Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2006 7:42:35 AM EDT
I was talking with a guy near camp pendelton and he said alot of military guys can make some pretty good money working at san onofre nuclear power plant.  Seems like the money is in the 20-30 buck an hour range.

Any idea how I can get any information on applying, I cannot find anything online.

How much training do they put you through, what kind of qualifications or security  clearances are they looking for?

thanks
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 7:56:06 AM EDT
[#1]
damn with all the ninjas on this board and no reply... Wow I was at least expecting some smart ass comments.
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 7:57:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Usually you'll need more than 15 minutes for a response.
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 7:58:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Visited a nuke once when I was working engineering for a turbine repair company.

Security looked very serious there with several armed guys watching your stuff go thru the scanner & another in an armored booth.

otoh, once we were in, after our contact showed us the turbine, we were alone for a couple hours.
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 7:59:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Nuke? Don't they make shoe bombs.
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 8:00:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Ninja IM sent!
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 8:01:40 AM EDT
[#6]
DoE's security is top notch and now equiped with a dozen plus Dillon Aero Minigun setups to protect from air assaults.  I also remember seeing a 60 Minutes a few moons ago about how the SEALs and Delta Force do training raids on the plants to test the DoEs readiness.
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 8:03:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 8:06:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I know a guy that works at one, he's on here, but I can't remember his name.
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 8:12:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I interviewed for an Engineering job at a nuke plant once. Security was pretty tight - they had security guys roaming around the works with M4s on their back. Appeared to have no mag and bolt closed on a flag in the chamber, though, and I don't know if they were full-auto. Those guys just walked around the place, though. The security guys you actually interacted with just had Berettas in thigh holsters. Yeah, I guess I'm a gun nut. I think they were contractors, rather then plant employees, though I don't know with who.

As to how to get a job there, I don't know exactly. I suspect that their manpower needs are modest enough that they can get all the people they need through word of mouth and direct recruiting. It might take some creativity to apply there. You may have to ask around until you find someone who worked there or knows someone who works there and try to get a contact through them. Or maybe see if any of the big security contracting companies know anything about it. Do you have a guy/place/event or something at the base to find jobs for people getting out of the millitary? They might know about it or be able to help.
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 8:30:49 AM EDT
[#10]
height=8
Quoted:
I was talking with a guy near camp pendelton and he said alot of military guys can make some pretty good money working at san onofre nuclear power plant.  Seems like the money is in the 20-30 buck an hour range.

Any idea how I can get any information on applying, I cannot find anything online.

How much training do they put you through, what kind of qualifications or security  clearances are they looking for?

thanks

I work security at Vermont Yankee. Top pay here is a little over 18 bucks an hour. The pay scale will depend a lot on cost of living in your particular area. Currently there seems to be plenty of overtime so you can make up quite a bit (though I've heard rumor thats soon to changehe
As for training, you won't be asked to do anything more than you did in the military.

Good luck.
Howard
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 8:32:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks

I work security at Vermont Yankee. Top pay here is a little over 18 bucks an hour. The pay scale will depend a lot on cost of living in your particular area. Currently there seems to be plenty of overtime so you can make up quite a bit (though I've heard rumor thats soon to change).

If you want to apply, try driving up to the front gate. As the guard for an app. or for an address where you can send your resume. We don't bite, we're just regular guys like you. I'm sure they'll be happy to give you the information you need.

As for training, you won't be asked to do anything more than you did in the military.

Good luck.
Howard

thanks atomic glock,
Do I have to go through an academy or anything like that?

and are you guys contractors or security in house?

thanks!
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I work Security at Calvert Cliffs. My hourly rate is around $26 an hour but there is alot of OT and some of it is paid at double time rate. Not to mention we get a fat bonus every year based on our company performance. Most of the force is former military, we have some former cops but I find that they have a hard time coping with the confinment and often last less than a year.

We have alot of continuous training and qaulify 4 times a year with firearms and the same with drills, one drill a year is a force on force using MILES gear. Every 3 years a specalized team( the CAF team) comes and does a Force on Force drill to test your plants defensive sratagey.

