Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 10/16/2006 12:03:40 PM EDT
Inspired by the M1 vs M14 thread:

The one myth that drive me nuts is:   "The M1 Garand cannot be topped off or tactically reloaded."

This is of coarse UNTRUE, as the garand can be topped off with the clip still in the rifle or you can simply hit the clip ejection button and load a fresh clip.  

Second would be "cop killer" bullets.
Has a SINGLE cop ever been killed by one?  

What myths drive you crazy?
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:04:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Wouldn't any bullet that killed a cop be a cop killer?
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:04:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Assault Rifles - just the "term" annoys me

Also, when so-called "assault rifles" are discussed, in one breath "they" say the guns are high-powered military caliber guns designed for war; yet in another breath they claim the guns are underpowered and not even worthy of being used for hunting.

The 50!!! It is the ultimate "sniper" weapon, capable of bringing down an aircraft at 30,000 feet!!

The term "automatic" - which has been misapplied to handguns and rifles on a near daily basis.

Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#4]
#6 bird shot is a perfect self-defense load.
(against birds)
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:08:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted: file down the firing pin to make it full auto. Of course, nobody knows HOW that would make anything full auto.

I've always had to laugh at this bullshit claim.

Sure thing, buddy... go right ahead and file down that firing pin!!!
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:08:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh, I don't know.  Maybe:

1.  It's easy to shoot locks off

2.  Sheetrock walls will easily stop bullets

3.  Metal home doors will stop bullets

4.  Buckshot from a shotgun will "sweep a hallway" and kill everyone in it

5.  Birdshot is great for defense

6.  Pistols are just about a powerful as rifles

7.  Snakeloads are great for personal defense against bad guys

Just to name a few.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:10:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Media reporters always calling SKS's  AK47's.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:10:54 PM EDT
[#8]
what pisses me off the most is when people think games like CounterStrike accurately represent real weapon performances. I've actually had to argue with a friend who kept on insisting an AK was soooo much more accurate than an M4, because according to him, "you can get headshots so easily with an AK, but the m4 just sprays everywhere."

Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I was at the fishing store the other day which also has a couple guns behind the counter asking the owner about a concealed carry gun when an old timer on my side of the counter interjected with the following.

He only shoots silver tips in his gun because they explode as soon as they hit anything.  

He only shoots a .380 caliber because the muzzle flash of anything bigger will blind you after the first shot.  

He also has another pistol setup with a scope that shoots so well the bullet only drops 2 inches at 100 yards.  

The bullshit was strong with that one.  I just said "Oh really, and continued on my way."
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:11:26 PM EDT
[#10]
JHP---cop killer bullets.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:11:43 PM EDT
[#11]
"the gun went off"

that has to be my most hated line.....

Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
file down the firing pin to make it full auto.
Of course, nobody knows HOW that would make anything full auto.

My brother-in-law still believes this myth.

Even after I showed him the inside of my Bushmaster, and asked how it would be mechanically possible. He didn't know, but still claims it's possible.

I gave up

The myth I hate:

.357 will crack an engine block.

I haven't shot an engine block with my S&W .357...but I highly doubt that it is possible
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:14:37 PM EDT
[#13]
"Etch a cross/x/star in the tip of the bullet to make it expand/explode."  Had a Marine tell me that one.

Tumbling 5.56 bullets.  Doesn't help to dispel the myth when one of my AR keyholes 62gr SS109.

.50BMG is so powerful, you could kill/maim/injure a person even with a miss.

Cycling the slide on the shotgun will make a bad guy shit himself and run away scared if he hears it.

Those are my favorite.

Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Glocks used with the word Ka-Boom
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:15:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Not a myth, but the "shoot to wound" argument.

You know, the one where a perp is killed by the evil po-lice and everyone says he was a choirboy, honor student and the po-lice could have just shot him in the leg or the hand.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:17:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
what pisses me off the most is when people think games like CounterStrike accurately represent real weapon performances. I've actually had to argue with a friend who kept on insisting an AK was soooo much more accurate than an M4, because according to him, "you can get headshots so easily with an AK, but the m4 just sprays everywhere."

Hahahahaah. The AK...the headshot machine!

I prefer the m4 over the AK and find it more accurate in CS:S.

