User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/23/2006 4:51:15 PM EDT
news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061023/ap_on_re_us/marine_slain

Sailor kills Marine after lie about rape
By SONJA BARISIC, Associated Press Writer
Mon Oct 23, 5:18 PM ET

NORFOLK, Va. - A sailor pleaded guilty Monday to abducting and killing a Marine corporal he thought had been involved in a gang rape. The rape turned out to be a lie, but the truth surfaced too late.

Petty Officer 3rd Class Cooper Jackson, 23, pleaded guilty Monday to premeditated murder, kidnapping, impersonating a Naval Criminal Investigative Service agent and obstruction of justice in connection with the death of Cpl. Justin L. Huff, 23.

In exchange for his guilty plea, prosecutors agreed to spare him a possible death sentence.

Federal agents had testified at his Article 32 hearing, the military equivalent of a grand jury investigation, that Jackson had been fooled into falling in love with a woman who called herself Samantha and made up a story about being raped by servicemen.

"Samantha" turned out to be Ashley Elrod, a 22-year-old hotel clerk on North Carolina's Outer Banks, who testified that she lied about being raped. She said she "might have" told Jackson that one of the Marines was named Huff or Huffman, and she said Jackson called her after Huff was killed. Elrod has not been charged.

During his court-martial, Jackson told the Navy judge how he posed as an NCIS agent and took Huff to North Carolina to get information about the purported rape. He said he then slit Huff's throat and buried the body to avoid being caught.

"I'd broken several laws and I had a missing Marine with me," Jackson said at his hearing Monday. "Quite frankly, I was scared of the consequences of what would happen, of being caught, more so than I was of the consequences of taking his life."

If the judge accepts the plea, Jackson could be sentenced to life in prison with or without the possibility of parole, said his lawyer, Don Marcari. The sentencing phase was to begin Tuesday.

Huff, 23, of Indianapolis, was reported missing Jan. 2 after he didn't show up for class at the Navy and Marine Corps Intelligence Training Center in Virginia Beach, where Jackson also was a student.

Agents said Jackson, of Boones Mill, confessed when they questioned him Jan. 12. The next day, he led agents to Huff's body in a wooded area in Currituck County, N.C., just south of the Virginia-North Carolina border.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Not the first time a chick has hollered rape to make a boyfriend jealous.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 4:54:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Fry him and make her sit in his lap while he cooks.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 4:57:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Which is the only reason why I don't think rape should be the death penalty.  

To many crazy women cry it when it never happened.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I didnt see any mention of her being his girlfriend, maybe i am blind, could you highlight it?
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 4:59:36 PM EDT
[#5]
This is totally fucked up.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#6]
damn..... what a shame.....

"Behold.....the power of pie"

No Expert
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 5:04:27 PM EDT
[#7]
with some of the women walking around today, this doesn't surprise me.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 5:05:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Only proof I can see is if there is DNA evidence...

On the other side, I think the story itself is wacked.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Two servicemen's lives are over because of some commissary cunt.

ETA: Screw the plea. Let him fry.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#10]
4 out of 5 rapes are not reported.
4 out of 5 reported rapes are false.

Most cops know this, why don't most guys?
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 5:07:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Might have, maybe have, MY ASS.

Evil witch should be burned as an accessory.  

If you believe guys go out just find anyone with a name close to another and kill them because some bimbo sais somethign close to this or that, then I have some nice high dollar swamp land you would be interested in.

This was an ochestrated killing and the conductor is free for another performance.

Tj

At the very minimum, she should be charged with involuntary homocide or negligent homocide.

Link Posted: 10/23/2006 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Might have, maybe have, MY ASS.

Evil witch should be burned as an accessory.  

If you believe guys go out just find anyone with a name close to another and kill them because some bimbo sais somethign close to this or that, then I have some nice high dollar swamp land you would be interested in.

This was an ochestrated killing and the conductor is free for another performance.

