Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2001 5:34:18 PM EDT
so remington is jumpin on the short mag. boat now...
any opinions on them?  ive havent shot one yet, but damn, seems like a great idea.  magnums in a short action...kicks like a 308, has barrel life of a 308, acts like a 300 mag.  pretty cool.

anyone rechamber a rifle yet?  ive been thinking about rechambering my 700VS to one of them...
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:46:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't think they recoil any less than a full magnum.  We have sold a half dozen WSM and all the reports as I have gotten is there is not much if any difference to a standard 300 WM.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#2]
really?  i just talked to a guy yesterday who had a Win 70 in 300WSM, told me it wasnt bad at all...little more than 308.  but hey, i wont know till i try...figure if i rechamber a 9lb Rem 700 it will be a pussycat.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#3]
You rechamber a 9lb varmit rifle it should shoot pretty comfortable.  These guys are in a lightweight short Bbl - You take a short, fat, sharp angled shouldered case in a lightweight rifle there is gonna be a fairly sharp kick.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:35:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I read in the Hornady book that he did beleive that shorter fatter cases are inherently more accurate{ .308 over 30'06 }and using a pistol primer help even more. ie. 6mm ppc and such.
GG
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#5]
True statement - It is what benchrest shooters have been saying for years.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#6]
There was an article in the August American Rifleman on the 7mm SAUM and 300 SAUM. Sounds like I'm going to be wanting them. Of course I want every gun and cartridge I see.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 10:04:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Gun Guru:
I read in the Hornady book that he did beleive that shorter fatter cases are inherently more accurate{ .308 over 30'06 }and using a pistol primer help even more. ie. 6mm ppc and such.
GG
View Quote

Read that too, what you think happen to the 7.62x39?
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 10:11:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Recoil is not going to be deterimined by case size or shape,, think about it! it depends on how much mass you accelerate, to what speed, and how much does your rifle weigh. Things like springs and buffers help by spreading the recoil over a longer period of time thus reducing the peak shock. so making a short fat case or a long fat case doesnt matter one bit. it all depends on what bullet you launch and how fast you make it go...pat
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 10:12:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SILVER SURFER:
Read that too, what you think happen to the 7.62x39?
View Quote

So what happened?
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 10:16:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a discusion with my hunting buddy about this today. All I have to say about it is why? I don't need an extra dead critter. Doesn't the .308 .270 30.06 pretty well cover it? Plain old 7mm mag gives me flinches... 6 pound rifle witha mules kick! I have to wonder how a person conditions themselves to getting hit in the shoulder by a truck    and not develop a flinch.

Maybe I should lay off the coffee
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 10:21:14 PM EDT
[#11]
the problem wint the 7.62x39 is not in the brass but in the junk it is shot thru! I agree the ak type weapon is a great rifle for combat at 100 yards and it is as good as it needs to be but not for punching holes in the x ring. also all of the 7.62x39 amo is just as sloppy as the rifle.
If one were inclined to take good cases and good bullets, build a good rifle , I think you could drive tacks with the thing in 7.62x39...pat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top