Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/26/2006 12:15:56 PM EDT
Our son is in ROTC.

First week we take his shirt and pants to the dry cleaners and get charged 8 bucks.

The next week we get charged 14 bucks.

When we ask about the difference, the clerk says the first week we were charged as shirt and pants.  The second week that clerk charged as a "uniform".

Am I wrong in thinking that military types are being overcharged?
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Find out what they charge postal workers, car mechanics, etc...anyone else who wears a uniform.

But..yes. I'd say they're overcharging.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Are they doing something different to it? Extra attention to creases or?

Or do you need to find another cleaner?
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 12:18:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Thats usual and its because they dont handle uniforms they are taking extra care and thats why they charge you more.

My dad owned a string of dry cleaners and we charged 20% less then normal even though it took more work.

It never hurt to have uniformed LEOs in you shops all the time.

Not to mentio they took care of you too.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 12:20:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Creases and starch will cost you more. Also if it is wool or something out of the ordinary.

You cant just press it like a dress shirt or dress pants.

Many times my dad had to fix patches and broken buttons as well.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 12:20:30 PM EDT
[#5]
This week, for 8 bucks, their cleaning and providing "military creases".

I just think they should be showing more respect and appreciation toward service personnel.

Rant complete.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#6]
$14!  Man, that would suck if I had to pay $14 every time I had to get my uniforms pressed.  I only pay about $7.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Is your son near a USMC base? I know that ever since they went to Marpat, which is a permanent press uniform requiring no dry cleaning, the dry cleaners in the area are hurting. Its not an excuse for the outrageous fees, but it might be a way of recouping their losses. Curious if the Army's ACU is also perm press.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 12:40:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
This week, for 8 bucks, their cleaning and providing "military creases".

I just think they should be showing more respect and appreciation toward service personnel.

Rant complete.

No one said you had to go to that cleaner.  Again they might not be used to handling uniforms and thus want to charge more.  

Military creases do take more work.

Some places charge more some dont.   Some actually will give discounts.

Your choices are change cleaners or do it yourself.  I am willing to bet you will get another cleaner.  There are thousands in any given town.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 12:42:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Uniforms are more of a  hassle, doubt it is bias.  Tailors, dry cleaners, and laundromats around Barksdale AFB here thrive because of the base.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#10]
A can of starch costs 2 bucks

I think since Ive been in the mil Ive had my uniforms pressed 2-3 times total. I always did it myself since I did a better job.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 12:48:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow.
I know more drycleaners who give uniformed fireman & police a discount.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 1:03:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
A can of start costs 2 bucks

Somehow I don't think military uniforms have carburetors.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 1:04:16 PM EDT
[#13]
8 dollars.

Then 14 dollars.

At least be consistant.

It's a student ROTC shirt and pants.

I'm not complaining about being able to pay for it, I'm ranting about inconsistant pricing and the fact that it costs more when considered a "military uniform".  We have no military bases nearby, so there is no competition for that business.

The fact is, they said that if we tell them "shirt and pants, with military creases" its 8 dollars.  If we say "military uniform" (or don't say anything) it is 14 dollars, again it is a shirt and pants.  In keeping with the respect for the ROTC, we go to the cleaners so he looks sharp as a representative of the USA.

I guess if there we were closer to a base, the cleaner would be more appreciative of the military for both business and freedom.

I continue to build respect for service personnel, as civilians such as I really have no idea of thier world.

ARDOC -> please exit, and stay out of my topics.  You're blatant disrespect for my wife and I leave us with no respect for you.  Your after the fact apologies serve little to heal the pain you intentionally inflict with your lack of anger management.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 1:11:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

ARDOC -> please exit, and stay out of my topics.  You're blatant disrespect for my wife and I leave us with no respect for you.  Your after the fact apologies serve little to heal the pain you intentionally inflict with your lack of anger management.

Huh?

I musta' missed something.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A can of start costs 2 bucks

Somehow I don't think military uniforms have carburetors.

I guess you didnt get that memo...
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 1:16:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The fact is, they said that if we tell them "shirt and pants, with military creases" its 8 dollars.  If we say "military uniform" (or don't say anything) it is 14 dollars, again it is a shirt and pants.  In keeping with the respect for the ROTC, we go to the cleaners so he looks sharp as a representative of the USA.

I always took pride in shining my own boots and pressing my own uniforms and it looks better than having someone else do it.

I guess its sorta like the people who dropped their boots off to be shined and their uniforms pressed. Also the people who buy the pre-shaped berets...
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 1:16:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh?

I musta' missed something.

You read correctly, however that is a message for a specific recipient who knows exactly who he is.  Enough with the "free ARDOC" crap, he's right here among us.  He will now disappear from this topic like "a fart in the wind".
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 1:20:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Maybe, but I think its probably because uniforms require more attention and better creases than standard civilian dress clothing.