Tj

At the very minimum, she should be charged with involuntary homocide or negligent homocide.

I disagree.

And I only disagree, if she did not KNOW the guy would have went out and killed someone.

Yep, she's trash but she did not request, instruct or direct the murder.

He did it on his own.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 5:16:34 PM EDT
[#14]
these things happen
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Did she know the Marine or just pulled a name out of her ass?
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 5:18:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Damn!
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Seriously?

I've heard the first statistic before, seems reaonable.  That's the first time, however, I've seen the second.  Where you getting that from?  Not that I doubt it, just curious.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Tj

Took the words right out of my mouth
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Not that the sailor isn't responsible, but I hope there is some way to get the woman too.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 5:32:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously?

I've heard the first statistic before, seems reaonable.  That's the first time, however, I've seen the second.  Where you getting that from?  Not that I doubt it, just curious.
Rape crisis/sensitivity class when I was an EMT.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 5:41:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously?

I don't know where he got that second statistic, but as a former prosecutor and former criminal defense attorney, almost every single rape case I saw ended up turning out to be either:
a:  consensual sex and he didn't want to snuggle afterwards, so she cries rape to get back at him.
b:  consensual sex, she gets slut remorse and cries rape to save her tattered reputation.
c:  consensual sex, and she suddenly realizes that if her boyfriend finds out she just fucked this other guy, she's fucked, so she cries rape.

It's just sad.  Especially for the women who actually are raped.  It does happen, but there are a lot of times it's just someone crying wolf.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#22]
The liar should do the time.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously?

I don't know where he got that second statistic, but as a former prosecutor and former criminal defense attorney, almost every single rape case I saw ended up turning out to be either:
a:  consensual sex and he didn't want to snuggle afterwards, so she cries rape to get back at him.
b:  consensual sex, she gets slut remorse and cries rape to save her tattered reputation.
c:  consensual sex, and she suddenly realizes that if her boyfriend finds out she just fucked this other guy, she's fucked, so she cries rape.

It's just sad.  Especially for the women who actually are raped.  It does happen, but there are a lot of times it's just someone crying wolf.

Are the women who cry rape punished? that woud seem to go a long way towards aleviating the problem
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 5:45:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously?

When they told us the stats, they said "probably more than that" after saying 4 out of 5 reported rapes are false.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously?

Are the women who cry rape punished? that woud seem to go a long way towards aleviating the problem

In the military, if they recanted via sworn statement, we punished them.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#26]
My father worked on this case.

I'll try to explain what happened as best as possible. I don't really remember the exact details of everything, so don't criticize me.

First off, Ill start by saying that this happened a few months back.

So basically.

This girl. A real crazy bitch, as you all can tell.

A little info on her body. Simply put, shes kinda fat and ugly.

Alright, Well, this girl.

Is hittin' it up with this Navy recruiter.

They talk on the phone for hours and hours.

They get to know each other real well.

She tells him she is a real sexy blonde.

You know, 5'5, 115 pounds, DD.

He develops feelings for her.

So, she suggests they meet.

What better place then the local bar.

They agree on a time, and decide to meet there that night.

The girl, showed up early.

Theres a rowdy gang of Marines there as well.

She sat under one of those bright Neon "BUDWEISER" signs, in the corner.

The guy showed up too.

Looking for a very attractive blonde, he doesn't see who he is looking for.

After waiting an hour or two, he decides to leave.

Next day, he calls her up, and asked where she was.

She was there, she responds.

But was taken by one of the Marines, and raped.

The recruiter is furious, he asks for a description.

The parts from here on, I dont really remember well.

I remember  told him he was tan, short black haired..stocky..etc.

Well, This guys furious. He thinks hes got an idea of who it was.

I believe he "kidnapped" the marine, from the bar, or from a road on base. Not sure.

He told him that he was an NCIS agent, and he needed to be taken in for some questioning, and that he was taking him down to "the station", or somethingerother.

