Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2001 10:13:44 PM EDT
Anyone ever see a glock in .380? I saw a pic once, and know they exist. Why can't we get one in the US?
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're looking for a good .380, try a CZ83, or a Browning BDA. Both are good guns, the CZ being roughly 2/3 the price of the Browning. *edited for spelling...oops*
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 1:03:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I posted this on another thread, in case you don't see it:

I believe it has something to do with US parts count. It wasn't worth it to bring it up to US importation spec, seeing as it would not sell here in the states.

Think of it this way, who would choose a .380 Glock that is the same size and same mag cap as a 9x19 Glock??? But I believe there are countries in Europe that don't allow civvies to own 'military/LE' calibers such as 9mm, hense the .380 Glock.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 2:53:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:46:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Anyone ever see a glock in .380? I saw a pic once, and know they exist. Why can't we get one in the US?
View Quote

Actually... (Correct me if I'm wrong,) due to the import ban, the feds have placed a "point" system on the import of handguns. The handgun must have a certain number of points before it can be imported. Points are based on things such as size of round, weight of handgun, length of barrel, etc.. Anyway, I heard that the .380 wouldn't pass the point system. Also, why but a .380 when you can have a 9x19?

Ian
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually... (Correct me if I'm wrong,) due to the import ban, the feds have placed a "point" system on the import of handguns. The handgun must have a certain number of points before it can be imported. Points are based on things such as size of round, weight of handgun, length of barrel, etc.. Anyway, I heard that the .380 wouldn't pass the point system. Also, why but a .380 when you can have a 9x19?

Ian
View Quote

the reason why only LEO can get glock 380s is becouse of the GCA of 68 it woulndt get enough points the reason u would want one over a 9mm is becouse u liove in some BS area were you coudlnt own a "military caliber" thats the only reason Glock made a 380
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I believe this is a full size Glock made for sale in countries where civilians cannot own firearms using military rounds.  There is simply no market for it here in the States.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 11:51:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm looking for a smaller gun for my fiance. She's a really small girl with small hands. I let her shoot a KT 9 and it was real hard for her to pull the DAO trigger and the recoil was too much for her (she says). She wants a gun though and I let her shoot all of them, but it's looking like a practical gun for her is going to be a
.380, 32acp or 22. Not real knock down calibers, but "hey get the hell away from me", noise makers:)
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 12:09:24 PM EDT
[#8]
In my not-so-humble opinion, there is no such thing as a "good" .380.

If it's for the wife/girlfriend, get her a small frame 9mm with a single stack magazine.  Something like a Kahr MK series pistol.

I have a Colt Pocket Nine with night sights and an action job by Teddy Jacobsen for sale right now.  But I would recommend the Kahr.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 12:16:56 PM EDT
[#9]
She just doesn't like the 9mm recoil. It's gonna take some time I guess. I like the KT 32, but it's the last resort "I'm wearing shorts" gun. I of course want her to feel confident and also have something she will carry and no go "oh it's too heavy today", or some other excuse. My mother caries a beretta 22, and I'm taking my fiance out this next weekend to shoot it and the KT32. We'll see:)
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#10]
If you really need a .380, how about a PPK or a Sig 230/232?  I believe they can be had for the $300-400 price range.

Or if you really want to shell out the money for a good gun, the P7K3 is available in .380 and .32 auto, but the price range is much higher.  At least $700 and some sell for over $1000.

Or if you want cheap, a Makarov can be had for $100.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:32:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I just went through this with my wife. She can handle the recoil, but not the weight of my full size pistols. The grips on the polymer's were too thick for her hands.
Go and find a Beretta 84,85, or 86. It is small enough for her hands, but not tiny, and the weight is good for her too. Hardly any recoil.
We got the 86 because it is the tip up barrel, since the blow backs are a pain to rack the slide on. About 500 bucks out the door, so it is a little on the pricey side, but it is worth it to have a gun she can actually practice with.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#12]
.380 is a dying breed - we don't even stock them anymore and very few ask about them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I own the original Walther "PPK" in .380 and have the "Preban" Browning BDA .380 with 3 - 13 round magazines. The gunshows still have both from time to time in like new to new condition. My wife bought me the PPK in 1965. Bought the BDA .380 in the mid 80's for around $500.00 new.

The Walther PPK is now the PPKS I believe they considered it a "Saturday Night" special when the "Anti Gun Fruit Cakes" were into that part of "Gun Control". The PPK sure wasn't cheap !!!!
If James Bond liked it, then I don't know what the complaint was.

The new Browning BDA .380 is identical to the old on, the magazines have been crimped so they can't be staggered to get the extra 3 rounds in them. I'm sure many lives were saved. Of course they no longer manufacturer them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:39:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you really need a .380, how about a PPK or a Sig 230/232?  I believe they can be had for the $300-400 price range.

Or if you really want to shell out the money for a good gun, the P7K3 is available in .380 and .32 auto, but the price range is much higher.  At least $700 and some sell for over $1000.

Or if you want cheap, a Makarov can be had for $100.
View Quote

If you get a PPK or/S in stainless,keep it spotlessly clean and dripping with oil.I had one that jammed if it wasnt.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 7:56:23 PM EDT
[#15]
here's a plug for the Makarov, It's well made, fairly accurate, very reliable, and inexpensive.

those commies did a nice job copying the PPK

The recoil seems greater than my M92 Beretta though
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 12:09:52 AM EDT
[#16]
While everyone’s into semi-autos nowadays, the 5-shot S&W and Ruger .38 Special revolvers are still extremely effective personal defense handguns.  They’re great for ladies who don’t have a lot of hand strength and/or (to be blunt) mechanical aptitude.  

They’re also real attention getters, esp. in stainless steel, when they’re pointed at someone (something about being able to see the fronts of the bullets sitting there, ready to go).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top