Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/16/2006 5:39:03 PM EDT
Quick question, do you think that the state of Maryland is a Northern state or a Southern state out of only those two choices?
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 5:39:23 PM EDT
[#1]
North..
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 5:40:19 PM EDT
[#2]
It might as well be Massachusetts.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 5:42:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Unfortunately, NORTH>
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 5:43:09 PM EDT
[#4]
They wanted to secede but were over-run by Federal Troops!!
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 5:45:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Yankee state
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 5:47:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

This is true.  In Baltimore there is a hill just south of the inner harbor.  Federal trrops camped there while the city government was trying to decide to support the north or south.  The city decided to support the north due to the close proximity of the soldiers.

To this day that place is called Federal Hill.

ETA:  The name Federal Hill came much earlier than that.  Link.

Link Posted: 10/16/2006 5:48:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Mostly Yankee, but a strange hybrid of both.  Not always in a good way either.

Link Posted: 10/16/2006 5:50:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 10/16/2006 5:50:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I grew up in western MD.  Mt. Savage to be exact.  My parents home is 5 miles south of the Mason Dixon line.  As the northerns here in northern OH like to remind me, south is south.  Having said that, the 21st century politics of the eastern part of the state is northern.  In 1860, I would have to say it was a southern state.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 5:50:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Depends on what part, eastern shore MD across the bay is redneck land or as they call them shorebillys.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 5:52:24 PM EDT
[#11]
SOUTH DAMNIT
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I think of Maryland more of a buffer state , not part of the North or South.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 5:57:43 PM EDT
[#13]
South. Cumberland is one of the most hillbilly places I have ever been to.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I grew up in western MD.  Mt. Savage to be exact.  My parents home is 5 miles south of the Mason Dixon line.  As the northerns here in northern OH like to remind me, south is south.  Having said that, the 21st century politics of the eastern part of the state is northern.  In 1860, I would have to say it was a southern state.

Politics in the eastern part of the state?

I'm from the eastern shore, and it's pretty much a red state over there, and far more southern than many places farther to the south.

And, as CavVet pointed out, it's south of the Mason-Dixon line.  Kinda settles that.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#15]
if you're from the north you think it's the south and vice versa.

Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:01:18 PM EDT
[#16]
No shit, I live in Frostburg. Small world huh?

I like to think of Maryland as a South state too, just checking other people's ideas.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I think Ohio has way more dixie in it than maryland, and we are a northern state.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Hey hey HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate MD...well, driving in it...freaken roadsigns LIE...well, they leave out pertinent facts.
ie: "Gas this Exit" should read "Gas this exit, 35 miles from the ramp, only open 1-2 AM and attendant Bubba doesn't take anything larger than a five dollar bill...."
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:07:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

And, as CavVet pointed out, it's south of the Mason-Dixon line.  Kinda settles that.

You can lead a horse ARFCOMER to water facts, but you cant make 'em take it.

Actually easy for me to remember, by the Pentagon story on shitters.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:09:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Having lived there for 24 of the 27 years of my life, escaping SOUTH to VA 3 years ago.  I have to say Maryland is a YANKEE state.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:10:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, I grew up in the westernmost county in Maryland, and graduated from Southern Garrett High School. Go Rams. The mountains have their own identity, in my opinion. I've seen people and places in the mountains of North Carolina that remind me more of western PA than central NC.

It's good to be a hillbilly.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:11:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Odd hybrid of both - but more Northern than Southern.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#23]
So is that a +1 for South?

I'm at Beall High. Neat to see that other people on here lived in the same area as me.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:15:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I always say its a border state.  But between the two choices it would have to be a Northern state.  

When I'm in New York state them Yankees seem to thing Maryland is deep south.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#25]
While there were many southern sympathizers in Baltimore, the vast majority of Marylanders were loyal to the Union.  Read any account of Lee's invasion of Maryland in 1862 and then in 1863.  Very few folks rallied to him.  Then compare the # of Marylanders who served the Union.   Case closed.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:17:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
SOUTH DAMNIT

You wish, Yankee!
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:20:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Technically speaking I thought it was a central state.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
SOUTH DAMNIT

You wish, Yankee!

Noooo, I won't listen to it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:24:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is true.  In Baltimore there is a hill just south of the inner harbor.  Federal trrops camped there while the city government was trying to decide to support the north or south.  The city decided to support the north due to the close proximity of the soldiers.

