Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2006 2:30:37 PM EDT
I just read the thread from Florida where they're getting ready to send some POS on to Hell.

So I'm wondering . . . how did this idiocy begin? It sure didn't come over from the Old World. It must have started here?

Anyone know?
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 2:36:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the "Last Meal" did come from midevil Europe. Victorian times after King Richard's brutality. But I'm not sure, Tomislav will be along shortly to clear this up.

The first (or really last) "smoke" came from a military execution in Virginia I think.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 2:41:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I think the "Last Meal" did come from midevil Europe. Victorian times after King Richard's brutality. But I'm not sure, Tomislav will be along shortly to clear this up.

The first (or really last) "smoke" came from a military execution in Virginia I think.

Man, that's something (if true) were such gentlemen here.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#3]
You're sending a man to death. I know a lot of people seem to love the idea of methods that involve massive pain for the executed (a recent thread had people mentioning things like det-cord mummification, strapping them under a rocket engine, or slowly turning up the voltage in an electric chair), but I think that really, you're sending them to death. That's about as bad as one can rightly make it before it becomes as evil an act as the original crime, and easing them a bit with a painless execution and a good meal is surely not too much to ask.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 2:50:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think the "Last Meal" did come from mid evil Europe. Victorian times after King Richard's brutality. But I'm not sure, Tomislav will be along shortly to clear this up.

Man, that's something (if true) were such gentlemen here.

Thanks!

Here's an interesting link: A Man's last meal

As far as the last "smoke" I do believe it happened in Virginia. A solider was caught going the other way (Treason), circa 1779. Firing squad in the mid 1780's. I might be wrong, but Tomislav is a good political buff...he'll be around soon.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Human Rights Activist start it. Just like we cant use OLD SPARKY anymore . There was Amensity International there today saying no to DEATH. HAHA.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 2:52:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
...That's about as bad as one can rightly make it before it becomes as evil an act as the original crime, and easing them a bit with a painless execution and a good meal is surely not too much to ask.

You're right. Someone who murders someone via prolonged torture, rape, and dismemberment deserves a quick and painless death.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 2:52:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By MagKnightX you're sending them to death. That's about as bad as one can rightly make it before it becomes as evil an act as the original crime, and easing them a bit with a painless execution and a good meal is surely not too much to ask.

Would have been nice if they had extended that same courtesy to their victims.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 2:53:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...That's about as bad as one can rightly make it before it becomes as evil an act as the original crime, and easing them a bit with a painless execution and a good meal is surely not too much to ask.

You're right. Someone who murders someone via prolonged torture, rape, and dismemberment deserves a quick and painless death.

+1
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 2:54:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
That's about as bad as one can rightly make it before it becomes as evil an act as the original crime, and easing them a bit with a painless execution and a good meal is surely not too much to ask.

I'm sure the victims got a nice last meal before they were brutally raped and throat slit then mutilated, chopped up in pieces and fed thru a mulcher FARGO style.

I think the Chinese have the right idea as far as treating criminals.  Appeal ends, truck them away to a field, blindfold and shoot to death.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Roger Dale Stafford, convicted of killing 6 Sirloin Stockade employees execution style in a walk-in freezer and also convicted of 3 more murders for a grand total of 9. His last-meal request was for 6 foot-long chili dogs with cheese, two chocolate milk shakes and fries.

He had openly stated his intent to defecate all over himself when he was executed so as to make as big a mess as possible for the prison to have to clean up.

Though he maintained his innocence to his death, the prosecutor who put him away received a "Sirloin Stockade" gift certificate by mail just a few days after Stafford's death. The certificate had been mailed, obviously, on the day he was executed and was probably sent by confederate of Stafford at Stafford's request since all of his prison mail would have been pre-screened. The gift certificate was tantamount to a confession, if not downright bragging about the crime.

Stafford committed the murders when I was a teenager, he was not executed until I was an old man. May he fry in hell for all eternity.

