Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/19/2006 7:54:58 PM EDT
The message is pretty damn clear...give and you better give enough or you might be lookin' at a layoff.

Last year, appearently we didn't give enough, so the boss called a meeting, showed the damn stupid video and told us we need to do better. So far this year we haven't heard the final word yet. Kinda expecting round two real soon tho.

I suspect the United Way came back to him and said "we didn't get enough from your company so please threaten them [the workers] again".

I hate the United way.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 7:56:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 7:57:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I hate the United way.

Shame on you ;)
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 7:58:06 PM EDT
[#3]
We just have to return pledge electronic pledge cards to payroll.  No one knows what you pledged or if you put an amount at all.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I am expecting the talk soon.

When they ask me I will politely them they can suck my dick from the back.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 8:02:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I never undestood the tactics,,,,it's supposed to be a Charity right?,,,so why Bully/Guilt me into it
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 8:02:20 PM EDT
[#6]
It's funny that you mention this...tonight at school a minority woman told us that she is the United Way Champion of her department at ComEd.  She has a six month time frame before donations are taken to motivate her employees to donate to the cause.

She made it sound like they use the supervisors and managers to strong arm employees to donate.

Ethically, that is not something you should do to your employees.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 8:04:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone have any military/CFC segway here?

Because I know there is one.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#8]
My company has their own charity. It goes to a real good cause, and the company pays all the administrative fees completely, so in theory all your dollars go directly to people that need it. I feel an inordinate amount of pressure to join in the giving. They send emails out almost every day recently telling everyone to give and to join in the giving and that only  75% of the people on our floor are currently contributing, etc.

I know they run the numbers and know that I don't give, but I give quite a bit to my own 'charity' the NRA. I give to the causes I want to, and I'll be damned if someone is going to force me to give my money away because they make me feel guilty.

Shawn
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 8:18:16 PM EDT
[#10]
In our office they sell raffle tickets for a couple of the parking spots in the underground parking area.  Spent $20-40 last year and won a spot for a month.  That's about the only thing I'll do to support them.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Yea.  We get these little blue cards wanting us to "give".  I throw mine away.  And that is that.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My last company tried that stuff every single year.  My current one does too.  I dont give to their charities.... I give to my own.  I never had a problem telling anyone that.

They are too scared to directly tell you anything like that, for fear of lawsuits.... they just make it "seem" like you have to.

FUGM.  That's what I say.

+1...
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 8:23:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Charity is MY decision.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 8:24:57 PM EDT
[#15]
You might remember a few years ago their President or CEO or something, the Big PooBaa, was caught stealing a ton a money from them.  The very next year, when everyone should have been crossing every T and dotting every I, our local United Way person embezzled about $100,000 in one year, bought her mother a house and just blew a lot more, she got caught and prosecuted, but after that I didn't want anything to do with United Way.

When they ask me I just tell them I give directly to the charity of my choice, cut out the middle man costs.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 8:32:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Three of use threw in money for raffle ticket to play golf with the CEO at the local private club. We won and had a blast. Ended up drinking for a few hours with the CEO on his (the company's) tab.

Unless I have a chance of getting something out of it...I don't donate to those "at work" charities.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Not only no - but hell no.  The corruption in the United way is so deep, so bad and for so long - that their credibility is sub-zero.  The corruption happens over and over and over again and they do nothing to stop it.  

If you want to donate to one of their charities - donate directly to THAT charity.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 8:34:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Among the United Way's stellar work with YOUR donations:

Forbes, Jan 16, 2006: "One reason donors turned off to United Way was a highly publicized scandal involving long-time United Way head William Aramony, who drew a seven-year sentence in 1995 after being convicted with two other top officials of looting $1.2 million to fund an extravagant and lurid lifestyle.

"After a two year investigation, Mr. Aramony was indicted by a federal grand jury of conspiring to defraud the United Way, filing false tax returns and falsifying records to hide the diversion of money, [and] following a lengthy and well-publicized trial, Mr. Aramony was found guilty of 25 felony charges and was sentenced to seven years in prison."

