I saw an old episode where a guy had a CCW in his fanny pack and he said he had a permit for it
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:10:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I saw an old episode a few weeks ago where an old lady called the police because someone was in her backyard.  As the police officer exited his car, a gunshot was heard.

It turned out that the shot was from the old lady.  She had an old revolver and she thought someone was breaking into her garage.  

The police found that the garage was still locked and when searched, they didn't find anything.

They didn't charge the lady with anything, and they even reloaded her revolver and put it back in the holster on her nightstand.

I know that is not CCW, but it is a citizen with a firearm.

Yeah, that is the episode I remembered from my first post. I now remember the shot being fired and them reloading the pistol and lecturing her on how it's not safe to do that.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:13:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
COPS is filmed on location.

With the men and women of law enforcement.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:27:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Aren't most of those shows filmed in CA?

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:37:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Vulcan94

I thought a majority of them were from Broward and/or Dade county FL. ????
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:45:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Nope, no CCW, but I did see an episode where an armed civilian came to the rescue of another civilian.

The cops arrive at a house to find on perp on the front lawn, shot in the ass.  The other perp is just inside the bedroom window, crumpled on the floor in an awkward position, with a bullet wound to the head (guy is already dead).

The cops do some investigating and find out the lady that owns the house called the cops when these two guys tried to break in.  She then called her next door neighbour (better response time) who brought over his gun and shot both perps.

The episode ended with the cops saying the neighbour wouldn't be charge and that the guys who broke in "should have picked another neighbourhood".

Good episode.

RF

I remember that episode, it was great. The dead guy had a bandana covering his face and some cheap handgun in his hand. There’s no doubt that he needed a good shooting.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:47:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I've seen a number of episodes from the PACNWEST.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:41:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Vulcan94

No. Newer episodes are from Vegas, Washington state, Arizona, Florida.

I live the old episodes from places like Boston, NYC, Pittsburgh.... They had some good shows back then. Now it all seems to be domestic disturbances and meth related problems.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:52:23 AM EDT
[#19]
You guys do realise CHL holders are very, very, very rare.

The only CHL holders I know are a few friends from this site and some family members. My dad, mom and the Mrs.

In 10 years of LEO expierence I have maybe met 2 CHL holders in the course of my duties.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:38:43 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The only CHL holders I know are a few friends from this site and some family members. My dad, mom and the Mrs.

In 10 years of LEO expierence I have maybe met 2 CHL holders in the course of my duties.

I don't know where you are, but I'm sure that's going to change.  Here in MI, before the new state-wide Shall Issue was passed, it was much more unlikely.  Since it's been law, the numbers have exploded!  People I NEVER would have thought have them now.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:50:04 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know where you are, but I'm sure that's going to change.  Here in MI, before the new state-wide Shall Issue was passed, it was much more unlikely.  Since it's been law, the numbers have exploded!  People I NEVER would have thought have them now.  

It's been pass the background check and $20 get's a you a permit. Nothing else.

And they are still very rare.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:03:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Ok, not a CCW episode but an AZ episode.

A long time ago and I'll always remember this one an officer responds or comes upon a truck which is stalled in the highway and a guy is pushing it with the driver door open. The officer is talking to the camera and then asks the guy a few questions as they are standing in the street and then the camera pans back towards the guy pushing his truck again and in plain site is a pistol laying on the front seat/bench. The camera at this point pans in closer and and back at the officer who asks the guy something to the effect of, "Is that your pistol?" and the guy affirms that it is. At this point the officer looks at the camera and explains something like, "Here in the state of Arizona it's legal to have a firearm in your vehicle like that...." can't remember what he says.

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:04:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:08:14 AM EDT
[#24]
cops use to be the best show, watched it since i was in middle school...it basically is boring and it sucks now. it's funny they always interview the cop that says they want to make a difference...
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:46:01 AM EDT
[#25]
a little off topic, but I got pulled over once by a crew from cops. At least it was something like cops (not sure if it was the actual show)

I was lost and made a u-turn apparently where I couldnt.  I got pulled over and there was a camera guy milling around the cruiser once he realized that I wasnt some jackass who was going to take off.  And I didnt even get a ticket
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top