Link Posted: 10/25/2006 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm just pulling this out of my ass, but it occurs to me the last meal might be less for the condemned, and more for the institution that is throwing the lever.
As if to say "yes, we are going to kill you, but see! we're not so bad, because we
are setting you up with a meal of your choice!".
Just a fart in the wind......
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So we should lower ourselves to the levels of murderers and rapists? That doesn't sound like civilization to me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 3:14:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Roger Dale Stafford, convicted of killing 6 Sirloin Stockade employees execution style in a walk-in freezer and also convicted of 3 more murders for a grand total of 9. His last-meal request was for 6 foot-long chili dogs with cheese, two chocolate milk shakes and fries.

He had openly stated his intent to defecate all over himself when he was executed so as to make as big a mess as possible for the prison to have to clean up.

Though he maintained his innocence to his death, the prosecutor who put him away received a "Sirloin Stockade" gift certificate by mail just a few days after Stafford's death. The certificate had been mailed, obviously, on the day he was executed and was probably sent by confederate of Stafford at Stafford's request since all of his prison mail would have been pre-screened. The gift certificate was tantamount to a confession, if not downright bragging about the crime.

Stafford committed the murders when I was a teenager, he was not executed until I was an old man. May he fry in hell for all eternity.

I'm curious . . . what year did he commit the crimes and what year did he get sent to Hell?
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm just pulling this out of my ass, but it occurs to me the last meal might be less for the condemned, and more for the institution that is throwing the lever.
As if to say "yes, we are going to kill you, but see! we're not so bad, because we
Just a fart in the wind......

The practice is rooted in Religion. It's a way for the Executioner to show that he's not playing God. It's very old, an not easily understood in today's times. Sending a man's soul to Hell is a thing of humility--not just vengeance. It's much more than that.

The phrase, "There's a dead man walking" started in a Georgia prison, in the early 1800's. It was a phrase barked by the Warden as a signal for every man on the yard to uncover his head and stand at attention. It meant, "he's already going to hell, show some respect for the Lord's fallen/farrow child".

I'm as (or more) pro execution as anyone, but there's a huge difference between us and the savages. Hell, I'll even pull the switch. It's a way to not start playing "The Creator"--very old traditions.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 3:25:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You're sending a man to death. I know a lot of people seem to love the idea of methods that involve massive pain for the executed (a recent thread had people mentioning things like det-cord mummification, strapping them under a rocket engine, or slowly turning up the voltage in an electric chair), but I think that really, you're sending them to death. That's about as bad as one can rightly make it before it becomes as evil an act as the original crime, and easing them a bit with a painless execution and a good meal is surely not too much to ask.

YIKES!

You're gonna get so burned for this one! Get out you nomex!

Link Posted: 10/25/2006 3:27:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

So we should lower ourselves to the levels of murderers and rapists? That doesn't sound like civilization to me.

Honestly, I don't consider what we have a 'civilization'. If everyone could go anywhere they wanted w/o fear of assault, no fear of gov't, no poor and no hungry...then we would be civilized. Until that time, make them hurt a little because I don't believe in Hell.

Just my 2 cents.

Link Posted: 10/25/2006 3:37:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Honestly, I don't consider what we have a 'civilization'. If everyone could go anywhere they wanted w/o fear of assault, no fear of gov't, no poor and no hungry...then we would be civilized. Until that time, make them hurt a little because I don't believe in Hell.

Just my 2 cents.

That is a real good two cents too!

I was talking to a guy in Buffalo NY once, about liberty, freedom, etc. I mentioned "a free country" and he jumped all over me, sayuing: "If this is such a free country, then why can't I walk where I want and when I want?"

Something to think about....
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#18]
last meal? give em prison chow and a diaper to wear. id like to know how extravagant these last meals get and who pays for them
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 3:43:18 PM EDT
[#19]
This is what wiki says:

Although the history of the tradition of giving a prisoner condemned to capital punishment a last meal is difficult to assess, most modern governments which execute prisoners subscribe to it.