The man hand-cuffed him, and threw the Marine in his truck. A blue or white Ford model If I remember correctly.

And they drive to the coast, by the beach. It's real early in the morning, if i remember correctly, and no one is around.

The recruiter drives up to some sand dunes. You know, the kind that look real nice and all, with weeds sprouting up here and there. and the sands all wavy.

He takes the man out. I think he told him how he was gonna kill him for raping his girlfriend.

And he roughed him up a bit.

The Marine put up as good a fight as hand cuffed man could.

But was eventually knocked down to the ground. And the recruiter then slit his throat.

The recruiter, goes back to his truck quickly, and gets a shovel.

He then buries the body.

He gets back in his truck, and drives for a while.

He then thought "Oh shit, this is a public beach, dogs and stuff come here in the morning, they might find the body"

So, he takes some gasoline from his truck, puts it on the all the blood. And burns it.

Im not so sure, But I think he may have burned the body as well. Not 100% on it.

I guess you could say he did a good job of cleaning up. No one really find the body.

He admitted to the crime.

That's really as how I remember my dad telling me.

It's cool how my dad researched it. He joined myspace, and searched for the people. He found the Marines page, his buddies, and the marines wife. The marine had a young wife, and a daughter or two.

(sorry for the long azzz post)
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 6:22:40 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously?

It's just sad.  Especially for the women who actually are raped.  It does happen, but there are a lot of times it's just someone crying wolf.Very sad indeed, for both the accused and bona fide rape victims. For the accused, kind of has a way of following you around for life, even if innocent

When they told us the stats, they said "probably more than that" after saying 4 out of 5 reported rapes are false. Interesting, we were not told that when I went through EMT-B school (or EMT-I school for that matter).

And to answer the question about punishment for women who falsely report a rape: yeah, you could charge the women with filing a false police report (small consolation for the person who is accused of rape).  Additionally, the accused could also file a civil claim against the women for damages resulting (again, small consolation).
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 6:33:10 PM EDT
[#28]
She made the story, but unless she told him she wanted him killed, I'm not seeing any sort of accessory to murder charge. I can't think of ANYTHING she could be charged with, really.

Navy guy, on the other hand, should be hanged by the neck until dead.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#29]
She did not say she wanted him dead.

I believe the worst she can get was impersonation, or something like that.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 6:45:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
She did not say she wanted him dead.

I believe the worst she can get was impersonation, or something like that.

Impersonation of what?

Worst she could get in this situation is nothing.  She did no criminal wrong.  Now, morally, that's a different story.  Hope it was worth it to her, because that blood is on her hands in my book.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I sent an e-mail to pops askin.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 11:49:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Are you fucking kiddidn me? The woman in question is at the second video link on the page below.

http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=5570329&nav=23ii

If the camera adds ten pounds she swallowed about fourteen of them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 11:54:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 11:54:45 PM EDT
[#34]
One of the worst things is to be murdered by your brother in arms... Unbelieveable.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 11:56:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Damn that is awful.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 12:01:51 AM EDT
[#36]
I don't believe in life in prison for the sailor. If a person is so bad they can't be redeemed and reintegrated into society, it's more appropriate to kill 'em than to pay for their care and feeding for the rest of their lives.

Dave
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 12:06:22 AM EDT
[#37]
With the effect of even being acused of rape has, I think that a false rape report should come with a nice long prison term, like 20 years.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 12:09:57 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
My father worked on this case.

I'll try to explain what happened as best as possible. I don't really remember the exact details of everything, so don't criticize me.

First off, Ill start by saying that this happened a few months back.

So basically.

<snip>

It's cool how my dad researched it. He joined myspace, and searched for the people. He found the Marines page, his buddies, and the marines wife. The marine had a young wife, and a daughter or two.

