Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2001 12:33:08 PM EDT
I am ordering a new CAR-15 and just wondered what the pros and cons are of the plastic and aluminum CAR stocks?  Which one is better?  I have heard that the aluminum ones shatter when hit?  Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 12:41:23 PM EDT
[#1]
You plan on getting shot at anytime soon?  If not, don't worry about it.  The plastic stock is much lighter.

EDIT:

HOWEVER, you can't put one on a "new" AR.  Did not catch that when I first read your post.  Thanx Gus!
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 12:46:17 PM EDT
[#2]
The plastic stock isn't as noisy as the aluminum, it doesn't rattle as much.

[heavy]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 12:48:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer the plastic stocks (original style). I think they are stronger & lighter than the aluminum stocks. If you accidently scratch it, you don't have to worry about the finish being ruined.

Tyler
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 3:47:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd have to recommend the Rock River Arms 6 position stock. These things are extremely well made, light, and look as if it'll take quite a beating.

Also, with other stocks you are limited with the trigger pull, these can adjust to the A2 length if you prefer that.

And it's hard to beat the price. I paid $75 for mine, and couldn't be happier. I put it on my M4gery, and it looks great.

Link Posted: 9/10/2001 3:58:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree, get the plastic; its ligher, tougher,  quieter, and to boot, it's cheaper.   Plus, when you are shooting when its cold, the plastic against your cheek will feel warmer, whereas the alum. will feel cold.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:16:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I am not sure if this is even made............but want one.  It is a fixed position CAR stock that uses the standard A2 buffer tube assembly.  I figure some one must make it??

If you know, please tell me.

Thanx

OSA
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I would definately go with a plastic 6- position stock.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#8]
If six positions are good, eight or 10 must be better.  I guess.

I just got a Colt three-position that seems to work well, it's got enough positions for me, there are clones out there just like it for maybe 50 bucks.  Make sure you get a parked buffer tube and not a purple Barney-the-Dinosaur one.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#9]
And having only three postitions instead of six is better why?

I guess just having a flintlock is better than having a semi-auto?

Sounds like somebody likes paying for name recognition.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:29:18 PM EDT
[#10]
One other advantage to the plastic is that it does'nt dent like the aluminum one. I can remember when nobody wanted plastic.
Now you can't hardly give away aluminum.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am not sure if this is even made............but want one.  It is a fixed position CAR stock that uses the standard A2 buffer tube assembly.  I figure some one must make it??
View Quote

Yes, they're made, the AR manucturers have just about all converted to that format.  I know RRA and Bushmaster have and I thought Eagle Arms/Armalite has also.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:36:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Gee seamus I guess it's obvious you don't own a COLT.  My condolences . . .

You *could* say I paid for name recognition, but it doesn't even say COLT on it.  Dammit!

We're getting into the endless "Colt versus everybody else" debate, but to me it was worth it to keep every component on my M4gery Colt.

Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am ordering a new CAR-15 and just wondered what the pros and cons are of the plastic and aluminum CAR stocks?  Which one is better?  I have heard that the aluminum ones shatter when hit?  Any thoughts?
View Quote

If you're ordering a [b]new[/b] CAR-15, you will risk the wrath of the BATF of you put [b]ANY[/b] collapsable stock on it. For post ban guns, I prefer the old style A1 stock for times when you need one a little shorter than the current A2 stock. I think the fake tele-stocks are just silly.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Gee seamus I guess it's obvious you don't own a COLT.  My condolences . . .

You *could* say I paid for name recognition, but it doesn't even say COLT on it.  Dammit!

We're getting into the endless "Colt versus everybody else" debate, but to me it was worth it to keep every component on my M4gery Colt.

View Quote

My, my, I guess I touched a nerve. See, I didn't go out of my way to start bashing Colt or Colt products. All I said is that the RRA stock was a good product and that having six positions is good for many reasons. Especially if you like the trigger pull of an A2, but also want the compactness of a telestock.

On that alone you posted condescending remarks for no apparent reason, other than being a Colt snob. Which you prove again in your second post, also trying to belittle me for not being a Colt owner.