ETA:  The name Federal Hill came much earlier than that.  Link

Niko mentioned that on the Wire
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
SOUTH DAMNIT

Not bloody likely.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:25:04 PM EDT
[#31]
The rural areas want to be like Virginia, the urban areas want to be like DC.  And the urban areas control the legislature.  

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
SOUTH DAMNIT

Not bloody likely.

I guess you've never been to the state....Sure weve got out liberal areas and I damn well know youve got yours. Come visit Southern MD sometime or the Eastern Shore... its more southern that alot of the deep south.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
SOUTH DAMNIT

Not bloody likely.

I guess you've never been to the state....Sure weve got out liberal areas and I damn well know youve got yours. Come visit Southern MD sometime or the Eastern Shore... its more southern that alot of the deep south.

Again, not bloody likely.  I have a friend who is a retired Baltimore County cop and I have been there quite a few times.

Definitely a yankee state.  Besides, which side was MD on during the War Between the States?  Huh.

You have "yankee" gun laws.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:32:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Had slavery immediately prior to the War of Rebellion= Southern State.

If you go by state laws, PA is Southern. By gun laws, PA (home state) is more "Southern" than SC.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:33:57 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
SOUTH DAMNIT

Not bloody likely.

Again, not bloody likely.  I have a friend who is a retired Baltimore County cop and I have been there quite a few times.

Definitely a yankee state.  Besides, which side was MD on during the War Between the States?  Huh.

Again, thats baltimore. Its scummy, we all know that.

MD would have seceeded from the North if given the chance. That tyrant named Lincoln garrisoned too many federal troops and threatend to level baltimore if MD tried to seceed... do some research.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:35:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:36:55 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
The rural areas want to be like Virginia, the urban areas want to be like DC.  And the urban areas control the legislature.  

Kharn

Yep.
Harford County (where I reside) is referred to by many MDers as "Hazzard" County.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Technically, the Mason-Dixon line separated Maryland from Pennsylvania, dividing the traditional South from the traditional North.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:49:22 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
While there were many southern sympathizers in Baltimore, the vast majority of Marylanders were loyal to the Union.  Read any account of Lee's invasion of Maryland in 1862 and then in 1863.  Very few folks rallied to him.  Then compare the # of Marylanders who served the Union.   Case closed.

You history of those campaigns needs work.

Lee happened to go through perhaps the most Union oriented part of the state, as it had the least amount of slaves.  Still he was able to raise Confederate units to his cause (particularly in Westminster which should have been a Union stronghold).

Excuse me, but Marylanders who rallied to the South were a paltry few compared to those who fought for the North.  At least 6 full regiments of infantry served from 1862-1865.  This excludes those Potomac Brigade or 6 mo units.  The South had only 1 infantry regiment and after about a year, it was reduced to a battalion (2nd Maryland).  There was only 1 Maryland Cav. Regt & 1 batt in the ANV as opposed to 3 Fed. Maryland CAV. Units.  The same small numbers is also reflected in the artillery.  

Maryland was a Southern state.  For the Geographically challenged it's SOUTH of the Mason-Dixon line (the traditional demarkation between North/South).  For the Historically challenged it was a Slave State.  The only reason it didn't succeed was it's proximity to DC and the fact the Union got troops there so fast to prevent it's Capitol from being surrounded.  Otherwise you might have ended up with a situation similar to VA - where the eastern slave holding part of the state left the union - while the western part of the state stayed loyal to the North.

Yes, I'm aware that Maryland is south of the Mason-Dixon line and that it was a slaveholding state.  However, so was Washington, D. C. which also had slavery (though it was not a state but a district).   The question was whether Maryland was North or South.  In writing my response, I chose to address the loyalty of the state and the fact that the majority of Marylanders was anti-seccession.  

Let's not forget the mountainous regions of some Southern states that were definitely pro-Union.  West Virginia secceded.  East-Tennessee was largely loyal.  The Western Portion of North Carolina didn't particularly care to secede either.  In Georgia, at least one county established the Free State of Jones which wanted no part of the war.  Post-War Lost-Cause proponents would have us believe that all southerners were strongly loyal to the cause of seccesion, that there were few deserters (whereas its been estimated to have reached 100,000) in the South, that Lee was infalliable (whereas he squandered many lives at Malvern Hill and again at Gettysburg).  
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:52:54 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA:  The name Federal Hill came much earlier than that.  Link

Niko mentioned that on the Wire

Yep.  And several years ago Gee said it on Homicide.  Gee and somebody else were sitting on a park bench on Federal Hill.  Nice view of the city from there.  I took a pic from there a few years ago.  I'll look for it and post it.

Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#42]
I am fascinated by the apparent conventional wisdom here that states "northern" = urban / liberal and "southern" = rural / conservative.  Such an odd and twisted view of things.

Oh - and please don't post the infamous red / blue state map.  If you went county by county you would see that rural areas acorss the ocuntry predominately went with Bush, and urban areas with Kerry.  Interestingly, the groewth of the urban areas in the "north" - really started after the war.

There are plenty of "rednecks" in Montana, Oregon, Minnesota, etc. - but you would be hard pressed to call them "southern."

Oh, and the south chose to secede because a Republican was elected into office.  Now, the South is dominated by the Republican party.  Sounds like them Damn Yankees have taken over down there .
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Uh, the question is present tense.  Is it northern or southern, not was it.  It doesn't matter what side it was on in the American Civil War/"War of Northern Aggression"/"War of Rebellion."  What matters is where does it fall now.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:53:17 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Baltimore county - might as well been the city  - Very liberal place - like Atlanta or Dallas or New Orleans (all deep south LIBERAL cities).

Besides, which side was MD on during the War Between the States?  Huh.
It was bassically occupied Territory.  Unlike WV which is considered a southern state but sided with the North of it's own volition...Who considers WV a Southern state?  Not any Southerner.

Funny 'Yankee' gun laws all started south of the Mason-Dixon in an effort to keep slaves and former slaves from owning firearms.  It was the South that opened that door for the US.  I will also note the idea of Carrying legally w/o a permit open or concealed is a 'Yankee' concept that only 2 northern states follows - Vermont (a liberal VERY Yankee state) and Alaska.

I am well aware of the racist origin of gun laws as well as the racist origin of pot laws.  That was over 100 years ago.  The only states that still have such laws are yankee states. Yeah, blame gun laws on the South.  Again, look where the most stringent laws exist.

Alaska is not really a northern state, it is really more like a Southern state and the north can't really claim it.  Vermont is an exception, but look at the gun laws in MOST northern states with PA being another exception.  Now, compare those to the gun laws in MOST Southern states.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#45]
It is northern. Hell I think that Va is a northern state.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:56:35 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Baltimore county - might as well been the city  - Very liberal place - like Atlanta or Dallas or New Orleans (all deep south LIBERAL cities).

It was bassically occupied Territory.  Unlike WV which is considered a southern state but sided with the North of it's own volition...Who considers WV a Southern state?  Not any Southerner.

Funny 'Yankee' gun laws all started south of the Mason-Dixon in an effort to keep slaves and former slaves from owning firearms.  It was the South that opened that door for the US.  I will also note the idea of Carrying legally w/o a permit open or concealed is a 'Yankee' concept that only 2 northern states follows - Vermont (a liberal VERY Yankee state) and Alaska.

I am well aware of the racist origin of gun laws as well as the racist origin of pot laws.  That was over 100 years ago.  The only states that still have such laws are yankee states. Yeah, blame gun laws on the South.  Again, look where the most stringent laws exist.

Alaska is not really a northern state, it is really more like a Southern state and the north can't really claim it.  Vermont is an exception, but look at the gun laws in MOST northern states with PA being another exception.  Now, compare those to the gun laws in MOST Southern states.

The state closest to the North Pole is actually a Southern state
North Carolina has some pretty horrendous gun laws.
MD is, by and large, a very conservative state - the problem is us folks out in the sticks don't have much of a say about what laws get passed.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:58:09 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, all the more proof that the "southern" states are longer "southern."  One could argue that since Maryland is still dominated by Democrats and is a gun-grabbing mecca - it is the last "southern" state to keep the traditions alive.  The rest of the southern states have been infected with Yankee pragmatism, all while many northern states have become infected with leftist ideology.  The George Soros crowd would have fit in just fine with the Confederate propaganda machine of 1861.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 7:00:08 PM EDT
[#48]
This is the view looking north from Federal Hill.

It is 'stitched' together from several shots.

Link Posted: 10/16/2006 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
The state closest to the North Pole is actually a Southern state
North Carolina has some pretty horrendous gun laws.
MD is, by and large, a very conservative state - the problem is us folks out in the sticks don't have much of a say about what laws get passed.

Yup
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 7:10:57 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey hey HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate MD...well, driving in it...freaken roadsigns LIE...well, they leave out pertinent facts.
ie: "Gas this Exit" should read "Gas this exit, 35 miles from the ramp, only open 1-2 AM and attendant Bubba Mohammed on second thought I'll call him Kweisi Mfume doesn't take anything larger than a five dollar bill...."

Fixed it for you.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top