Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2006 9:48:58 AM EDT
Deer stands are probably looked down upon  by a lot of u folk.  Somehow, the masses here probably do not understand baiting deer so you can shoot them from a semi perment structure - or at least don't see it as sporting.

For the rest of us.  This time of year, I always start thinking about how to improve the stand for next season.  So please post your favorite ultimate deer condo ideas.  Here is a good one - lots of visiblity, comfortable seating, and should be fairly warm with the windows rolled up.

Link Posted: 10/25/2006 9:50:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I like the one hole shot through the windshield.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 9:51:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Classy deer stand for a classy guy, I'm sure.

Link Posted: 10/25/2006 9:51:49 AM EDT
[#3]
There's a 1 1/2 ton truck with a lift basket for sale here, complete with camoflage paint.

I'm tempted to buy it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 9:53:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 9:54:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I can see it now...Bubba and Billy Bob are sitting in that blind with their cooler of beer mostly drank when Bubba opens the door and says, "I'll gotta piss be right baaaaaaaaa" thud.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#6]
If you have ever used a piece of childrens playground equipment as a deerstand, you might be a Redneck.
I am guilty as charged
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 9:58:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 10:00:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I've never hunted from a raised stand.  I just can't sit still that long.  I'm going to experiment with one of those nylon "pop up" ground blinds this year. I inherited the one my Father-in-law used as an ice fishing house.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Sure beats freezing your ass off on a little plastic chair, exposed to the wind 20 feet above the ground, with nowhere to set the rifle down.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 10:03:33 AM EDT
[#10]
That's somewhat similar to an IMI rock/concrete/quary company, who had a "guard tower" made up of the back half of a "short bus", that was welded onto stilts.

I came across that one day when I was younger and out "exploring". It was pretty pimpass actually. Just open the rear emergency door, and there ya go, you're in. It had a lawn chair in it, a space heater, and an old canteen.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I can see it now...Bubba and Billy Bob are sitting in that blind with their cooler of beer mostly drank when Bubba opens the door and says, "I'll gotta piss be right baaaaaaaaa" thud.

Biggest deer my aunt ever shot was after my uncle climbed down out of a blind to take a dump.  A huge Axis buck walked out into the sendero to watch him.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 10:06:25 AM EDT
[#12]
My uncle up in michigan has a propane heated blind with a toilet and landline in it.  It has one of those cast iron stove type heaters.  It is a great setup.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 10:49:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:49:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Shameless bump, but I am actually looking for some pictures/plans of some well thought out deer stands.  Seems to me that a good percentage of deer hunters (at least in Texas) build a box/tower stand at some time in their hunting lives.  Rather than reinvent the wheel (like we all are probably guilty of several times over), was hoping to learn for some other's experiances.

My last box has held up ok (standing 10 years now), but to be honest, I got into my father's old stand last weekend, and it is a better design and in better shape - and it is almost 40 years old (It is a welded stand with built in trailer, although I doubt it is could be easily be made road worthy again).

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:56:06 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
We just erected a new stand last weekend for my wife.  As we returned from bowhunting farther into the property Sun. night there were three deer right in front of her new stand.  She's pretty excited as rifle season opens Nov. 11.  

You guys have a rifle season now? I always thought it was shotgun/slug only.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:00:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:02:47 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I've never hunted from a raised stand.  I just can't sit still that long.  I'm going to experiment with one of those nylon "pop up" ground blinds this year. I inherited the one my Father-in-law used as an ice fishing house.

+1 one on the "I can't sit still that long"

I ordered one of the Double Bull ground blinds last week....
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:03:08 AM EDT
[#18]
I knew a deer hunter that carried a car door hunting with him
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:06:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
We just erected a new stand last weekend for my wife.  As we returned from bowhunting farther into the property Sun. night there were three deer right in front of her new stand.  She's pretty excited as rifle season opens Nov. 11.  

You guys have a rifle season now? I always thought it was shotgun/slug only.

I thought the same thing
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:07:37 AM EDT
[#20]
I use my truck as a blind when shooting prairie dogs all the time. Walking humans will drive them into their holes but they don't worry about vehicles.

I have seen deer react the same way.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:08:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:18:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I saw one up in Oklahoma that was a basic plywood box with four round poles mounted on a trailer.  There were four boat winches on each pole and he'd winch 'er up when he got to where he was going.  Pretty cool idea.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:23:03 AM EDT
[#23]
would your place in NE MO be anywhere around macon county? i'll be there the first weekend and at our place in jefferson county the second.

i don't think deer hunting in MO would be half as fun if we couldn't use rifles. my uncle made a 427 yard shot last season across a field in macon. mine was more like 120 yards but still, the good old .30-06 is nessecary part of a deer hunt.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:32:44 AM EDT
[#24]
hunting blinds and stands. jesus. thats not hunting its camping and sniping.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:33:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 9:01:27 AM EDT
[#26]
The last issue of american hunter had some "classic" stands in it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Actually the worse was a hunt my brother went on.  The hunt turned out to be a poker party.  After playing (and probably drinking) for half the day, the host asked if anyone wanted to shoot a deer.  After finding a volunteer, he flicked a light switch that activated the feeder in the yard.  The deer came out just like pavloves dog - with a 75 yard shot from the sliding glass door.  