I know the pay varies alot depending on where you are at so........

IM me if you want more info. I'll tell you everything I am allowed to.
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 10:06:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I used to work at our local nuke plant years ago, pre 9-11. I still have friends there including my brother. A couple of years ago they got a visit from our Congressman and some other dignitaries, supposedly unannounced. They were there specifically to see the plants security. The muck-a-mucks were quite impressed with the allertness and quick response of the security forces. Too bad it was all a set up. The plant managers informed security of the visit and together they put on quite the dog and pony show.

In a real test of the plant's security, a SEAL team did try to breach the plants defenses. Their mock attack was completely unannounced except in the most general terms (like sometime this month). It was ridiculously easy for the SEALS. They simply created a diversion on one side of the plant and quickly entered undetected on the other side.  They were in the control room before anyone knew what was going on.

I feel safe. Do you feel safe?
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 12:12:43 PM EDT
[#14]
As of a few years ago (pre-911), Wackenhut did security at the nearby Clinton, IL nuke plant.

I got a personal and private tour of the place by the guy (fellow gunner) who was in charge of the refueling operation underway at the time, with unlimited access including inside the reactor (the day before it was closed up and the start up process begun).  The thing I noticed were all of the pre-positioned cover positions that would be used by the defenders (the Wackenhut people) in event of an armed attack throughout the complex.

My guide said that the security there was mostly just a deterrent.  Short of a truckload of explosives, he said, there wasn't really too much a few guys with AKs could do there that would seriously jeopardize the public.

My read on the security I saw:  A couple of seriously overweight guys (350+) stood out in my mind.  Others seemed like average folks - not ex-mil or ex-cop by any means and not as spiffy in dress as compared to your typical police officers.  About eight to ten on duty. Most were wearing $5 gun show holsters and other inexpensive, sometimes ill-fitting gear.  Sidearms must have been personally owned as they weren't standard.  IIRC, I saw several Ruger 9's, some Berettas and maybe a couple of Glocks.  No long guns were seen, although my guide assured me fully auto toys like ARs and MP5s were close by.  They were professional enough.  Wouldn't call 'em wannabe mall ninjas, but they weren't as squared away as I'm used to seeing police officers around here.

I seem to remember them advertising in the local paper for officers.  I think the pay started at 17-19K (several years ago) - about 2/3rds as much as cops started at back then.

John
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 3:36:40 PM EDT
[#15]
At Beaver Valley Power Station guards start at $10/hr unarmed and $12/hr armed.
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 3:51:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

That sounds a lot more believable than $26 an hr.
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That sounds a lot more believable than $26 an hr.

LOL, WTF would like to see my W2? Or if you like I can give you the phone number to our personell dept. we are hiring so you could call an inquire as if you wanted a job.

You have to remember what area in the country you are talking about. TN is alot lower cost of living then the D.C. Metro area or Southern California, like the OP was asking about. Also a proprietary force like ours in general do alot better than contract security such as Whackenhut.

BTW those mock SEAL attacks are total BS. Yes there are FOF drills, no they do not involve SEALS. Think about it. You are saying that a group of SEALs are attacking a Nuke power plant unannonced while the on-shift response force has live weapons. Come on. Nuke power plants have sophisticated intrusion detection systems. Any breech of the perimeter is going to sound alarms which in turn respond ARMED personell.

This same BS story has been asked of me several times by numerous visiting contracters. The people that go around and attack nuke power plants to test them are known as the CAF team. (Composite Advesary Force) they are a team that work for Whackenhut and are trained in advesary tactics and all they do is go around and attack Nuke power plants in announced drills using MILES. Here you can read about it for yourself here.