BTW, ROTC is not yet fully part of the US Military until they pin on the bars.

EDIT:  So who is it, Belmont or Pepe?
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 1:40:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Maybe, but I think its probably because uniforms require more attention and better creases than standard civilian dress clothing.

BTW, ROTC is not yet fully part of the US Military until they pin on the bars.

Pep

Correct, he is in the "Junior" ROTC program.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 1:48:10 PM EDT
[#20]
He might as well become familiar with an ironing board.  Remember that starch is for REMFs (it accelerated wear of the ripstop BDUs, and made them too shiny.  I'm not sure about it's effect on other uniforms).  I can get a great crease with just an iron and plenty of steam.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 1:58:45 PM EDT
[#21]
As a cadet at Texas A&M (woe these many years ago) the military creases cost more.  Three decades later I can't tell you how much more.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#22]
It sucks that they dont appreciate his service, but thats their choice.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 2:10:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Is your son near a USMC base? I know that ever since they went to Marpat, which is a permanent press uniform requiring no dry cleaning, the dry cleaners in the area are hurting. Its not an excuse for the outrageous fees, but it might be a way of recouping their losses. Curious if the Army's ACU is also perm press.

The ACU is 'wash & wear (wrinkled)'...

Class A's and Blues still need the cleaners, however it's alot less business than the old way...
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 2:14:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

The ACUs are perm press, the new AF uniform (ABU) will be too, that's about the only actual improvement we are making.    I usually do it myself anyway, but it will definitely save me some time behind the ironing board each week.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 2:35:18 PM EDT
[#25]
That sounds pretty high.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

We now get to pick and choose who posts in our threads?

I didn't know that.   But I do have a list.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 2:53:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Im now interested in this thread.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 2:57:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Hmmm, my cleaners gives a 50% discount for military/leo.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 2:58:48 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Im now interested in this thread.

me too
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 3:04:04 PM EDT
[#30]
That's ridiculous.  Summer BDU's with extra heavy starch (the "stand them in the corner" kind of extra heavy  Is 4$.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Makes sense to me.

I'm assuming this isn't any sort of cammie/BDU/utility uniform, but more of a Service C (slacks an button up shirt) type of uniform, so correct me if I'm wrong.

My military shirts required 2 creases in front and 3 in the back, that requires more work than the average civilian shirt, so the extra cost makes sense there.

Not sure why the trousers are being priced differently.  Did you ask the dry cleaner why there was a difference?
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 3:46:28 PM EDT
[#32]
My Dad ran a chain of Dry Cleaners and they use to charge more for uniforms, but no where near twice the 'civilian' cost. Most civilian clothes can be pressed on automatic machines, but uniforms were always done by hand, thus the extra cost. Granted, this was 20 yrs ago, but the industry hasn't changed that much.

When he started getting involved in some activities at the local Naval Reserve Station (plus being Ex-Navy himself) and got to know some of the station keepers, they started to get their uniforms done for free. He even had the station keepers come in and show the 'girls' on the presses how to get the seams and creases right. The 'girls' had no idea that navy whites and blues had to be turned inside out before pressing them and no creases, except for the 3 on the back of the jumper. Once word got out that they knew how to press Navy Uniforms, business jumped. They even started to pick up and deliver uniforms at the NAS 30 miles away. The owner thought they were making a fortune because of the number of uniforms coming in, little did he know that they never got charged.

Once the local recruiter's found out, they wanted in on the deal too, so he ended up doing Army and AF uniforms too, but he would give them a brutally difficult time (all in jest). He didn't get much stuff from Marines though. He said it was probably too confusing for them and they kept getting lost trying to find the store.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes you can choose some, especially banned ones since they are stuck with not being able to respond as doing so would expose thier new troll account established within days of being perma-banned.

Like I said, gone like a fart in the wind.  He's not about to post and say "I am not ARDOC" since that would be hypocritical and against his oath as a doctor.

Payback is a bitch sometimes, all he has to do is stay clear of me and he can continue on peacefully.  Many here know exactly who I'm speaking of.  I would rather know who's really who here so I don't push the issue until his stink pops up in my threads.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes you can choose some, especially banned ones since they are stuck with not being able to respond as doing so would expose thier new troll account established within days of being perma-banned.

Like I said, gone like a fart in the wind.  He's not about to post and say "I am not ARDOC" since that would be hypocritical and against his oath as a doctor.

Payback is a bitch sometimes, all he has to do is stay clear of me and he can continue on peacefully.  Many here know exactly who I'm speaking of.  I would rather know who's really who here so I don't push the issue until his stink pops up in my threads.

