Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2001 9:09:17 AM EDT
My brother just got a .22-250 Weatherby with a stainless barrel and wanted me to help him sight it in.  He is an old hunter and has never broken in a barrel on any of his rifles.  I've never done it on any of mine either and though I think I know how I would appreciate advice from the experts.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#1]
There are several methods, but I use the one in Sinclair International's Precision Shooting Guide. It is [b][i]VERY[/i][/b] tedious to say the least, but highly effective. Sorry, I don't have the book where I am now. I may scan and post it for you later. The barrel on my Remington 700 VS doesn't pick up fouling nearly as fast as some of my "unbroken" in barrels.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I just saw some Var-mints at the Winn Dixie. I bought a tin.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 1:11:32 PM EDT
[#3]
ratters,

Here is a link to ArmaLite's Technical Note #28, "Breaking In Match Barrels."  Don't know how closely it follows Sinclair's method, but it is a pretty involved procedure.

[url]http://www.armalite.com/library/techNotes/tnote28.htm[/url]

BREAK IN:  
ArmaLite Match Rifle barrels are produced from a custom, target grade blank. For optimum accuracy and improved life expectancy, it MUST be properly broken in. We recommend the following procedure:  

Remove any existing copper fouling from the barrel by using a high-quality copper-removing solvent like Hoppe’s No. 9.

Fire 11 single shots, each followed by about 20 strokes of a tight fitting patch bearing J-B bore cleaner (available from Brownells, 515-623-5401). Use a Parker Hale or other wrap-around style jag rather than a slotted jag. From 12 to 30 shots, clean after each 3 shots. From 31 to 50 shots, clean after each 5 shots. Clean thoroughly with a high quality bore cleaner every 10 shots until 100 shots. This time-consuming process will allow the barrel to smooth out without an accumulation of copper fouling in the pores of the steel. The barrel should thereafter be cleaned every 20 rounds for best match accuracy. Accuracy continues to improve for several hundred rounds as the rifle breaks in.
View Quote

Please keep in mind this is [i]ArmaLite's[/i] suggested method and may differ from any method suggested by the maker of your brother's barrel.

Good luck,

Eddie  

Link Posted: 9/9/2001 8:01:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 8:46:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I figured out that when I did a search I needed to change it from "last 24 hrs." and I got some threads.

About the break in thing from the threads I found I think it is pretty much just to control fouling.  I told my brother to use the clean after each shot for first five and after five till fifty.  Shouldn't cause too much extra wear. Sweet rifle though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 11:17:50 PM EDT
[#7]
How to break-in a tool to kill varments?  I think starting with something easy like baby seals or kitties should be a good start.  After you club a few of those, then you can work your way up to Bambi.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top