Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2001 12:52:17 PM EDT

I am about to buy my first holster for my HK USP .40.  Primary use will be for IDPA competition.  I was wondering if you prefer a  Kydex holster such as a Blade-Tech/Fobus; or a standard leather?  Will either cause holster wear to set in quicker than the other?  Brand and model names would be appreciated.  Thanks
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#1]
HKer, I use a Blade-Tech holster for IDPA activities with good success. I have heard that wear on a firearm is greater with these type of holsters, however by blue Kimber still looks great. In the past I used a Dillon Master (leather) and it is a good holster. If given the choice, I would go with the Blade-Tech.
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 1:55:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I`m going to second the above post. I use BladeTech for uspsa production class, which is very similar to idpa. I also have a dillion master and it`s a good holster. But the BladeTech is adjustable and very slick inside, which translates to fast.
I wouldn`t buy a Fobus, because they are an inexpensive product that is a basic cookie cutter design, not adjustable and too stiff for any rea competition. I do have one and was dissapointed right away, it is a small step up from the Glock holster.
BTW SideArmor is another quality product.
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 5:48:28 PM EDT
[#3]
KYDEX.  Faster, and some have adjustable retention. The Blade-Techs are adjustable, Sidearmors are not (but are VERY good rigs).Pass on the Fobus, unless budget is THE consideration.

You should get the same or less wear from Kydex, if you keep it clean, which is easier than with leather (esp suede lined).

My favorite new kydex rig is the BraveHeart, made by IDPA master shooter Dave Elderton. See it at www.skdtac.com

www.sidearmor.net  is their URL. The make RH models for most Glocks and LH for a few, and make some 1911 models now. Good luck
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 6:06:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I use leather for IDPA. My everyday carry holster is leather so I train with the same one. My best draw and fire time was 1.28 seconds with the leather holster. My Kydex time was 1.14. Yep, the Kydex is definitely faster. Go with whatever you feel most comfy with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top