Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2001 3:28:28 PM EDT
As mentioned in the topic I am 17, i'll be 18 this August.  The day I turn 18 I plan on purchasing a Ruger 10/22 (Gotta start somewhere).  I've had my mind set on getting an AR-15 for quite some time.  I'm thinking about some sort of Bushmaster.  Anyone in WI know of legal issues here?

DLoken.
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 3:37:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I am 17 and into gun collecting.  Welcome to the board.  Most of the people here are really nice, and are full of many many lifetimes of experience that you can use.  This board has helped me:

purchase rifles (duh! :D)
join the military (choose branch, help for BT)
get through those bad days where nothing goes right

I have been around for a year and am waiting for my first AR now. (being shipped) From someone who got the 10/22, go for the AR first, and buy a 10/22 later.  The AR is an expensive rifle (cheapest is about $575 built), but a nice one.  A 10/22 gets really tiring.  

If you do get the 10/22, don't accessorize it, it isn't worth it.  The hicap mags aren't worth the money, it's no fun with a scope, and the gun is fine how it is.  If you get the 10/22, get the cheapest one you can find (pick up an issue of SG news, you can find the birch/blued ones for $119, ship to an FFL for $15 + transfer fee).  Save up for an AR over time, buy it in increments.  Lower, upper with barrel installed (saves gunsmithing), bolt and charging handle.  Shop around and don't get brand names, unless you want a warranty (BM has 1 year, Armalite has lifetime, but both guns go for $800-950)

Good luck!

James
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 3:39:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Matt's girlfriend here:

Congratulations!!!!!  Just got started a couple years ago myself.  Me and Matt that is.  It stops becoming a hobby after about the 2nd month though because you get all these ideas about the guns you want to get.  Ask anyone here, it becomes a serious addiction.

We have the Ruger 10/22, wood stock.  Very nice.  Sold off the Savage we had because it wasn't nearly as nice.  Not to mention a few jamming problems.  I think you'll love it.

In addition, I myself have an A3 20" Bushy.  Love it.  Only problems were crappy Busy mag that came with it.  But fixed that problem with quality USGI mags and voila!  Perfecto!

Matt suggests a bolt action for a second or third gun, something like a Mauser or Mosin-Nagant.  It's still a cool gun, it's relatively inexpensive (though make sure that you get one in good shape!), ammo is cheap, and it's still a powerful weapon.  After that, you'll hear all sorts of advice on the next gun you should get.  The most important recommendation that I can make is "Buy right or buy twice".  ALWAYS buy quality versus price because you'll end up paying more in the long run fixing the crappy guns' problems.

Well, my novel is over.  Hope August comes soon enough for you.  Until then, hang out here and have a lot of fun while you learn lots of stuff.

See you around, Jenn.
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 3:48:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Started out with the ole 10/22 myself, about 15-16 years ago.  It's good to see some younger people getting into the sport.
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Dloken,
   Glad to see another Wisconsinite! Where in the state are you located? I am in the Appleton Area. You've got good news coming, Once your 18 you are legal to own an AR, No restrictions on preban Standard Cap Mags! Good luck with your collecting!

-Jared
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 4:14:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey cheeseheads! I'm from the Dells. (going to college in ND now)
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 4:26:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Got my first 22 when I was eleven yrs old.

A ruger 10/22 in 1965. Still own it.

My point is get the 10/22, then save for an AR-15. 22LR'S are economic & the basis for all firearms collecting.

Enjoy.

P.S. When time & money alot check out a muzzle loader. talk about back to basics!!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#7]
As to who asked about whereabouts in Wisconsin I live, i'm in Racine.  I have another question,  I don't have much knowelege on the inner workings of a gun, so building an AR from parts vs buying a complete weapon is an interesting choice; How much knowlege is needed to buy the parts and assemble it?
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#8]
One of my buddies has an old ruger 10/22. It's fun for pop cans and comes in handy when taking out varmints around the house. "Lives in city limits so he uses subsonic rounds of course"

I personally started with the old man shooting his Remington 7mm. If you are wondering, yes I put the scope into my face. Learned not to do that again though![BD]
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Glad to see someone start off at a young age.I too got a ruger10-22 at 18 was my first gun i purchased.Then moved up from there it took me 7 years to get an ar but i got it.Whatever you do dont sell one gun to get another.I would recqmend getting the ruger 10-22 first and go from there its cheap to buy and to shoot.Have fun with the new hobby.

[beer]
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 5:45:00 PM EDT
[#10]
ar15robert has made a good point.

My sons can't believe I owned what I claimed to have owned because I no longer own them...