The most startling similarity between the Aramony case, and the current case of former United Way Executive Vice President, Oral Suer, is that the misappropriation of funds, advances against salary, and non-business expenditures, along with a lack of accounting records and documents, occurred over a great span of time.

Washington Post: in an August 17th article entitled "Dealings of Charity Executive Concealed," by staff writers Peter Whoriskey and Jacqueline L. Salmon, points out that, "The financial dealings of Oral Suer, the former United Way chief accused in an audit last week of taking more than $1.5 million in questionable payments from the local charity, were first flagged by auditors more than 15 years ago but remained a closely held secret among a handful of prominent board members even as the losses mounted over time, audits and interviews show."

June 1, 2006 - (The Chronicle of Philanthropy)
Former Official Alleges That D.C. United Way Distorted Campaign Results
The United Way in Washington, D.C., faces charges that it distorted its fund-raising results...

May 22, 2006 - (Washington Post)
United Way Official Resigns, Alleges Inflated Numbers
The chief financial officer brought in to help clean up the scandal-rocked local United Way has resigned...

January 2, 2006 - (The Washington Examiner Editorial)
Rebuilding Public Trust

August 10, 2005 - (Washington Post)
The local United Way's most recent fundraising drive raised $39 million, increasing for the first time since a scandal hit the organization nearly four years ago.

April 12, 2005 - (Washington Post)
The United Way of the National Capital Area said yesterday that it will increase the amount it withholds from donations to cover its overhead expenses.

December 25, 2004 - (Washington Post)
WHATEVER you may have heard, read and thoroughly disliked about this region's United Way in the past, the organization today bears no resemblance to the scandal-ridden operation that shamelessly pocketed money meant for the needy.

Their failures to clean house and implement minimally effective financial management techniques illustrate that money donated to help the needy is instead stolen by United Way executives to line their own pockets. One major graft problem follows another.

How sad.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#20]
It is a social thing for the top dogs where you work.  They get to sit around with other top dogs patting each other on the back for doing 'worthwhile' things, and get publicity when XYZ company makes the 'inner circle', 'president's club' or wtf they call it.

The corporate legal dept had memo posted that there would be no more girl scout cookies, Kiwanas sub sales, etc. allowed.  A paragraph of reasons including taking up time of people on the clock.  Then comes the UW campaign and there are meetings for each shift to 'explain' the campaign.  Can you say 'shake down'?

Then a memo was posted that the United Way was approved by the corporation and it was not subject to the previoius memo on cookies and subs.

If you are under serious pressure, ask for the list of member charities and you can specify the money go to that/those groups.  The group will send a receipt if you request.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 8:56:47 PM EDT
[#21]
My company has a policy of not contributing to any political campaings and not permitting any employee to solicit donations of any kind from any or for any organization.  We have a United Way information booth that is unattended.  There is nothing but one e-mail sent out at the start for general info and a web site.  No one in company accepts money, so your donations are 100% anonomyous.  There is no awards and no penalties.

I love my company.  CEO says that we give back to the community through taxes, jobs, and investment.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#22]
They give us donation forms that we HAVE to fill out and turn in even if we don't want to donate.
I put my down my name, a big fat zero and leave the rest blank. My supervisor returned it to me and told me I needed to fill out the form completely (address, phone # etc) even though I wasn't donating.
I refused on the grounds that's confidential personal info and I'm not giving that out to people.

Link Posted: 10/19/2006 9:11:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Man I would love to stand up during the United Way video and say, "Please don't give a penny to this horrible charity!!!"  That wouldn't be very nice, no would it?
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 9:11:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I think I'm the only one who refuses.  That is a truly corrupt outfit.  NO love from me.  

I donate to many charities, but I am with you on this one, I have never given them a dime.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 9:14:07 PM EDT
[#25]
When I was with UPS my supervisor asked me to give to United Way by having an automatic deduction from my paycheck.  I said no thanks.  Later that week his boss cornered me while I was unloading a truck.  He said he would really like me to donate to United Way- even if it was only one dollar a week.  I pulled a dollar out of my wallet and said- look man I don't like any more money coming out of my paycheck...but here is a dollar, can you make sure that it gets to United Way?  He did not take it but left me alone until next year.

