Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2006 9:01:05 AM EDT
I need to get a new garage door for the house.  
We have a two car garage door with reenforcements so it a bit heavier than the standard door.  

I see they have chain drive, belt drive, screw drive types but is one actually better than another?  I want tone thats going to last as we open/close the garage door 4 or 5 times a day and more on weekends.  Also, is 1/2 HP motor enough?  It seems thats what every body has.   Finally, how is Sears Lift Master brand?

Any knowledgable suggestions and recommendations will be appreciated.

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:28:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Clopay for the door:lightweight,strong.Genie excelerator for opener.HP not as important as properly sprung,hung,balanced door.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:47:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Martin doors are nice.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I went with the original Overhead Garage Doors.  The Banner collection with the highest hurricane rated door and these are the quietest hinged / operating doors.  As mentioned the proper spring tension is most important.  I have had door openers from chain to screw drive.  I currently have the Genie Pro Stealth Belt drive opener and these things are amazingly quiet.  You cannot hear the thing run if the door is disconnected.  You only know that it is moving because the light goes on.  Connected to the quiet operation garage door, you can still barely hear the thing opening.  This is a good thing when your sneaking home late at night.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 11:26:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Okay, question about garage door openers...
Of the chain, belt and screw drive types, which is most durable and long lasting?
I don't care about the noise just the durability.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 11:38:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Of the chain, belt and screw drive types, which is most durable and long lasting?

I used to sell these things at Sears...  I would always reccomend the belt drive.  I never had one returned on meand save a bad installation it should last forever.   People's first question was always about the belt braking but it isn't just made of rubber... there is a steel band in there.   Don't let that concern you.

If I had to buy one it would be a belt.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have also been told that the chain and screw drives may need more maintenance and may actually not last as long as a belt drive.  As mentioned the belt drives are supposed to be extremely durable.

However, the beauty of the belt drives is the lack of noise.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:47:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Get an insulated door.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:49:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a Wayne Dalton i-drive in my last house.  Super quiet and dependable.  Now I have a no name chain driven one, and when it dies, I'm going back to Wayne Dalton.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top