Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2001 6:57:51 PM EDT
A while ago I saw a picture of a military shotgun that fits under the barrel of M16s like a grenade launcher.  Do any of you know what I'm talking about?  Can you give me some info?
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 7:02:04 PM EDT
[#1]
General Rule of thumb:
If it looks cool, or it's useful, It's illegal.

Shawn
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Well you're close but it was shorter and looked like it had a flash hider.  I think it also attached to the barrel in the same spot as the standard grenade launcher.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I think Ciener the .22 conversion guy was doing that for a while. Contact him and if he is I will go and look it over for you. He is just right up the street from me about ten miles.He is also right by the beach so I can look at some bikini's
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 8:18:43 PM EDT
[#5]
This is really starting to drive me nucking futs!  I've been searching the web for a couple of hours now and all I can come up with is the Masterkey system.  I'm beginning to think that I imagined it.  

Here is a better description.

The assembly mounted under the barrel just like the M203 grenade launcher.  It had a very short barrel with a large flash suppressor that did not extend beyond the M4 barrel.  The shotgun reciever was "blocky" kinda like the M203 but much smaller.  I'm pretty sure it was a pump but it may have been a bolt action.  I'm also fairly sure it held only 3 rounds.  When I saw it I was searching for info on Knight's Armament sound suppressors for the USP tactical so didn't think to bookmark the page.  I remember that the blurb said it was designed for the military to attach to the M4 because they were finding themselves in more and more "policing" missions in close urban terrain.

HELP!
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 11:01:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I haven't seen a picture of it yet, but I have no doubt that it exists.  A while back I heard that the military was developing a short barreled shotgun just like you described.  I hope that someone posts pictures because I want to see it too!
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 11:08:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Why would it be illegal- perhaps an AOW? The idea sounds awsome and with the versatility of 12 guage ammo would be an awsome addition to the AR. Perhaps a double barrel?
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 11:10:45 PM EDT
[#8]
[img]http://www.specwargear.com/images/specials-shot%20gun%20mount-1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.specwargear.com/images/specials-QD%20mount-4.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 12:55:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why would it be illegal- perhaps an AOW? The idea sounds awsome and with the versatility of 12 guage ammo would be an awsome addition to the AR. Perhaps a double barrel?
View Quote

If you register the Rem870 (or whatever shotgun you prefer) as an AOW, I can see no reason why it would not be legal.

I'd probably mount it on a preban, just to be safe, in case some moron would construe it as a grenade launcher, which is a no-no for a postban.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 12:57:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This is really starting to drive me nucking futs!  I've been searching the web for a couple of hours now and all I can come up with is the Masterkey system.  I'm beginning to think that I imagined it.  

Here is a better description.

The assembly mounted under the barrel just like the M203 grenade launcher.  It had a very short barrel with a large flash suppressor that did not extend beyond the M4 barrel.  The shotgun reciever was "blocky" kinda like the M203 but much smaller.  I'm pretty sure it was a pump but it may have been a bolt action.  I'm also fairly sure it held only 3 rounds.  When I saw it I was searching for info on Knight's Armament sound suppressors for the USP tactical so didn't think to bookmark the page.  I remember that the blurb said it was designed for the military to attach to the M4 because they were finding themselves in more and more "policing" missions in close urban terrain.

HELP!
View Quote

Try looking under Colt. Back in the spring the introduced a box mag fed streight pull bolt action 12ga that used a side lever to work the action and has a cone shaped muzzle attachment that is supposed to give it the right stand off distance for door breaching.  Saw it in like the March or April Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:06:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Muad_Dib,

Nope your not crazy. I've been looking for the same thing. I read about it in the book Blackhack Down, and have been looking ever since.

Still haven't found anything yet though....

Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:38:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Hey guys,

The Masterkey comes in a few different flavors.  There's a modifyed 203 bracket that was around during TFR's time, and the newer KAC MK that attaches to the RAS (just like the RAS mounted M203).  

