Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/27/2006 8:06:26 AM EDT
Anyone here drive a Jeep Liberty? My girlfriend bought a used one about 6 months ago.  2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade model.  She currently has about 20,000 miles on it.

We both notice at times it has a rough idle, nothing that will shake you out of the car but definitely noticeable.

The low tire pressure light comes on constantly even though the tire pressure is set to spec.

So this morning, she drops the car off at the dealer to have it looked at and they tell her they will check it out no problem.  They state they will investigate the tire pressure light situation BUT the rough idle is common and the majority of Jeeps act this way.

WTF?  common?  Do they just accept that their cars idle this way and not give a shit?  

Does anyone here have this problem or situation with their Jeep, particularly the Liberty model?
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:09:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the high quality vehicles being produced in Detroit. My solution to problems such as yours was to upgrade to a Toyota. Detroit has lost my business forever.

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:10:10 AM EDT
[#2]
My partner has one.  Its a POS.  Been to the dealer already several times. Never stranded her though.

Sounds like what GM had with their trucks. Piston slap and they will deny it until they are facing a lawsuit.  I am not saying that the Liberty engine has it but I wouldnt doubt they have problems and the company is not saying anything.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:11:49 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Welcome to the high quality vehicles being produced in Detroit. My solution to problems such as yours was to upgrade to a Toyota. Detroit has lost my business forever.

They're made in Toledo.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:14:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Anyone here drive a Jeep Liberty? My girlfriend bought a used one about 6 months ago.  2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade model.  She currently has about 20,000 miles on it.

We both notice at times it has a rough idle, nothing that will shake you out of the car but definitely noticeable.

The low tire pressure light comes on constantly even though the tire pressure is set to spec.

So this morning, she drops the car off at the dealer to have it looked at and they tell her they will check it out no problem.  They state they will investigate the tire pressure light situation BUT the rough idle is common and the majority of Jeeps act this way.

WTF?  common?  Do they just accept that their cars idle this way and not give a shit?  

Does anyone here have this problem or situation with their Jeep, particularly the Liberty model?

The Liberty is an abomination.  You either want a Cherokee or a Wrangler.  You can't buy the aborted fetus of that unholy marriage and expect to like it.

Take that POS to the dealership and trade it for a real Jeep....

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:17:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Liberty is an abomination.  You either want a Cherokee or a Wrangler.  You can't buy the aborted fetus of that unholy marriage and expect to like it.

Just my $.02

Just to clarify, this isn't my car, it's my girlfriends.

I wouldn't be caught dead in a Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge.  

I own a Toyota with 90,000 miles and it idles better then her Jeep and better then my Chrysler that I had to sell with only 15,000 miles on it.

Edit- 15,000 miles not 15,00.  Sorry, I have to type fast because I'm at work and my boss sits less then 20 feet away!

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:18:31 AM EDT
[#6]
If she's got tire sensors, try resetting them. You'll have to get the doughnut-shaped magnet out of the back (probably) and run a sequence that's in the manual.

My wife's had two Liberty models, sport and Limited, and we've really enjoyed them both.

Only bummer about our current one is, the overhead console constantly switches to Metric No idea why it does that. We had it in to the dealer once for other stuff and they said they fixed it ... Still happens.

In all, we're happy with our purchase. Just rolled over 24k on it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:18:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They're made in Toledo.

Meh. Same difference.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Take her to the stealership and trade that POS in.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:20:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

"Jeep" is a DCX brand; DCX is owned by...MERCEDES BENZ
Last time I checked, "Dr. Z" didn't work in Detroit.

upgrade to a Toyota, heh. More like upgrade to a REAL American vehicle, like a Chevy.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I haven't liked any jeeps since they stopped making the Regular Cherokee.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:21:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
My wife's had two Liberty models, sport and Limited, and we've really enjoyed them both.

Say it ain't so.  Take the one you have now out into the pasture and shoot it.  

It's for the children.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:26:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Honestly what is the point of you guys just bagging on certain vehicles? Not everyone wants a 12" lift mudder with a High Lift Jack for their wife to drive around.

Does it make you feel cool?
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:27:39 AM EDT
[#13]
BTW if they'd only had the 4 door Wrangler Unlimited when we were looking, we'd have looked at that. As it stands, I can't fit in the regular Wrangler.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:31:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm surprised.  I've only heard good things from folks that own them. I was thinking of looking into the diesel versions myself  for a commuter car.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:32:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Honestly what is the point of you guys just bagging on certain vehicles? Not everyone wants a 12" lift mudder with a High Lift Jack for their wife to drive around.

No it doesn't make me feel cool.  I just like to give Liberty owners hell.  No need to take it to heart.  

Besides, who cares what some random Wrangler owner says about their choice of vehicle on the interweb?  
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:33:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'm surprised.  I've only heard good things from folks that own them. I was thinking of looking into the diesel versions myself  for a commuter car.