The ancient Greeks, Egyptians, and Romans all had a tradition of giving the condemned man a final meal. The Aztecs fed their human sacrifices for up to a year before their death.

In pre-modern Europe, the ritual of granting the malefactor a last meal has its seeds in common superstition: a meal was a highly symbolic social act. Accepting food, which was offered freely, meant to make one's peace with the host - the guest agreed tacitly to take an oath of truce and symbolically abjured all vengeance. Consequentially, in accepting the last meal the condemned was believed to forgive the executioner, the judge, and the witnessing mob. The ritual was supposed to prevent the delinquent from haunting those people, who were responsible for his or her killing, as a ghost or a revenant. The meal was therefore mainly a superstitious precaution and - following that logic - the better the food and the drinks, the safer the condemned's oath of truce. Last meals were often public and all parties, which were involved in the penal process, took part.

There were some practical side effects of a peaceful last meal as well - it was crucial for the authorities that a public execution was a successful spectacle. In the eyes of the contemporaries the violated law could only be restored by mirroring the crime via retaliative penalties (see lex talionis). However, if the mob had the impression that something was wrong and the chief character of the show was reluctant to play his or her role, things could get out of hand and the malefactor's guilt was in doubt. Hence it was most important for the authorities that the condemned met his or her fate calmly. Apart from having been constantly coerced since the death sentence, the poor sinner's solemn last meal was a significant symbol for the mob that he or she finally accepted the punishment. Additionally, delinquents were often served large quantities of alcoholic beverages to soothe them and bar them from execrating the authorities while ascending the scaffold - which would have been considered a bad omen.

www.wikipedia.org
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 6:53:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I've always considered it a waste of good food.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#22]

A bag of Cheez Doodles and a can of coca-cola.

Now that's goin' out with class!
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 7:28:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't believe the POS should be tortured, but neither do I think they should be "eased" into it either.  It should be quick and done with.  Yes, their "ease" is too much to ask, and it's a waste of time in an already overly drawn out craptard fest.  Why do they need a last meal at all?  Is it somehow barbaric to put someone to death when they are hungry?  That's just retarded.  If someone's acts so exceed the possibility of restitution that they need to be removed from society permanently, then who gives a rip if they meet their Maker on an empty stomach?  Save the taxpayers the $40, save on cleanup, and get it over with.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Does he get to post a dinner pic?
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Happycynic has it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 7:34:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I would buy them a real nice meal and set it in front of them to give them something to look at while they get are getting electrocuted to death in the chair.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

An eye for an eye.

And, I can honestly say that I have never murdered anyone in cold blood. So, I guess I should warm up my throwing arm.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 12:29:09 AM EDT
[#28]
We send more bad souls to Glory than anyone. It's done with honor, respect, and humility. Say what you will, but our code of justice more closely follows the military code of justice than most nations.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 2:51:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You're sending a man to death. I know a lot of people seem to love the idea of methods that involve massive pain for the executed (a recent thread had people mentioning things like det-cord mummification, strapping them under a rocket engine, or slowly turning up the voltage in an electric chair), but I think that really, you're sending them to death. That's about as bad as one can rightly make it before it becomes as evil an act as the original crime, and easing them a bit with a painless execution and a good meal is surely not too much to ask.[/quote]

Considering what they did to get executed, yea, it is too much to ask.

The last meal should consist of surplus gov't cheese and water.

Link Posted: 10/26/2006 3:11:46 AM EDT
[#30]
I say starve them almost to death,the chop off all thier fingers.Strap them to the chair and serve them thier own fingers with BBQ sauce as an option for a last meal.

Other than that,they should be sent to death cold,tired,hungry and scared.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 3:24:47 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I say starve them almost to death,the chop off all thier fingers.Strap them to the chair and serve them thier own fingers with BBQ sauce as an option for a last meal.