United Way is anti gun...no?
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 9:18:25 PM EDT
[#26]
It's that time of the year again. The place i work for has raffles for those who donate (parking upgrades, bike, day of paid vacation, meals for two). I even saw an email come through about winning a Harley but the fine print was sketchy and unclear. I think the prize/raffle is much better then the strong arm stuff that I've heard.

-JTP
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 9:21:55 PM EDT
[#27]
I was a broke ass E-3 in the navy, I had creditors calling my command and my house about my past due bills...(stupid kid I was)..the Capt ordered me to go to a counselor to get my bills taken care of or he would bust me down to E-2...ya that will help take more cash away...

Two weeks later when I said I couldnt give to the United Way...I was sent to clean toilets for 2 weeks
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 9:24:02 PM EDT
[#28]
I was very clear with my employers. I told them I dislike the United Way, and will not give a dime. If they doubted my charity, I would provide a copy of my tax records to show that I give liberally to worthy causes.

They hinted I was not being a team player, and I said if they would buy $400 in chocolate bars for my daughter's school, I would gladly give to the United Way (they have a policy against selling candy or other school stuff at work). They never bothered me again.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 9:29:12 PM EDT
[#29]
At my job we can designate our money go to any 401(3)c organization.  I wrote in my state rifle and revolver association.  I checked with my association and they never recieved any money.  I called my HR department and wanted to know why my money wasn't going where I requested.  They were pissed to have to send it to a shooting organization but my state association now gets a check from United Way every quarter.  You should also be able to write in that you want your money to go to the NRA Foundation.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 9:29:14 PM EDT
[#30]
I work for Penske Corp.

theres a poster up in the lunchroom now but that about the extent of the strong arming tactics i seen.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 9:31:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Where I work they do a 50/50 drawing to raise money, with a drawing every friday. The weekly winner usually takes home between $600 to $1100. And no, I've never won.

It's a good way to raise donations.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 9:38:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
They were pissed to have to send it to a shooting organization but my state association now gets a check from United Way every quarter.  You should also be able to write in that you want your money to go to the NRA Foundation.

Minus the 12% the United Way skims off the top of all donations.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 9:49:47 PM EDT
[#33]
I told them that I wasn't interested.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 9:56:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Not one nickel will they get.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 9:59:57 PM EDT
[#35]
The last company I worked for that did United Way coerced employees through guilt and shame.  Never threats, but it was still pretty odious and I resented it.  A lot..

The current company I work for that does United Way is much more lighthearted and they offer gifts, raffles, and prizes for donating.  Sort of like public broadcasting pledge drives. Not that that approach prompts me to shell out to the United Way.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 10:08:27 PM EDT
[#36]
The CFC was always pushed hard when I was on active duty.

Usually, it was just reminders in emails and at safety standdowns.

But not in 2000.

In 2000, the CFC people came and talked to my entire company. They spent alot of time talking about a group that provides dogs for blind people. Then they had another guy come in. A blind guy. With a dog. And a guitar. This guy proceeded to play and sing the most poorly written song I had ever heard anout how much he loved his dog.

I have never seen a more obvious guilt trip in my life.
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 2:41:31 AM EDT
[#37]
My first job out of college really set me against the whole United Way giving mentality.
The VP of HR was also the chairperson for the county United Way.
I had just gotten out of college and had a huge stack of bills ahead of me.
I barely made the ends meet sometimes.
So when they passed out the forms, I didn't do anything with it.
A few weeks passed and my boss came to me and asked why I hadn't turned in my form yet.
I told him my situation and he then told me that he understood, but if I wanted any chance of getting a raise in a few months, I needed to donate.
He then explained to me that because the VP was also the chair, he would do everythng he could to make sure that his company had 100% donations.
Since he had the last signoff on all raises given out, he could change it,lower it or even deny it.
The more you gave, the more of a raise you would see, but the more you were expected to give the next year.
When I said that this was illegal, he said that he wasn't happy about it either, but I could go and find somewhere else to work.
Jobs at that time were tough to find, especially for a college student with no experience.
I checked it out with some of the other older employees, and they told me that it was true.
I did it while I was there, but when I left, I stopped doing it.
I have told this story to many United Way people when they try to thug cash out of me, it always stops them dead in their tracks.