The Wrangler guys are the big ones that hate the Liberty.

My wife's is solid. Easily the best vehicle I've driven in the snow, to include 4x4 pickup trucks with plenty of sand in the bed.

Of course I see you're in Texas so you probably won't have to worry  about that!
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:34:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No it doesn't make me feel cool.  I just like to give Liberty owners hell.  No need to take it to heart.  

Besides, who cares what some random Wrangler owner says about their choice of vehicle on the interweb?  

Then why say it?
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:35:18 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then why say it?

Because I find humor in it.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:36:15 AM EDT
[#19]
My wife drives a 2002 model Jeep Liberty Renegade that has been trouble free since she got it new. The fuel mileage is terrible, but the only thing I have had to do is change fluids, new battery 2 months ago, and buy 2 new tires (because she hit a curb). It still runs, looks, and smells new.

My wife's is solid. Easily the best vehicle I've driven in the snow, to include 4x4 pickup trucks with plenty of sand in the bed

+1
Another nice thing is you can park anywhere (not so with my truck) and it will do a U-turn on a 2 lane road. I have only seen snow two times since having the liberty, but it drove great in the snow.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:37:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
My partner has one.  Its a POS.  Been to the dealer already several times. Never stranded her though.

Sounds like what GM had with their trucks. Piston slap and they will deny it until they are facing a lawsuit.  I am not saying that the Liberty engine has it but I wouldnt doubt they have problems and the company is not saying anything.

I thought she drove a Prius?
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:40:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I'd like to state for the record that we also hate the Compass and the Patriot.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:42:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Mrs. Shadow has an 06 CRD Limited.
Been a good Jeepy so far.
BTW: There will be no diesel Liberties for 07.
And good luck finding a used one.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:44:12 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd like to state for the record that we also hate the Compass and the Patriot.  

You'll get no argument from me there.

And the Commander needs WAY bigger tires for me to think it was cool!
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:47:06 AM EDT
[#24]
My Neighbor has a Liberty Diesel. It only has 18,000 miles on it and he is on the second transmission. I think it has been in the shop over 3 times in less then the year he has owned it.

The Diesel engine is great with lots of power, but the transmissions seem to have serious problems from what I have seen. His new transmission only has about a 1000 miles on it and it is already starting to act up.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:47:19 AM EDT
[#25]
I was on the fence with that one when it came out.  I saw pics of a few with bigger tires and it started to look good.  I wouldn't buy one though.  I wouldn't want to get something that expensive dirty.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:47:22 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
BTW if they'd only had the 4 door Wrangler Unlimited when we were looking, we'd have looked at that. As it stands, I can't fit in the regular Wrangler.

Too many donuts?  
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:48:29 AM EDT
[#27]
75,000 trouble-free miles on my 2002 Liberty. A u-joint went this summer, but was covered by warranty. It is only about 80% as capable offroad as a Wrangler, but shines in most other areas.

As to the idle. I would say mine is not as smooth as many vehicles, but I don't know that I'd go so far as to call it rough. Go back to the dealership and pretend to shop for a used Liberty and check out onew of the others on their own lot. The salesman won't know you, but if the one you check out is smoother, you can go to the service manager and point to it to back up your claim of "they do NOT all do that".
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:49:02 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Too many donuts?  

No, my knees kept smashing the dashboard, funny boy.

Being 6'4" and 235lbs means lots of stuff doesn't fit me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:50:10 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Too many donuts?  

I was wondering myself how one can't fit in a Wrangler.  I'm 6-2/240 and have planty of room.  Great leg room in that thing.  You wouldn't expect it from looking at the outside, but it's a comfortable fit.

I just wouldn't be comfortable in the backseat....but I took that out the first day anyway.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:52:03 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Too many donuts?  

There is a kit available that allows you to mount the front seats a few inches further back.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:02:14 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Just my $.02

I belive your avatar shows a Wrangler?

If so - take that POS out to the pasture and shoot it. Go buy a REAL Jeep.

Mine at the local show:

A Wrangler driver thinking he owns a "real" Jeep.... You people crack me up.

Av.

Edit: Hell my M38A1 that I'm working on is a real Jeep.

Read the sig line
|
|
|
|
V
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:04:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Owned 4 Jeeps in my life, liked them all, but they all nickle-dimed me and weren't ever on the level of my Toyota or Nissan trucks as far as dependability.

Sorry, that's the way it was. Won't own another....just too much went wrong with them, and they're priced too damn high for what they are IMHO.

Besides, Toledo Ohio. Ever been there? If you had, you wouldn't buy another thing made there. Ick.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:06:43 AM EDT
[#33]
With my 1999 Jeep the engine started "missing" and the check engine light came on at about 30K.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:07:38 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Too many donuts?  

There is a kit available that allows you to mount the front seats a few inches further back.  