I'm sure it's not breaking news to many that ARDOC may still be posting here. If the owners of the site don't have a problem with it, neither do I.  (Personally, I don't think he should have been banned in the first place, but I don't own or run the site).

I do have to observe that since you often make a point out of deliberately drawing attention to your (and your wife's) "hedonistic" lifestyle, it seems a bit hypocritial to get all dramatic if that attention results in someone "offending" you over it.

I'm not really taking a side here, and this isn't intended to attack you (sorry if it seems that way) - I'm just observing that I think your behavior is a little over-dramatic, that's all.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sure it's not breaking news to many that ARDOC may still be posting here. If the owners of the site don't have a problem with it, neither do I.  (Personally, I don't think he should have been banned in the first place, but I don't own or run the site).

I do have to observe that since you often make a point out of deliberately drawing attention to your (and your wife's) "hedonistic" lifestyle, it seems a bit hypocritial to get all dramatic if that attention results in someone "offending" you over it.

I'm not really taking a side here, and this isn't intended to attack you (sorry if it seems that way) - I'm just observing that I think your behavior is a little over-dramatic, that's all.

No offense taken.  Our bringing some info to members here long ago regarding some hedonistic lifestyle issues has only been an issue with one, now former but still active member.  If I were to call people (and thier wives) names, I'd be considered an asshole - but you guys just worship him don't you?  I treat people here with respect.  All except for the man who has cussed us out, then apologizes for once again crossing the line like this example.  His behavior is what caused HIM to be banned not I.  You condone his behavior, and I for one do not appreciate that.

Regarding our Hedonistic lifestyle - for all who are SO interested it has been extremely boring as we have chilled quite long ago in that regard.  Our intentions were always to provide some education and another point of view since we have been around many and most of those make us look like Quakers.  Go ahead and hate us for vacationing at Hedonism II 26 times, that would be expected.

Cheap shots is really what it boils down to, but he just couldn't resist taking one last cheap shot in this topic: ARDOC exposes his new troll identity.

Just remember, this topic is a perfect example, there is no mention of any Hedonistic lifestyle until you brought it up.  It seems to be a mental obstacle that when Hedonist makes a post, your dirty minds first think the worst, rather than giving us an even chance.  The other two topics linked above are the same way - no mention of Hedonistic happenings but you have this mental picture you can't seem to overcome.  In those topics, the "DOC" just can't keep his finger off the trigger and he then has another AD.  His AD's are why his real name is banned, and he has to troll under a different identity.  I'm not the only one he has punished, I'm just the one who has no fear of him and would certainly enjoy personally meeting him.

Thank you for reinforceing the fact that he indeed is here.  He seems to have cooled it with most of his past enemies, but he still cannot resist taking cheap shots with me, and refer to the two linked posts above for confirmation.  I didn't stir the shit, but I'm not going to reward him with my silence.  ARDOC's lifestyle involves a power trip where he gets off abusing people, it is a pity as he does have intelligence and has some good info to offer us - but at what price?
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No offense taken.  Our bringing some info to members here long ago regarding some hedonistic lifestyle issues has only been an issue with one, now former but still active member.  If I were to call people (and thier wives) names, I'd be considered an asshole - but you guys just worship him don't you?   I treat people here with respect.  All except for the man who has cussed us out, then apologizes for once again crossing the line like this example.  His behavior is what caused HIM to be banned not I.  You condone his behavior, and I for one do not appreciate that.

Defensive much?

I mention that I personally don't think he should have been banned, and now suddenly I worship him?

I find it somewhat amusing that you over-reacted to my observation about how you might possible be over-reacting.  

Regarding our Hedonistic lifestyle - for all who are SO interested it has been extremely boring as we have chilled quite long ago in that regard.  Our intentions were always to provide some education and another point of view since we have been around many and most of those make us look like Quakers.  Go ahead and hate us for vacationing at Hedonism II 26 times, that would be expected.

Now suddenly I "hate" you (and apparently your wife) because of where you vacation?

I don't even know what or where "Hedonism II" is - or why you felt compelled to mention that you've been there 26 times.

I only even heard of "Hedonism" as some kind of resort because you've repeatedly brought it up on this board.  Only recently, you drew attention to yourself by asking everyone's opinion about you new avatar - which you felt compelled to explain was a picture of you and your wife at some resort.  

Again - extreme defensiveness and over-reaction on your part.

I really, really couldn't give a rats ass about where you vacation, and what you do while you are there.  I don't know HOW in the world you have gotten the impression that I give a shit.

I was simply making the observation that since you CHOSE (in the past) to draw attention to yourself (including your wife) in ways that you undoubtedly knew would be provocative on a board heavily populated by conservatives, then it is a little disingenous to get offended when people respond.

How in the world you've gotten the impression that I am one of those people who would be offended is wholly beyond me - but speaks to how defensive (and slightly paranoid) you are.

