Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2001 8:44:13 AM EDT
[img]http://www.fayettevilleobserver.com/news/photos/2001/sep/n07plane.jpg[/img]
[url]http://www.fayettevilleobserver.com//cgi-bin/news/display.pl?month=08&index=n07c130.htm&year=2001[/url]

A C-130E Hercules was forced to make an emergency landing Wednesday night at Fayetteville Regional Airport after an engine caught fire and fell off the plane.

According to Pope Air Force Base, the crew became aware of a problem with one of the plane’s engines about 7:45 p.m. The plane was about 25 miles southwest of the airport. The No. 4 engine caught fire and was shut down. The engine weighs 3,500 pounds.

Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:56:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I hate it when that happens!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 10:02:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought that only happened to DC-10s?
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 10:16:13 AM EDT
[#3]
The bulk of the engine case is magnesium.  Falling away from the craft is the best thing the crew can hope for (after it catches fire).  Planerench out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 10:22:07 AM EDT
[#4]
The pope has got a US Air force Base named after him?!
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#5]
About 6 years ago, one of our C130H2s (1980 models) got hit up @ Dobbins w/ a microburst, just as the crew were discussing re-parking & leaving the next day.  It was on the Hammerhead, outboard engines downsped, & the microburst hit the left wingtip, driving #1 engine's prop into the ground.  Subsequently, all 4 blades sheared off, took out #2 engine, & sent some other miscellaneous parts through the fuselage, missing one of the loadmasters by a foot or so.  Needless to say an emergency ground egress was coordinated, & everyone made it to a ditch, & then later to a local bar.
This was before my Aircrew days & one of the blades hangs in our Squadron briefing room, simply titled "Microburst."  The aircraft is still flying on a regular basis.  That Herc is one well-engineered piece of machinery!
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 11:06:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Same thing happened to another U.S c-130 over newfoundland, it was heading back from europe, and one of the engines blew out, and the cone from the front of one propeller, landed on some guy's POS domestic sedan
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 12:53:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Fuck me dead! I have spend many an hour on a C130, and more in a couple of weeks. I hate flying at the best of times! Shit!
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 1:17:26 AM EDT
[#8]
My brother is stationed at Fort Bragg, I'll ask him about this when we talk this weekend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top