Other than that,they should be sent to death cold,tired,hungry and scared.

Man you are uber strict!
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 3:33:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Interesting how we are so quick to forget the Constitution when devising punishments...

'Cruel and Unusual Punishment'...

Rocket engines, det-cord, torture? No...

Any of the present methods? Yes...

Although for the sake of economics and effectiveness, 9mm to the head (so as not to be like the chinese, do not bill his estate for the round)...
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 4:07:08 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Interesting how we are so quick to forget the Constitution when devising punishments...

Although for the sake of economics and effectiveness, 9mm to the head (so as not to be like the chinese, do not bill his estate for the round)...

Come on, you're kidding right?
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 4:16:00 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Human Rights Activist start it. Just like we cant use OLD SPARKY anymore . There was Amensity International there today saying no to DEATH. HAHA.
Now we get to use OLD SQUIRTY.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 4:19:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Why waste the food?  They aren't going to digest it.

How about a nice buffet for the audience?
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:01:48 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

]

Was that intended as humor, yes...

Do the ChiComs actually bill the deceased's survivors for the ammo used in the execution? Yes...
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:15:37 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
But I'm not sure, Tomislav will be along shortly to clear this up.

'Last meals' (in the 'lets give him something good to eat since we're gonna lob off his head' sense) have been around since the days of pre-republic Rome and Ancient Greece, at least. Some anthropologists say it has its roots in appeasing the spirit of the soon-to-be dead.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:13:13 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Could it not have been somebody was grateful to the prosecutor for sending him away?  It seems like a little bit of a leap to assume it was one meaning in particular.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

]

Was that intended as humor, yes...

Do the ChiComs actually bill the deceased's survivors for the ammo used in the execution? Yes...

Damn! Now if that ain't petty! The cheapskate little . . .  !

I also heard that when you are sentenced to death you are led right out of the court and given a skull buster. No appeals, no nothing. Is that true?
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#40]
height=8
Quoted:
I just read the thread from Florida where they're getting ready to send some POS on to Hell.

So I'm wondering . . . how did this idiocy begin? It sure didn't come over from the Old World. It must have started here?

Anyone know?

Just being human before a inhuman act.

Most prisoners dont eat what they order from my understanding.

They order it and usually send to the general population.

The dude they just executed was singing the whole time until he died.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 1:58:39 PM EDT
[#41]
dude, you look like a jackass in your picture
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#42]
it's there last request,,,,,Give'em A Sh*t Sandwich,,,,where I live theres been some AzzHoles that realley needed what they recieved you Finally get what you Deserve,,,,,you took someone elses first,C'YA
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 2:11:42 PM EDT
[#43]
painless deaths last meals and anything in that mindset has to do with "Us" being better then "Them"...but dead is dead
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 2:23:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Texas used to have an official website detailing the last meals until it was deemed not appropriate for the state to publish this info.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 2:31:18 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Best idea yet!
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
dude, you look like a jackass in your picture

I like how we all know exactly to whom you are referring, since you quoted them or at least put their name in your post.

Oh wait.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:05:38 PM EDT
[#47]
What last meal?

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Best idea yet!

+1
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:34:38 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the Chinese have the right idea as far as treating criminals.  Appeal ends, truck them away to a field, blindfold and shoot to death.

And the Chinese also execute a lot of innocent people who were beaten into confession…

Trouble with the the Chinese 'Instant Justice' systems of Judge, appeal and execution inside 15 minutes is that it's a bit 'arkward'' when someone he is supposed to have killed turns up a few weeks later or it turned out the 'convicted felon' had fallen out with the local bigwig a few days before he was arrested for his 'crime'.

ANdy
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:59:31 AM EDT
[#50]
It's a last show of decency before you send a man to death.
Much like the priest saying "May God have mercy on your soul."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top