CAF
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#18]
One of my ex-brothers-in-law is a Nuclear Engineer and was working at a nuke plant under construction in Illinois. The engineering company had their own office at the plant. He said that on regular work days, you'd see the occasional armed guards, but not really notice them. They got a notice that there was going to be some on-site security training exercises coming up, but the date of the exercises was several weeks later than when they got the notice. He kind of forgot about it. So one Sunday, he decides to go in to the office to get caught up on some paperwork and stuff - the day of the "security exercise." The gate guard told him to just go about his business and don't mind the security guys. So there he is, wearing shorts and a t-shirt, doing his thing while all these guys in BDUs with machine guns are running around doing Ninja/SEAL/Delta/SSDG shit. He said it was very surreal.
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 5:06:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
DoE's security is top notch and now equiped with a dozen plus Dillon Aero Minigun setups to protect from air assaults.  I also remember seeing a 60 Minutes a few moons ago about how the SEALs and Delta Force do training raids on the plants to test the DoEs readiness.

DoE doesn'tr protect Nuke Plants.. Thats the NRC..

As for the statement in general though Blackmagic is right on all accounts.

If you are looking for good training and not bad pay then go the DoE SRT route.  I loved it.  From the people I've talked to difference in Doe to NRC is HUGE!

Link Posted: 10/12/2006 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Here is a video that some of you with questions should watch. It is on the safety and security of the countries Nuke plants.

Yes at one time nuke plant security force consisted of a few fat guards and a couple of six shooters but times have changed big time.

Our PT for example is tougher than the LLEA and we have to complete it every year in order to be a responder unlike most PD's which only require an inital PT for regular patrol cops.

Video
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 4:30:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I work at Pilgrim station.  Our pay is $20 and you get overtime after 8 hours. We work for Wackenhut but will be going in house to Entergy in January.  The benefits are so so.  The firearm/CQB training is top notch but the PT is a joke.  If you can walk a 1/2 mile in 10 minutes your good to go.  90% of the force is comprised of military/part-time LEO/Deputies/Corrections/Prior security. They do have very strict background and psych investigations so if you have a questionable background do not apply.  Their hiring practices are backwards compared to LLEA.  We do the backgrounds,clearances,medical while in training .  We had people two weeks into training, get shit canned because there were discrepencies in their psych eval or background checks....this is after they already quit their prior employment.  In a LLEA everything is completed prior to the academy.  If you state you are in school, dont apply either since they will not hire you because they need you for overtime if it needs to be filled. There is a of downtime here and it can get boring so be prepared...u may like it at first like i did, (my old job was patroling and serving warrants all the time), but it gets old fast.  Like any job you have your clicks and rumors here too. We have a lot of toys and a lot of ammo so if you are looking to hop the fence be prepared to reap the whirlwind.  The CAF and adversary teams didnt stand a chance here.  Hope this helps
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 4:35:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I work at Pilgrim station.  Our pay is $20 and you get overtime after 8 hours. We work for Wackenhut but will be going in house to Entergy in January.  The benefits are so so.  The firearm/CQB training is top notch but the PT is a joke.  If you can walk a 1/2 mile in 10 minutes your good to go.  90% of the force is comprised of military/part-time LEO/Deputies/Corrections/Prior security. They do have very strict background and psych investigations so if you have a questionable background do not apply.  Their hiring practices are backwards compared to LLEA.  We do the backgrounds,clearances,medical while in training .  We had people two weeks into training, get shit canned because there were discrepencies in their psych eval or background checks....this is after they already quit their prior employment.  In a LLEA everything is completed prior to the academy.  If you state you are in school, dont apply either since they will not hire you because they need you for overtime if it needs to be filled. There is a of downtime here and it can get boring so be prepared...u may like it at first like i did, patroling and serving warrants, but it gets old fast.  Like any job you have your clicks and rumors here too. We have a lot of toys and a lot of ammo so if you are looking to hop the fence be prepared to reap the whirlwind.  The CAF and adversary teams didnt stand a chance here.  Hope this helps

serving warrants?
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 5:12:45 PM EDT
[#23]
i have a brother in-law works security at nuke plant in cordova IL.
no prior service
i think pay around 15 hourly
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Starts around $16 here at fermi.
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#25]
DOE guys make decent money and get great training. If you can stand the boredom (yes it's fucking boring sometimes all the time) it's a pretty good job.