I mentioned that to the wife when we were looking at them. She said the road noise and the idea that it didn't fit me right off the bat were enough to kill it for her. We looked at the Liberty (and then the RAV4 - Thank God we didn't get that little crapbox...) and I fit in it. The dealership had a buttload of them on the premises so I called an amazing deal. The rest is history.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:08:25 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
snip

V

Avalon: What does a beautiful restored Jeep like that go for? I have always wondered.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:11:42 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I belive your avatar shows a Wrangler?

If so - take that POS out to the pasture and shoot it. Go buy a REAL Jeep.

A Wrangler driver thinking he owns a "real" Jeep.... You people crack me up.

Yes it does show a Wrangler!

Great jeep you have there.  Believe me, when time and money become available I will have an old mil jeep.  I have checked out your post about it btw.  I'm glad that the old beast found a good home.

As for my Jeep not being real....I think of it more as the grandson of the original mil models.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:12:04 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Too many donuts?  

I was wondering myself how one can't fit in a Wrangler.  I'm 6-2/240 and have planty of room.  Great leg room in that thing.  You wouldn't expect it from looking at the outside, but it's a comfortable fit.

I just wouldn't be comfortable in the backseat....but I took that out the first day anyway.  

I have a couple extra pounds on me but there's a pic of me in my hockey gear in my profile... I'm not fat, I'm just big boned

You may be "layed out" different than I am; I'm fairly evenly proportioned. My father-in-law is 6'3" but has way shorter legs than me. His torso is a lot longer. You may be similar. *shrug*

Bottom line, I got in the Wrangler and didn't fit. Got in the Liberty and fit.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:12:13 AM EDT
[#38]
We were looking at a Grand Cherokee and decided against it after seeing the reliability reports.  And the crash ratings.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:13:13 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
We were looking at a Grand Cherokee and decided against it after seeing the reliability reports.  And the crash ratings.  

And the way they look now.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:13:20 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
snip

V

Avalon: What does a beautiful restored Jeep like that go for? I have always wondered.

Thanks.

A couple grand can get you one that runs.  Around here anyway.  The big money comes in bringing it back to it's old glory.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:15:35 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This was a few years ago, I might add.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:17:56 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This was a few years ago, I might add.

Ah. I liked those models!

My dad has one and it's been reliable. Well, reliable until he smashed it up...
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:17:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Btw Avalon...

When are you going to buy a m2 to mount on the back of that thing?
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
snip

V

Thanks.

The frame-off restoration I did on the WW2 Jeep above is insured for $18K.

The M38A1 resto - not a frame off - should be worth $8K or so. A frame off would bring it closer to $10K.

Av.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:25:47 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Btw Avalon...

When are you going to buy a m2 to mount on the back of that thing?

I get asked that all the time - my answer: NEVER!

The M38A1 was a radio Jeep, and the WW2 Jeep I have a mount was not correct for it.

Av.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:26:10 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Welcome to the high quality vehicles being produced in Detroit. My solution to problems such as yours was to upgrade to a Toyota.

WORD, my brotha!

Unfortunately Toyota 4 runners don't come in basic 4X4 models.  You have to buy a fucking luxory package to get one.

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:27:46 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
snip

V

Thanks.

The frame-off restoration I did on the WW2 Jeep above is insured for $18K.

The M38A1 resto - not a frame off - should be worth $8K or so. A frame off would bring it closer to $10K.

Av.

Nice, thanks!
jim
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:32:19 AM EDT
[#48]
So no fidy cal eh?

How about dropping a 350 in there?  

My Grandfather bought a beach house years ago and it came with a mil jeep in the garage.  It had been modified into a beach jeep.  Shitty paint job, home-made body lift, etc.  It was horrible.

He is retired mil and took a shot at restoring it.  Apparently it was beyond help.  I was only 14 or so at the time, but even then I couldn't understand how someone could do that to a jeep.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 11:27:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Try using Mobile 1 or Mobile 1 7500 extended oils. The 3.7l and 4.7l engines seem to really like Mobile 1 or other high quality synthetics. The Jeep Liberty is Chrysler's most reliable vehicle with the PT Cruiser a close second. That being said, it is still a Chrysler which only translates to the middle of the pack reliability ratings when compared to other auto makers. The tires that Jeep puts on their SUV's usually are bottom of the barrel, try Bridgestone REVO ATs or BFGoodrich ATs. You could always go a couple lbs over what you see in the door jam too.

You can test to see if there are any engine trouble codes - Turn the key to the accessory position then off then accessory then off then accessory... (Basically, three cycles of accessory/off, ending up in the accessory position.)  On the third time if there is an error code it will show up in the odometer. Here is the Jeep error code list. www.getahelmet.com/jeeps/tech/codes/
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#50]
My sister got a Liberty and has had a few problems since they got it although Im having a hard time remembering exactly what.  

I will never buy domestic/dr z crap/ anything other than nissan or toyota
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top