They do believe ME.  But don't ever SELL any firearm if you can help it.

You can NEVER replace them. TRUST us old farts!

P.S. Hind sight IS 20/20!!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 5:45:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

.  A 10/22 gets really tiring.  

If you do get the 10/22, don't accessorize it, it isn't worth it.  The hicap mags aren't worth the money, it's no fun with a scope, and the gun is fine how it is.  If you get the 10/22, get the cheapest one you can find (pick up an issue of SG news, you can find the birch/blued ones for $119, ship to an FFL for $15 + transfer fee
Good luck!

James
View Quote

I agree with the rest of your post but the quote above I disagree with it right down the line.
The 10/22 is the most accessorized gun next to the AR. It is a great 1st gun, I would recomend this as a first gun every time. bull barrels, rubber stocks, and a nice scope, can be a very fun day at the range.
I was at a 22 lr competition where the younger Hogue brothers were both competeing, they brought a tricked out Hogue 10/22, that little thing was a blast. tinktinktinktinktink. mucho funo.
Ditto on the hi-cap mags, I use almost nothing but. Worth the money in my book. 22`s get eaten quick.
Anyway have fun starting your new collection, the 10/22 is the perfect 1st gun, it`ll teach the basics of shooting a rifle without the cost of centerfire ammo.
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 5:50:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't let anybody discourage you from buying a "tiring" .22 rimfire. You can never have too many .22 guns. The only possible reason I can see for getting an AR or other higher-powered gun first would be concern about the increasing restrictions on them.

I have never had the money to shoot my guns nearly as much as I would like. Unlike some people on these boards, I've never worn out a single rifle barrel or used up even 1000 rounds of centerfire ammo in one year. I have shot .22's a fair amount, and have shot tens of thousands of rounds through wimpy little air rifles. I shoot offhand a lot, and the result is that I pick up my cheapo pinned-barrel Chinese SKS and go to our local DCM matches and shoot scores equal to or better than 98% of the shooters there in the offhand stage. Including most of the guys with 1200 dollar AR's and M1A's.

Not to knock AR's -- I have a couple of them too. But the point is that even my SKS has enough potential to rule many situations, if I can shoot it well enough. Bad-ass looks and high-tech gizmos are no replacement for the hits that come from practicing with a gun you can afford to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 6:08:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Ditto on the above posts recommending the 10/22 as a first rifle. I think it's one of the most versatile rifles you can own, partly the reason I own 5 of them!! And most of them accessorized to the hilt, of course. Here's a pic of 3 of them:
[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=245842&a=1842204&p=24606646[/img]
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 6:26:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Those are nice Tree, Whats the big scope on the right?
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Get the Ar15 first, then get a Ceiner .22lr conversion kit.  Best of both worlds, the ergonomics of the AR15, and the ability to shoot .22lr ammo or .223 when you can afford it.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 7:00:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I got my first .22 (a Genfield Marlin Mod. 60)when I was 8. Your first gun should be something without a lot of recoil, and a limited range. That is why a .22 is such a great first rifle.

Kyle
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Weclom to the forum Dloken !

I started, out at 7 shooting my dad's Marlin modle 60 "wiggins must also have good tast" [:D]
, and I am now hooked ! I plan to add a AR to my collection in the next year .

Hope you enjoy shooting as much as the rest of us ! Keep at it , and buy as many guns as you can !

Regards: AR15wanabe
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I would recomend that you save up and get your hands on an AR and an AK when you turn 18. When I was 18 (4 years ago)I bought myself a Colt Sporter Light Weight(AR 15). Don't let anyone tell you that an AR is not a beginer rifle. It is very versital with endless configurations. Also get yourself a sh!t load of hi-cap mags.

With the political climate being the way it is today I sure they won't be around for much longer.  "All that other non pistol grip and no detachable hi-cap mags stuff can wait till later". :)

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1549726&a=11753034&p=41848140&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

Link Posted: 2/24/2001 9:59:09 PM EDT
[#19]
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1544541&a=11708996&p=41938128&Sequence=0[/img]

im only 21 and this is my collection.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 10:26:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Rich314- It's a Leapers 6-24X50. I originally bought it for an AR upper I was building, but didn't feel the quality was quite what I wanted for an accurate AR. It works great on the 10/22.
I'll have it with me tomorrow at ASR if we go, you can see it there.
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 10:52:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I also live in Wisconsin dont own a AR though just a couple of hunting shotguns and rifles! I someday hope to get a couple of ARs but time and money got a say in that! Good luck with yours!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top