No idea on civilian nuke stuff.
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#26]

I work for the parent company of some of the Nukes mentioned here . My experience
at River Bend Station, leaves me with a mixed opinion . Some of the guys were very professional and a couple of the women needed to be thrown out on their ass .
 One day , as I was passing through the metal detectors , There was a VERY large white woman leaning on her M4 . The muzzle break was on the concrete floor and she was propped up on the buttplate . No excuse for that shit . Later that day , I saw a little black girl ( about 90 lbs ) walking across a parking lot . She was packing an M4 , a handgun , a small backpack , lunchbox , huge wad of keys ,  etc . Not very intimidating .  WACKENHUT , I believe .
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

thanks
Try contacting Southern California Edison. They run the plant there at San Onofre.  

Probably have to have at least a Secret Clearance.  

I know several people that work there (all retired Marines) but never got into the specifics of the quals.
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 7:16:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Securitas Security Services USA (it's a Swedish company) has a lot of contracts, mostly in the South Eastern US I believe.
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 8:07:32 PM EDT
[#29]
In the Oak Rigde area--Wackenhut employs for local DOE ORNL, Y12, K25 plants.

Start pay is $18.xx/hr top end is $22ish.  I know a handful out there--they read a lot!

They do get to shoot often for pay...
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 9:43:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Semi off topic but, but about my involvement with nuke plant security...  I worked at a nuke plant while I was in college.  Late one evening we were doing some sort of pressurization test on the reactor building.  It involved a lot of going in and out of the reactor building.  One time I swiped my access card to leave the building, did whatever I needed to do outside, and the door never closed behind me so I went back in...  without swiping my access card to get back in.  A few minutes later I tried to swipe my card to go into the control room which is IN the reactor building.  Since the security system thought I was outside the reactor building and not in it, it apparently threw an alarm somewhere.  A few minutes later an armed gentleman showed up and (verbally) chewed me a new crappin' hole.  I did not have a dog with me at the time.
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 9:50:14 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Semi off topic but, but about my involvement with nuke plant security...  I worked at a nuke plant while I was in college.  Late one evening we were doing some sort of pressurization test on the reactor building.  It involved a lot of going in and out of the reactor building.  One time I swiped my access card to leave the building, did whatever I needed to do outside, and the door never closed behind me so I went back in...  without swiping my access card to get back in.  A few minutes later I tried to swipe my card to go into the control room which is IN the reactor building.  Since the security system thought I was outside the reactor building and not in it, it apparently threw an alarm somewhere.  A few minutes later an armed gentleman showed up and (verbally) chewed me a new crappin' hole.  I did not have a dog with me at the time.

Most any good access control system is going to have an anti-passback so you can't leave the building and pass your badge to someone else.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 12:08:08 AM EDT
[#32]

One time I swiped my access card to leave the building, did whatever I needed to do outside, and the door never closed behind me so I went back in... without swiping my access card to get back in.

Atleast here it is well known and posted that you ensure doors shut behind you, no "piggybacking" and you never try to get through a card reader door without swiping your badge. I am sure at very least your General Oreintation Training taught you some of this.

He was probably pissed for having to track you down for the first alarm you caused by leaving the door open.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 1:14:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Wackenhut has the DoE contract, and has for decades. CPOs make decent money, depending on which post you're on. OT is always available when you want it. As for the Nuke sites, that's NRC, so I have no idea who has that account.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 1:39:17 AM EDT
[#34]
It all sounds like really shitty money to me. I met a Marine who was in the process supposedly of getting hired at the San Onofre plant, they talked about it as if it was decent pay.

However coma, most first termers are rarely past E-5 and lived in the barracks most likely therefore don't know what good pay is anyhow.  Ah nevermind.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 2:11:38 AM EDT
[#35]
I work at one.  The one you mention I heard was hiring another 200 officers.   Prior LEO or .mil is a plus but not required.  You can call the site and ask for security.  They will tell you how to apply.  Or if you are daring drive up to the main entrance at 15mph or less as the officer there. They will turn you around after you ask your question, so think of it as a pre-pre job interview.  If look decent (no suit, tie) and be polite, they will remember you later for any transgressions.