Colt is also making a semi-auto magazine-fed version (called the Lightweight Shotgun System or LSS because it's made out of polymer like a Glock).  The mag capacity is 5 rounds and it's already floating around in some of the high-speed armories.  It's designed specifically for breaching and has a barrel extension that looks somewhat like a compensator.

Hope this helps.

-SARguy
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 7:37:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hey guys,

The Masterkey comes in a few different flavors.  There's a modifyed 203 bracket that was around during TFR's time, and the newer KAC MK that attaches to the RAS (just like the RAS mounted M203).  

Colt is also making a semi-auto magazine-fed version (called the Lightweight Shotgun System or LSS because it's made out of polymer like a Glock).  The mag capacity is 5 rounds and it's already floating around in some of the high-speed armories.  It's designed specifically for breaching and has a barrel extension that looks somewhat like a compensator.

Hope this helps.

-SARguy
View Quote

I is not polymer, it has 5 and 10 round detach mags,and it is NOT semi-auto.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 7:49:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Guys, here is the Colt LSS.

[img]http://members.nbci.com/wapahani/coltlss2.jpeg[/img]

From National Defence magazine:

Other weapons under development at Picatinny include an under-barrel 12 gauge shotgun. The new Lightweight Shotgun System (LSS) weapon was developed in cooperation with Colt’s Manufacturing Company Inc., of Hartford, Conn.

Two variants were designed to attach under the barrel of either the M16 assault rifle or the M4 carbine, a 21.5 inch barrel for the former and a shorter 16.25 inch barrel for the latter. Both versions give the shooter the option of a range of standard commercially available 12 gauge or less-than-lethal ammunition. It operates from a straight pull bolt action and uses the sights of the host assault rifle.

The LSS team designed three magazines in two, three and five rounds. While tests at Fort Benning, Ga., in October 1999, proved successful, program managers at Picatinny also are looking at a new stand alone version of the LSS as a future project. The perceived market for the new weapon includes the special operations community, diplomatic security and law enforcement.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:07:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I is not polymer, it has 5 and 10 round detach mags,and it is NOT semi-auto.
View Quote

My mistake on the LSS call.  Forgot which defense pub I saw it in, but there IS a poly-frame breaching gun under development.  I've not seen the LSS in person, but have used the old-style MK.

-SARguy
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 9:46:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Guys, here is the Colt LSS.

[img]http://members.nbci.com/wapahani/coltlss2.jpeg[/img]
View Quote

THIS IS IT!!!  Thank you all very much!  I feel like I owe you each a beer.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 10:10:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Now that I know what I'm looking for why can't I find any more information than what has already been posted?  

Maybe you guys & gals can help me out yet again by posting some informative links.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 10:26:55 AM EDT
[#18]
I dont see it wrote anywhere that colt will sell it to normal people.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't see it written anywhere that they will not sell it to citizens either, although I'm sure it would require registration as either a short barreled rifle or AOW (tax stamp).

Anyway, that doesn't preclude that fact that I'd like information on this particular tool. [:)]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#20]
1/2 way through the thread I was thinking of the Colt LSS as well

Until the posts in this thread the last time I'd seen or heard anything about the LSS was about a year ago.   I saw a nice picture of it in something like Guns&Weapons For Law Enforcement and that was about it.

Then a few months after that I was at the C-More optics site and saw them mentioning something about the thing but returning there I don't see anything about it again.

For those who posted information about the thing, THANKS.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 12:08:33 PM EDT
[#21]
http://tntarmoury.homestead.com/TNT1.html

New email address:  [email protected]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 2:05:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Has to be a short shotgun cause an AOW shotgun can never be shoulder fired. Now if you mounted an AOW to an AOW AR15 or pistol now you should be ok cause neither is shoulder fired.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 2:11:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Has to be a short shotgun cause an AOW shotgun can never be shoulder fired. Now if you mounted an AOW to an AOW AR15 or pistol now you should be ok cause neither is shoulder fired.
View Quote

David, so if you registered the shotgun as an SBS, you would be ok mounting it on a rifle?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top