Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2001 1:26:05 PM EDT
Right from the Comm News Network.  A lady called her husband on the cell phone.  They herded everyone and the pilots to the rear of the plane.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Was wondering what the hijackers used, and somewhat expected knives.  But would have expected the pilots were killed, not herded.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 1:36:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Less panic if they don't kill anyone until they need too.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 1:40:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Some dude I know couldn't believe people were willing to die for their beliefs.  Referring to the terrorists.

I said, "where the hell have you been"?
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I said, "where the hell have you been"?
View Quote

[grenade]
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#5]
It distresses me to NO END that a planeful of Americans could not overpower terrorists armed with knives and boxcutters. We have become VERY complacent.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 2:50:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It distresses me to NO END that a planeful of Americans could not overpower terrorists armed with knives and boxcutters. We have become VERY complacent.
View Quote

i think complacent is applicable in other areas, but hardly a sentence to hand down to ANY person who's life is in immediate danger.  while we'd all like to think that we'd do what we can to stop this from happening, we really don't know what we'd do.  and monday morning quarterbacking is really unfair.

most americans aren't knowledgable on the really killing capacity of any weapon, or the logistics of using that weapon to kill.  they see a weapon and that's all they care about.  the primal fear is a hard instinct to overcome.  it hardly means that any are cowards or unpatriotic.  most would choose flight over fight anyway.  i for one would probably have dropped a load in my pants and started bawling.  does that make me complacent, cowardly, unpatriotic?  no, just scared shitless.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 2:55:05 PM EDT
[#7]
CNN was refering to someweapon on the plane that hit he pentagon that "resembled a knife"  I cannot hold those on the plane responsible for not acting... how could they have known the intent of the Sh*theads that hijacked em?

If You knew the plane was intended to hit and kill 50plusK people I'd for one hope that anyone would act and try to overpower the terrorists.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#8]
ARlady, please do not take this the wrong way. But NO EXCUSE. If I was on the plane, especially with loved ones, I would engage them at first opportunity barehanded. I would do it prepared to die and try and take out as many as possible before I am no longer capable. I would hope not to be alone.

If the terrorist had firearms, that would be different. They would have one round for every passenger and attack would be pointless. But an entire planeload of people COULD have overpowered terrorists aremed with knives.

I hope future fliers learn this hard lesson. Dying at the hands of a terrorist while fighting them is ultimately better than having front row seats to the impact.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 2:59:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

roughly the same thing was said about the kids at columbine. and it is indeed distressing to think people percieve themselves as so helpless.

what's more disgusting is that it to many it's probably better to die while following a terrorists instructions than to resist and get hurt...or be held liable for the consequences of resisting.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#10]
A single handgun in that cockpit could have ended this before it even happen. Time to bring back Air Marshals.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 3:08:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
ARlady, please do not take this the wrong way. But NO EXCUSE. If I was on the plane, especially with loved ones, I would engage them at first opportunity barehanded. I would do it prepared to die and try and take out as many as possible before I am no longer capable. I would hope not to be alone.

If the terrorist had firearms, that would be different. They would have one round for every passenger and attack would be pointless. But an entire planeload of people COULD have overpowered terrorists aremed with knives.

I hope future fliers learn this hard lesson. Dying at the hands of a terrorist while fighting them is ultimately better than having front row seats to the impact.
View Quote

i understand YOUR point of view, but i don't think you can condemn (or judge) others for doing something differently.  i know you meant no harm.  i too think it's sad that this happened the way it did.  but there is nothing like fear to immobilize a person.  and we are a rare breed of american.  we have thought about bad things and that alone makes us better prepared to face it.  those who live in la-la land are much different.  and there are so many more factors contributing to their mindset than just themselves.

it's like those silly girls on the weddingchannel.  some of them just do not know that there is an alternative to their views.  they don't know any better.  the student cannot be blamed for not being taught, only for not learning.

i'm not excusing them.  but i really think that all those "sheeple" think that the education (in every sense of the word) they get is a good one.  they see nothing in their life that contradicts it.  and the blame goes far beyond them for that.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 3:10:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#13]
[b]What if[/b], the cockpit was sealed off totally from the remainder of the cabin, with no means of entry/exit. The cockpit crew would enter and exit through a separate access door.

Would this be a practical idea? I mean how often do flight stewards HAVE to enter the cockpit to fly the plane for a stricken crew?

Eric The(YouCouldn'tForceAirCrewToOpenCockpitUnderAnyCircumstances)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 3:32:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

This is a sign of the times. Sheeple expect someone else to make it all better.

View Quote

I agree.

If the terrorist were indeed armed ONLY with knives, I believe this should have been averted.

Would I be frightened?  Hell, yeah, but if you're on a plane getting hijacked, you have a good chance of dying, no matter whether the hijack is successful or not.  If the bad guys have only knives, I think I could find something to improvise as a weapon in a pinch.

How many times has someone been murdered or raped in front of others as the witnesses walked on about their business.  This is the same thing, but on a much larger scale.

Few people today are willing to die to save others, thinking someone else will come to the rescue.