O and the suppressor on the m4 makes it more accurate and makes a cool "phew" sound. What! Gawd I love DLing new weapons for the game!
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
file down the firing pin to make it full auto.
Of course, nobody knows HOW that would make anything full auto.

And I would like to see the file that will cut a firing pin.  They are very hard and only SiC, WC or diamond will cut them.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:19:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Those "Class - C" (NFA class 3?) are just an open invite to have the BATF come kick your door down at 3:00AM to do an "inspection" because if they come to your house to inspect that machine gun you have already waived your rights of search and seizure, they can just kick your door down and come right on in..."

Heard at the local gun store last Saturday, I swear to God.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Assault Rifle,,,, WTF is that what defines that,,,just a question
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:21:26 PM EDT
[#20]
The M16 was originally made by Mattel.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:21:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Just to name a few.

If only there was a brilliant old man who had the time to prove all of these things wrong.  Perhaps with a sidekick with a good camera.

- BG
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:22:00 PM EDT
[#22]
you cant miss with a shotgun, just point it and pull the trigger

Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:22:11 PM EDT
[#23]
.22s will bounce around inside your head and turn your brain to mush!
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:22:44 PM EDT
[#24]
"The reason why the 5.56mm round is so deadly, is that it enters your shoulder and exits your knee, is the .223 like that" -USA boot in a gun shop in his cammies looking at civi AR's.

If it aint a bolt action rifle, it is a Machine Gun.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:23:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Wolf Ammo will ruin your weapon
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm constantly dispeling this...

"It's a semi-auto asualt rifle... you don't even have to aim."

Drives me crazy
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#27]
One phrase !

"Armor Piercing Bullets" .

On the Hollywood shootout video ,they repeat that
phrase OVER AND OVER .

Think about it !

If a cop wearing Level II soft body armor ,
was shot with a  RIFLE round,
would it really matter if the bullet was
a steel core FMJ  ?

I think if I was the cop,I'd rather have a wound from
a steel core FMJ than a wound from a pointed soft point.

Either way ,it would go through soft body armor like butter.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
"Etch a cross/x/star in the tip of the bullet to make it expand/explode."  Had a Marine tell me that one.

Oh, I hate that one. A friend called such a round a "dumdum" or some such bullshit. It does no good to argue with these guys.

Let's see here:
1. File the sear
2. Rack the shotgun
3. .357 fired at the trunk will go all the way through the car and punch a hole in the engine block (one of my personal favorites)
4. .45 is too slow. You can step out of the way (theoretically true at 100 yds, I suppose but sheesh...you fist.)
5. .22 has killed more deer than any other round, therefore it's the perfect SHTF caliber.
6. First shell in the shotgun should be salt as a deterrent. Don't wanna kill him.
7. Actualy, the whole "progressivly worse" shell order thing is fucking retarted, now that I think about it.
8. Don't need to aim a shotgun.
9. Made by Mattel.
10. Designed to wound, because it takes more guys out of the fight...yada...yada...(Oh, how I hate this one).

Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:26:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Hollow point bullets, suppressors and machine guns are illegal.

I just love that.  Someone says someone was shot with a hollow point and they say it's illegal.

I just love when I am shooting with a suppressor and I get asked if it's legal.  I really want to respond, Nope, illegal as all heck, cops can even shoot me on sight for having it, but I have never seen cops at this range.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

That technique (well, not etching, but cutting with a sharp knife) was actually used by some troops in WWI and WWII - it was a way of getting pseudo-JHP performance from ball ammo.

I have no idea if it really worked -- maybe the next thing for OP to take a look at
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#31]
"The AK-47 could shoot our ammo." (meaning 7.62 NATO)
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:27:56 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Media reporters always calling everything  AK47's.

fixed.

Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, I hate that one. A friend called such a round a "dumdum" or some such bullshit. It does no good to argue with these guys.

Let's see here:
1. File the sear
2. Rack the shotgun
3. .357 fired at the trunk will go all the way through the car and punch a hole in the engine block (one of my personal favorites)
4. .45 is too slow. You can step out of the way (theoretically true at 100 yds, I suppose but sheesh...you fist.)
5. .22 has killed more deer than any other round, therefore it's the perfect SHTF caliber.
6. First shell in the shotgun should be salt as a deterrent. Don't wanna kill him.
7. Actualy, the whole "progressivly worse" shell order thing is fucking retarted, now that I think about it.
9. Made by Mattel.
10. Designed to wound, because it takes more guys out of the fight...yada...yada...(Oh, how I hate this one).