To be honest, the last deer my brother shot was from another house hunt, but that was inlaws so I can not make as much fun of them.  I think that one was from an upstairs bedroom window - they kept took the screen off that window for huntin season.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:59:33 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

+1

lazy hunting
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:23:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#30]
in his late 70s, my grandpa had a stand that had stairs leading up to it with a handrail. there was a door, roof, and heater. it was pretty tasteful, almost looked like a kid's treehouse.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:08:42 PM EDT
[#31]
If you're not in it for the hunting aspect, just to get the meat, then I can see the usefulness of such devices (blinds, stands, feeders, etc).
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:14:20 PM EDT
[#32]
I hunt in stands with feeders down the road.  Thats how I was introduced and how I have done it my whole life.  This season, I am going to try to camo up and scent kill myself and walk around with my AK or 30-30 and try to do it that way.  What methods do you guys use for hunting?  Keep in mind that I hunt in brush country and visibility is only a few yards except for clearings.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:38:20 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I hunt in stands with feeders down the road.  Thats how I was introduced and how I have done it my whole life.  This season, I am going to try to camo up and scent kill myself and walk around with my AK or 30-30 and try to do it that way.  What methods do you guys use for hunting?  Keep in mind that I hunt in brush country and visibility is only a few yards except for clearings.

I know two people who did not survive hunting in dense brush.  It had to be terrible for the survivors... since in both cases they shot their friend/hunting partner with arrows, to have them die in their arms.  Read carefully... not heard of, I know these people!  I worked with both of them.

Granted, they shot at a shape and not a deer, a major mistake to say the least.  In one case while the guy was holding his buddy after hitting him with an arrow, his buddy said "You killed me!".  That night his buddies were just barely was able to stop him from killing himself with a .357 magnum.

In some areas the only way to safely hunt is from stands.  I know of a military base that would drive on base hunters to permanent stands with instructions to NOT leave the stand for any reason until they returned to pick them up!

Different areas hunt differently.  A tree stand in the middle of a prairie would make no sense... but in heavy growth/brush... very much so!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:37:45 PM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#36]
My hunting (when I actually have the time to go anymore ) is in a wilderness area. The road to the campsite is open, but 30 feet into the treeline is wilderness. To hunt the area it is best if you have horses as most of the elk taken will not lend themselves to an easy backpack out of the pole patch. To hunt the area, you just walk (or ride a horse if you got one) to the spot you want, and then begin working the canyon/ridgeline/patch of woods until it provides an opportunity or it proves to be a dry hole. If its dry, you move to a different ridge/canyon, pole patch and try that spot. It can be alot of work, but hell it's really nice country out there anyway. Unless it's raining hard and windy, then you just get drenched and have trees falling on you alot.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:05:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Somedays my idea of a perfect hunting trip is exactly "camping and sniping". Somedays, it's the other end of the spectrum: camo-ed out, etc. and stalking.
Because I virtually stopped shooting deer a few years ago, it's not fair to judge my relative success by how many I've killed at each. I've seen about equal numbers of deer per hour afield, using both methods.

Mousehunter, the idea of the ultimate redneck deerstand has been on my mind lately. There really isn't much info on "treestands", but there is some info on "treehouses". It's actually kind of "bed and breakfast" territory - people pay to stay in them.

I've probably built 20, and in my experience, you just gotta climb the tree and start nailing up boards, doing all you can to make it secure as you go.
I can only claim partial credit for "Death Wish", the stand I still consider the "coolest" deer stand ever. It was 40' up in a bull pine; about 6'x8', enclosed, with windows, a pulley, a gas heater.
It lasted about 5 years, then began to deteriorate.
And while it was a great place to spend time, we didn't shoot or even see much wildlife from it.
I do have a picture (i think), but it's after the tornado, so it mostly looks like a wrecked trailer house... in a tree.
I'm with Mousehunter - let's see some more pics.

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:26:38 AM EDT
[#38]
We still run plain tree stands around here.  Most of them have been upgraded to 2-seaters though.  Plenty of room to get comfortable with your pack/gear.  

Stalking isn't a good idea here with the dense trees and brush.  Lots of Fudds still shoot at movement.

Now, a couple of those turrets look pretty neat.  I've got a coyote problem here on our 110 acres.  One of them things down in our riverside pasture (about 70 acres of flats) would be the ticket.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:08:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't let stereotypes fool you.  

Yeah, everybody knows that he'll just open the window and piss out the open window.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:28:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Not "Deer Stand" related but pretty damn funny...!

Ice Fishing...
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:34:57 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Not "Deer Stand" related but pretty damn funny...!

Ice Fishing...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top