(sorry for the long azzz post)

Wow makes me want to learn how to fight handcuffed. That is simply fucked up. This plus the father murdering the innocent next door neighbor based on the word of his wife and daughter make me realize that unless you see it happen personally, it's best not to act on such rage.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 12:11:08 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
With the effect of even being acused of rape has, I think that a false rape report should come with a nice long prison term, like 20 years.

I think a woman who makes a false rape claim should get the same sentence the guy would have gotten if convicted. That also includes having to register as a sex offender after she gets out of jail.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 12:16:14 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think a woman who makes a false rape claim should get the same sentence the guy would have gotten if convicted. That also includes having to register as a sex offender after she gets out of jail.

Perfect!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 4:53:42 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BRILLIANT!!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 5:04:13 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
4 out of 5 rapes are not reported. BECAUSE

It burns me up when I hear this crap.
Trash like the one in this story make it hard for real victims to come forward.

ETA: I like the Gooch's suggestion!
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 5:09:55 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Easy solution to that.

False accusations carry an equal penalty.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 5:27:54 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The reason why most real rapes are not reported is because the victim usually knows the rapist.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 5:44:55 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/24/2006 6:02:53 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Easy solution to that.

False accusations carry an equal penalty.

And in this case, the actual victim, stands a 50-50 chance of getting life.

I mean, lets face facts here... a trial depends on who has the better lawyer, and which lawyer the mindless sheep in the jury box believe.

This sort of solution would only result in less actual rapes being reported, thats my guess.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 6:05:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Hang the murderer and the bitch.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 6:17:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Jackson's three-day hearing at Norfolk Naval Station wrapped up Wednesday. The presiding officer will recommend whether the military should seek a court-martial and possibly the death penalty. The military hasn't executed anyone in nearly 50 years.

Jackson is charged with killing Marine Cpl. Justin Huff in January after mistakenly believing that the Iraq war

veteran had raped Elrod. The rape never occurred.

"He told me he wanted to kill him," Elrod testified.

Elrod, using the alias Samantha, maintained a phone relationship - they never met in person - with Jackson for more than two months, which she said included phone sex. She testified that she took the name from her pet bird.

She said she described herself to him as wealthy, attractive, slender and blond and sent him photos, some topless. She testified that she found the photos on the Internet. The heavyset 22-year-old Salem High School dropout looks nothing like the photos.

Asked by Jackson's attorney why she continued the facade, Elrod testified that she needed the attention and then became scared . "I didn't want him to know who I was. I just wanted to talk to him," she said. "I was ashamed at who I was."

She said she had been making random phone calls to military men since she was 15, each time lying about herself. "I have low self-esteem and I need someone to talk to," she said, adding that she is now in counseling.

Believing his "girlfriend" had been raped, Jackson searched for the attacker based on a description by Elrod . When asked Wednesday whether she had told him the attacker was a Marine named Huff or Huffman, Elrod testified that "I might have."

Posing as a special agent with the Naval Criminal Investigative Service, Jackson took Huff away in handcuffs from the Fleet Combat Training Center at Dam Neck on New Year's weekend, according to military court records. Both men had been training at the Virginia Beach base.

Prosecutors said Jackson slit Huff's throat, poured gasoline on him, set him on fire, and then buried him in a North Carolina field.

Afterward, Jackson called Elrod, she said.

"He was hysterical crying," she said, adding that he told her, "'I might have hurt someone.'"

link
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 6:19:20 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The reason why most real rapes are not reported is because the victim usually knows the rapist.

I think it also has to do with the fact that rape is a very hard crime to prove beyond a reasonable doubt--partially because of the false rape reports and partially because it's simply a "he said, she said" situation ESPECIALLY if they knew each other. The victim is re-victimized during trial. Who the hell wants to go thru that?
Hell, even Robert Chambers (the "preppy murderer) managed to besmirch Jennifer Levy's character after he'd KILLED her.

Link Posted: 10/24/2006 6:22:31 AM EDT
[#50]
She needs to share his fate.

CJ
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top