Wow....who the hell came up with that?
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:28:17 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That technique (well, not etching, but cutting with a sharp knife) was actually used by some troops in WWI and WWII - it was a way of getting pseudo-JHP performance from ball ammo.

I have no idea if it really worked -- maybe the next thing for OP to take a look at

I'll go ahead and dispell that one right here and now. It doesn't do shit.

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Just to name a few.

all these scenarios sound so familiar... like ive seen them tested somewhere.
weird.

Though i see there was something about shooting through an engine on here... any box of truth for that?
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:30:28 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Not a myth, but the "shoot to wound" argument.

You know, the one where a perp is killed by the evil po-lice and everyone says he was a choirboy, honor student and the po-lice could have just shot him in the leg or the hand.

wasn't there a thread recently where some state had a bill come up where the police would be required to "shoot-to-wound" first?

...actually, i think it was NY...

if i were a cop and they passed that shit, i'd be a retired cop that afternoon.

Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let's see here:
1. File the sear
2. Rack the shotgun
9. Made by Mattel.

Older buddy in California primarily responsible for getting me interested in guns in the first place. Earliest lesson learned?

Being a gun owner for 30+ years doesn't necessarily mean you have the slightest idea what you're talkiing about.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:30:43 PM EDT
[#38]
There have been no significant advances in pistol designs since the 1911.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#39]
CHINESE guns are JUNK GUNS!

this is an original Russian SKS, no Chinese junk sold here!

Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:33:46 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just to name a few.

weird.

Though i see there was something about shooting through an engine on here... any box of truth for that?

The Engine Block O' Truth.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#41]
"Pistol grips make it easier to spray fire from the hip"
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Guns kill.  As if they wander the streets by themselve targeting hapless victims.

There is a bumper sticker that reads "It's the guns, stupid!"  I believe put out by the Brady bunch.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:34:50 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

weird.

Nope, but not because I didn't want to.

I racked my brain on how I could get an engine block to the range, shoot it with various rounds, then haul it back to the junk yard.

It would take a flat bed trailer, a lift, etc, and I'd have to be sure not to cause any damage to the range.

But, bottom line, it's just too much trouble and expense and those of us that have shot engine blocks with the .357 Magnum already know the answer.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:35:01 PM EDT
[#44]
GUNS KILL PEOPLE
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:35:42 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

saltrock, it's been used for many, many, many years
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:35:56 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
There have been no significant advances in pistol designs since the 1911.  

Or, just because something is based on a/the 1911, it is using outdated technology.  Because, you know, there have been no advances to 1911-style pistols since, like, 1911.  And stuff....
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:37:20 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

saltrock, it's been used for many, many, many years

Actually, I saw on History Channel the other day that people started using it during the depression to turn away men desperate for work when they would come around begging for money/food and wouldn't take no for an answer.

My most hated gun myth:

"Knockdown Power"
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

weird.

Nope, but not because I didn't want to.

I racked my brain on how I could get an engine block to the range, shoot it with various rounds, then haul it back to the junk yard.

It would take a flat bed trailer, a lift, etc, and I'd have to be sure not to cause any damage to the range.

But, bottom line, it's just too much trouble and expense and those of us that have shot engine blocks with the .357 Magnum already know the answer.

I've moved many an engine block. It takes a pickup and a hoist (folds up neatly and goes with you in the truck, even).

Still, there really isn't much point. I'm pretty sure we all realize that a .357 won't punch holes in a cast iron engine block. Pretty sure. Then again, this is one pervasive myth...
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:39:16 PM EDT
[#49]
There's so much BS out there, I don't know where to start.

I've actually had a "Letter to the Editor" of mine printed in the local paper once.  I had enough of their "semi-automatic machine gun" descriptions.  Their rebuttal was that they were only parrotting what they heard from the wire services.    Was only nineteen years-old at the time.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:40:44 PM EDT
[#50]
The one that pisses me off the most is that more stringent gun laws will cut down on violent crime.

When are they gonna learn that criminals don't give a flying fuck about the law. Thats why they're criminals!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top