Cheap shots is really what it boils down to, but he just couldn't resist taking one last cheap shot in this topic: ARDOC exposes his new troll identity.

Just remember, this topic is a perfect example, there is no mention of any Hedonistic lifestyle until you brought it up.  It seems to be a mental obstacle that when Hedonist makes a post, your dirty minds first think the worst, rather than giving us an even chance.  The other two topics linked above are the same way - no mention of Hedonistic happenings but you have this mental picture you can't seem to overcome.  In those topics, the "DOC" just can't keep his finger off the trigger and he then has another AD.  His AD's are why his real name is banned, and he has to troll under a different identity.  I'm not the only one he has punished, I'm just the one who has no fear of him and would certainly enjoy personally meeting him.

Good Lord, man.  Are you completely insane?  

You are incredibly defensive and over-sensitive about this stuff, and seem to have all kinds of bizarre assumptions about other people.

This only reinforces the fact that you are waaaaay over-reacting.

Thank you for reinforceing the fact that he indeed is here.  He seems to have cooled it with most of his past enemies, but he still cannot resist taking cheap shots with me, and refer to the two linked posts above for confirmation.  I didn't stir the shit, but I'm not going to reward him with my silence.  ARDOC's lifestyle involves a power trip where he gets off abusing people, it is a pity as he does have intelligence and has some good info to offer us - but at what price?

You didn't stir shit in THIS thread?

You attacked another member completely out of the blue, and because of something that was said in a different thread - and you claim that you didn't start any shit?  
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:36:59 PM EDT
[#37]
What the heck just happened?  The drama sewer back up?
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:41:02 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Apparently.

I also learned that I worship ARDOC, and I it turns out I have a rabid puritanical hatred of people that vacation at a place called "Hedonism II."  I also have a dirty mind.  

I'm officially done with this thread, because "Hedonist" has apparently lost his mind.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:41:35 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I think since Ive been in the mil Ive had my uniforms pressed 2-3 times total. I always did it myself since I did a better job.

Word. Sta-Flo, an iron and an ironing board is teh r33tness.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Oh, the drama of dry cleaning...

Forgive and forget. Life goes on. There are 7 billion people in the world and only 80 years to live.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:42:35 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Yup, see what happens when I go to the dry cleaner?

I'm overly dramatic, no you're overly dramatic - meanwhile some people can trash members wives and are worshipped as gods.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:43:45 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Word. Sta-Flo, an iron and an ironing board is teh r33tness.

And a trip to the "5-dollar haircut, laundry, and massage parlor" place is a far better way to spend my free time..  
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:45:28 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, see what happens when I go to the dry cleaner?

I'm overly dramatic, no you're overly dramatic - meanwhile some people can trash members wives and are worshipped as gods.

He's right.  You HAVE turned right from the center lane.  this thread is about LAUNDRY.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Sounds to me like it's time to find a new dry cleaner.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:51:34 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
8 dollars.

Then 14 dollars.

At least be consistant.

I'm not complaining about being able to pay for it, I'm ranting about inconsistant pricing and the fact that it costs more when considered a "military uniform".  We have no military bases nearby, so there is no competition for that business.

I guess if there we were closer to a base, the cleaner would be more appreciative of the military for both business and freedom.

So this is an "ROTC shirt" and a pair of pants?  If it's not Class B's or BDU's, it's not a uniform.  Quit calling it one and save 6 bucks.  Better yet, buy a can of starch and teach junior how to iron a shirt.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently.

I also learned that I worship ARDOC, and I it turns out I have a rabid puritanical hatred of people that vacation at a place called "Hedonism II."  I also have a dirty mind.

I'm very dissappointed to learn about all these new revelations about you, DK-Prof.  

<----------Exits stage left. ()
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#47]
I stand by my posts, and the links that back up my position.

I know there are a few ARDOC apologists out here, so I'm not surprised by some of replies.  They all start with "Personally, I don't think he should have been banned in the first place, but I don't own or run the site".  Nope, you don't run this site, and becoming banned has its privledges.  Returning from the dead to taunt previous adversaries is not acceptable.

It is quite simple:
don't bash members
don't bash members wives
don't get banned

This topic was pushed off track when a troll who has called me a "turd" and a essentially a "rapist" posted in this topic knowing doing so would elicit a response from me.  So therefore, "I" am stirring up shit - I don't thnk so - but then again you may not have read the previous topics where I was thrown some cheap shots and now some ARDOC apologists expect me to just turn the other cheek.  The issue here is, that I've run out of cheeks.  Excuse me for having real balls.

Have a nice evening everyone.  

Good night ARDOC.  Go bully someone else who wants to be a victim.  I refuse.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:22:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Better than a daytime soap.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#50]
This thread is now about cheese.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top