I give my funds to the places without the extra tax United Way puts on it.

Link Posted: 10/20/2006 2:57:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Fortunately the place I'm working at now the boss just said " Here are the forms, fill them out, or not. I don't care"

Last place I worked it wasn't the real strong arm meeting but was getting there.
I was asked why I didn't fill the forms out and I told them I had real work to do and left.
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 3:02:46 AM EDT
[#39]
My company is BIG on United Way ...   but I always give 0 ...

I threatened to stand up in the middle of this years UW meeting and ask:  "Does the Uniteway Way keep records of what percentage of donations go to illegal aliens?"    ...

But ... since I don't donate my money anyway I decided no too.   I pay taxes and make sure my family is not a burden to society ... that's enough for me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 3:05:42 AM EDT
[#40]
As a matter of fact I just tossed the form & all the literature i the trash can yesterday.  I feel better now

United Way = thieves
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 3:07:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
When I was with UPS my supervisor asked me to give to United Way by having an automatic deduction from my paycheck.  I said no thanks.  Later that week his boss cornered me while I was unloading a truck.  He said he would really like me to donate to United Way- even if it was only one dollar a week.  I pulled a dollar out of my wallet and said- look man I don't like any more money coming out of my paycheck...but here is a dollar, can you make sure that it gets to United Way?  He did not take it but left me alone until next year.

Same thing happened to me at UPS. This was years ago before all the scandals of embezzlement. But they(supervisors) kept coming and pressuring me. I never gave them anything.
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 3:09:05 AM EDT
[#42]
AT&T is bad about it. They definitely use strong arm tactics. Not a penny though...The Salvation Army is a better .org for my donations IMO.
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 3:09:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Its getting close to CFC time here, last year I was TDY for the entire collection period so they couldnt strong arm me but I dont think I will be so lucky this year.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 3:11:20 AM EDT
[#44]
I've never been approached to give to the UW from anybody.

Damn police union charities are always calling, though. I never know if they are legit or not.

Link Posted: 10/20/2006 3:16:18 AM EDT
[#45]
I've never been approached about the United Way at work.

If I was, the answer would be no.

Link Posted: 10/20/2006 3:17:13 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
The message is pretty damn clear...give and you better give enough or you might be lookin' at a layoff.

Last year, appearently we didn't give enough, so the boss called a meeting, showed the damn stupid video and told us we need to do better. So far this year we haven't heard the final word yet. Kinda expecting round two real soon tho.

I suspect the United Way came back to him and said "we didn't get enough from your company so please threaten them [the workers] again".

I hate the United way.

No united way, but they push AER and CFC pretty damn hard....

Not that hard, though....
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 3:17:28 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I hate the United way.

Always say "I give through my church".
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 3:27:19 AM EDT
[#48]
I worked at Sears Roebucks when I was in high school in the early 70's...Sears used to threaten too...I never gave a dime...i was seasonal help so i didn't give a shit.

eta...They sat us down for a film and all what BS...What are the corpoarations getting out of this? What is their cut?
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 3:27:23 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I think I'm the only one who refuses.  That is a truly corrupt outfit.  NO love from me.  

No you are not, every year they come around with thier hand out begging for my money and every year I tell them to pound sand.

I give my money to St. Judes.
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 3:31:18 AM EDT
[#50]
My United Way experience came at the young age of 13 in the 70s. I worked for a thing called "Hire-a-kid" during the summer.

We would get work cleaning yards stuff like that. One job was at a United Way function.  We (a buddy and I) sold soft drinks at a United Way function.  It was a play, we sold during rehersals, and the play for about 2 months.  We weren't paid directly by United way, but we got paid the profit we made on the soft drinks, at the end of the 2 months.  ($70 woohoo!)

The week before the end of the deal I was told that I would have to donate 10% of my take to United Way.  I was pissed.  I told the lady running the thing "that will be the last 7 bucks united way will see from me".

I have been true to my word on this for the last 33 years.

My current company is big on United Way, but I'm not going to give.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top