You can look up the "parent companies" web site or nei.org for online info.

Be prepared to be throughly examined.  You will be packing a lot of heat and equipment.  Controlling access is job one.  Pay is good, and job security is pretty good if you can consistantly perform.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 3:06:38 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
DOE guys make decent money and get great training. If you can stand the boredom (yes it's fucking boring sometimes all the time) it's a pretty good job.

No idea on civilian nuke stuff.

I can vouch for that; 17 years worth.
M
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 3:27:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Careful with the OpSec, fellas.

I was in Navy nuclear and am currently in civilian.

Link Posted: 10/15/2006 3:53:53 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
It all sounds like really shitty money to me. I met a Marine who was in the process supposedly of getting hired at the San Onofre plant, they talked about it as if it was decent pay.

However coma, most first termers are rarely past E-5 and lived in the barracks most likely therefore don't know what good pay is anyhow.  Ah nevermind.

Since I started in 2001 I have made between $70k and $90k a year. I think that is pretty good considering I have a B.A. degree and couldn't make even close to that if I actually went into a field where I used it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 6:05:09 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

DoE doesn'tr protect Nuke Plants.. Thats the NRC..

The NRC monitors nuclear power plants and other nuclear facilities but they don't "protect them". The NRC is a government watchdog to ensure the companies that own the plants are following all the federal regulations and their own policies etc.

DoE has some of its own plants/sites and from what I have seen, their security is a little more professional that in the private side of the nuclear industry (with a few exceptions).
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 6:41:38 AM EDT
[#40]
It sure beats working for a living.

I'm making a hell of a lot more a year than I did as a LEO.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 7:28:22 AM EDT
[#41]
You DOE guys forgot to mention the DOE guards make a lot of overtime $$. LANL starts at better than $18 an hour and that goes up according to military / law enforcement experiance, training received, and education level.

Link Posted: 10/15/2006 3:07:07 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Securitas Security Services USA (it's a Swedish company) has a lot of contracts, mostly in the South Eastern US I believe.

That's who does it at BVPS.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 4:51:44 PM EDT
[#43]
I believe Securitas maybe the guys at Arkansas Nuke One... though im not certain, if thats the case, they looked like they didnt make shit...they had their office next to ours... looked like underpaid mall ninjas, and someone said they had security at the Nuke plant. I dunno though for certain.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 11:48:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 1:51:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Well, I am a Reactor Door Gunner at a plant. I can't tell you any more than that or I'd have to kill you.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:09:24 AM EDT
[#46]
I worked at DC Cook in Bridgman, MI for 14 years in the Security field.  It was contractor work and although the pay is good, there was no pension, the hours were 12 hours a shift and the overtime mandatory.  The armament was CAR-15 9mm and Sig P-226 for line staff.  1187 shotguns were everywhere too.  In Michigan apply at the un-employment office and prepare to be checked out from stem to stern.  The will urine test you at random(no left handed smoking allowed) and have a zero tolerence for booze too.

When contractors change, the stress level goes off of the hook as people scramble for position.  Hope this 411 helps
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:23:32 AM EDT
[#47]
You will need to pass the psych screening during the interview process.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:39:43 AM EDT
[#48]
It's been a lot of years since I worked at SONGS 1, but if I remember correctly you need to apply at SCE in Rosemead for security positions, They also used "rent a cops" From Wells Fargo for the crappy jobs but that didn't pay crap.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:51:27 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I believe Securitas maybe the guys at Arkansas Nuke One... though im not certain, if thats the case, they looked like they didnt make shit...they had their office next to ours... looked like underpaid mall ninjas, and someone said they had security at the Nuke plant. I dunno though for certain.

There is a difference between the guys you see at the local car dealership at night, and the people they hire for the energy plants, and the government contracts.

New guards go though about 3 months of training then shadow a current guard for a few more weeks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top