I don't blame the victims in the plane, since society has been telling us to comply with the bad gun, or run and call the police, but it's just such a heartbreaking situation...
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 3:37:07 PM EDT
[#15]
You could use your seat cushion as proteection from a blade.  Then you can body slam the terrorist and pile on...
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It distresses me to NO END that a planeful of Americans could not overpower terrorists armed with knives and boxcutters.
View Quote

[b]That ain't what happened!!!![/b]
It can't be! If there was even ONE American Man on board, he would have given his life killing those scum with his bare hands!!!
The highjackers probably strangled the crew or something and kept everything quiet. I'll bet none of the passengers knew what was happening. BECAUSE IF THERE WAS ONE AMERICAN MAN ONBOARD THAT KNEW WHAT WAS HAPPENING, THOSE TERRORISTS WOULD BE DEAD!!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 3:47:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
BECAUSE IF THERE WAS ONE AMERICAN MAN ONBOARD THAT KNEW WHAT WAS HAPPENING, THOSE TERRORISTS WOULD BE DEAD!!!
View Quote

That's what I'd like to believe, but sadly, American 'men' aren't what they used to be.

Link Posted: 9/11/2001 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It distresses me to NO END that a planeful of Americans could not overpower terrorists armed with knives and boxcutters.
View Quote

[b]That ain't what happened!!!![/b]
It can't be! If there was even ONE American Man on board, he would have given his life killing those scum with his bare hands!!!
The highjackers probably strangled the crew or something and kept everything quiet. I'll bet none of the passengers knew what was happening. BECAUSE IF THERE WAS ONE AMERICAN MAN ONBOARD THAT KNEW WHAT WAS HAPPENING, THOSE TERRORISTS WOULD BE DEAD!!!
View Quote

A few of them actually called loved ones and told them what happened. If I was in that plane, hell yes I would try to stop them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 3:52:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Of course all of us have had the whole day to watch the tradgedy unfold.
None of those passengers had a clue as to what was going to happen.
Sure, if I knew my actions might prevent a huge loss of life, I would have been fighting with anything available.
Unfortunately none of those onboard the planes had the benefit of our hindsight.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 3:55:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A single handgun in that cockpit could have ended this before it even happen. Time to bring back Air Marshals.
View Quote

Bulk heads?

Why can’t they put the same level of protection in an airplane flight deck that they use at the local 7-11?  Or even better, a pressure bulkhead between the flight deck and the passenger compartment.  If the passengers get squirrelly let the air out until they settle down.

Link Posted: 9/11/2001 4:01:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Maybe if Concealed Weapons were allowed on US Aircraft the terrorists could be more easily controlled?
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 4:04:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I could understand just cowering and waiting during a hijacking with guns, not with knives.  Because some hijackings, such as in miami a couple years ago, are just refugees trying to get somewhere, and have no intention of kidnapping, or crashing.  But the news stated that they took over the planes, and sent everyone, including the pilots, to the back of the plane.  That should have let anyone know they were a suicide plane.  The only reason they would have their own pilots is if they were planning on doing something they knew a gun to the pilots head coupled with the threat of the passengers deaths, would still not be enough to make an airline pilot obey their command.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 4:32:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm no tough guy and maybe it's because I was in the military for 8 years, but I travel with a pair of Kevlar sap gloves and my ASP baton. I can't believe that those people were such sheep...I would have taken a few cuts and bashed their f-ing heads in! What has happened to us (Americans)? We used to be the brash no-nonsense types…
View Quote

I agree,

I think people who are not trained freeze in a situation.  I think that is why the Israelis and Swiss are on the right track with mandatory service.  My fear is jumping up to retake the plane and having the sheep stay put.  When I fly I sit in an aisle near the back of the plane and try to figure who would be willing to help.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 4:35:52 PM EDT
[#25]
If I knew I was going to die, at least I would have tried to stop them.  

I would rather die trying to save myself, than just sit and be sheeple, and be killed anyways.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Lot's of big talk guys.  Put yourself into the mind of the people on the plane.  They did not know the terrorist's plans.  If you knew that the plane was going to be used to topple the world trade center, then, of course, you would sacrifice your life trying to stop it.  If you just thought the terrorists were trying to make a statement or hitch a ride to Cuba, as many hijackings in the past have turned out, then it isn't worth your life to stop it.  You guys are making statements based upon knowledge that simply wasn't available to people on the plane.z
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Zoom's got it right. Talk is cheap. BTW, how many of you have ever gone up against a blade?
Even if trained, chances are you are going to get cut before you take him out. From now on, however, any middle eastern looking dudes pulling box cutters on a plane I am on are going to be in for a fight to the death.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 5:25:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
From now on, however, any middle eastern looking dudes pulling box cutters on a plane I am on are going to be in for a fight to the death.
View Quote

I was thinking something similar. I imagine it will be a lot harder to hijack a plane with a knife from now on.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#29]
The plane take-overs happened very soon after take-off.  
I want to believe everyone thought they had time to act.
I want to believe the pilot of the plane that crashed near Pittsburgh took her into the ground or the passengers did act and prevented the White House, Congress or Camp David from being hit.
I want to believe these things because the alternative is too ......unbearable.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#30]
The whole thing is such a Goddamn tragedy, that is hard to think rationally about it.

We are taught from day one to be passive in the face of violence.  We are taught that a violent response is unacceptable.

Run away, Negotiate, Wait for the authorities to arrive.  Well, what about those situations where surrender is not an option.

Maybe this will shock people out of their complacency.  Then again, maybe not.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 6:06:32 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm with Zoom on this one.

The passengers and crew probably never knew what the terrorists were really up to.

Speculation:  Perhaps the passengers on UA 93 figured it out and tried to take the plane back and the terrorists simply crashed the aircraft.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 6:14:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm with Zoom on this one.

The passengers and crew probably never knew what the terrorists were really up to.

Speculation:  Perhaps the passengers on UA 93 figured it out and tried to take the plane back and the terrorists simply crashed the aircraft.
View Quote

Yeah, like he said.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top