Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2001 4:44:35 PM EDT
My father just gave me his only shotgun.  An Ithaca Mod. 37.  I used this very same gun to shoot my first duck. I'm 50 years old now, but just having him give me the gun made me feel 15 again.  It still feels the same, the thrill is still there.  God what memories.  
Now keep in mind that I have served in the USMC, with 13 mts. in Nam, shot on the Marine Corps rifle and pistol team, USMC skeet team, and still shoot competition matches to this day.  I have 50+ weapons, reload everything I shoot and make my own stocks.  
There is a special place in my heart for this gun as it was the first one to take on a real hunting trip.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:46:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Stuff like this makes me feel all warm inside [^]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:12:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I recently recieved my fathers 870 Wingmaster.
It was my Grandfathers shotgun. It has an interesting history, as I understand. It seems my Grandfather drew down on the chief of police with it.
I won't be doing any stupid shit like that!

Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:16:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad to see I'm not the only one. Out of all my firearms, my favorite is the new J.C. Higgins single shot .22 my Dad gave me for my tenth birthday. I must have fired a hundred thousand rounds through it. When my son came back after a year in Okinawa in the Marine Corps three years ago, I gave him a new DPMS A-15 A2. It is my hope that he will keep it and treasure it as I do my .22 .
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:20:16 PM EDT
[#4]
My grandfather gave me his old 16 gauge pump shotgun it kicks like a mule, but I love it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#5]
My maternal grandfather gave my dad a Hibben model UH pump .22 a week before died in May of 1998.  He would have been 86.  He insisted my dad take it before he left.  He told my father his cousin purchased it when they were 10 and his uncle made his cousin take it back to the store.  My grandpa when back the next day and bought it back.  It was his first and favorite gun.  I remember my grandpa hitting a coyote off hand on the run.  A year later my dad died and the rifle passed on to me.  I had it fixed.  It was at the gunsmith for a year.  It is old and beat and it cost more to fix than to replace, but it is worth every dollar.  I plan to take my nephews shooting with it when they are older.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Funny you should start this thread. Last Sunday my dad called and said he was coming over and had something to give me. He showed up with a Winchester 9422 XTR .22 cal. and gave it to me. It is a beautiful rifle, high gloss walnut stocks with cut checkering and a deep polished blue on the steel, not a mark on it and about 25 years old. The funny thing is I have had my eye on one recently but there was no way he could have known that. He just saw it and bought it for me. My parents divorced when I was in third grade. I'm 37 now and my dad hasn't given me a gun since I was 7. There is no family history to go with it but there will be. I promised him that I would pass it down to my daughter(my only child) someday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top