What an ass you make of yourself. Are you still in high school?

Guess what dude, there's lots of people, including me, who aren't that impressed with Colt. But at the same time I don't go out of my way to make snide comments about others preferences.

So get off your fucking high horse and get a life.

Have you even seen a RRA stock, or are you just guessing what they're like?

edited because I can....
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If you know, please tell me.

Thanx

OSA
View Quote

I think the fixed position CAR stock that came on my LEGP uses standard A2 buffer tube assembly.  Check with RRA.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:51:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

If you're ordering a [b]new[/b] CAR-15, you will risk the wrath of the BATF of you put [b]ANY[/b] collapsable stock on it. For post ban guns, I prefer the old style A1 stock for times when you need one a little shorter than the current A2 stock. I think the fake tele-stocks are just silly.
View Quote

It will be a Olympic Arms CAR-15 LE, the law enforcement/gov version bought for individual officer use only
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:56:14 PM EDT
[#17]
My my Seamus, did I touch a nerve there?  A bit defensive, are we?  Have a little of that "Colt envy" my boy?  Tell your shrink . . .

I AM a Colt snob, thank you very much.  Because I've seen a few ARs before and Colts (particularly older ones) are the best.

So get off YOUR high horse, twerp!  Who started with the smartass remarks, anyway?

Hahahahahaha!
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 7:09:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Well since I've addressed all of the issues you've just brought up, your just repeating yourself without sticking up for yourself.

In reality you've done nothing to give this guy an informed reason to buy an aluminum stock other than the fact that Colt uses aluminum stocks. What a fucking joke. Or rather, what an uninformed response.

Once again, I'm sure you've never even a RRA stock, whereas I've seen a aluminum stock.

And you made snide comments first, so nanny nanny boo boo.

You have the mentality of a third grader when talking about their favorite WCW wrestler.

You are an idiot, and ignorant.

Next time when someone on this board asks advice, do me a favor and try to be helpfull instead of arrogant.

Now shut up and quit making an ass of yourself.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Gee Mr. Seamus, since you are the one who wants to start hurling invectives, let me drop to the gutter and join you.  You are such a dickhead.  And after I left that helpful post on your handguard thread too.  Jeez some people.

Hey buy what you want, I am not here to get into a pissing contest about Rock River stuff, glad you like it.

Why don't you direct some of your abundant angst at Feinswine or Schumer and get off my back with your big mouth and minute brain.

FYI, Colt stocks currently are plastic, not aluminum.  The SP1 CAR15 stock was aluminum with a plastic coating, and a mere two positions.  I am sure you would have hated it.

And all I said is that I have a Colt stock, it has three positions, and I like it.

And I don't need six positions.

At least not in my folding stock, that is.

If you do, FINE.  Sorry my opinion pisses you off.  Well, actually, I am not sorry at all . . . I am kinda amused. [;)]

I saw a clone stock at the gun show too which looked just the same as the Colt except it didn't have a little "N" on it or a little "H" on the buffer.  But, I like putting Colt pieces on a Colt rifle.  If I had a Bushy rifle I'd like to put Bushy pieces on it.  Do you have trouble with this simple concept?

Go ahead, throw back some more of your bullshyte you twit.  You are an occasional idiotic distraction from Monday Night Football.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I like the 3 position stock better because it's easier to find position's in the stock FAST. 4 is ok. 6 is to many for me. If my rifle sat around and I just wanted 6 to play around with and a lot of ppl shot it that needed difference lengths... I guess it would be ok.

I like the 3 position plastic though. It is simple. I might try a 4 position one day to see how it works out.

Just my .02

_FS
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I like the six position stock, because my 10 year old son shoots the AR and he can adjust the stock to suit him as he grows.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:32:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Shhhhh . . . Full Spectrum.  Delete your post quickly before Seamus sees it.  He'll throw a freakin' fit!  [:)]

Damn . . . the game's over and the wrong team won.  Too bad about McCaffrey though even though he's a Bronco.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top