Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2001 8:04:16 AM EDT
I am a detective and carry a cocked and locked (of course) Kimber .45 on duty. I'm losing count but I think citizen # 742 approached me today to let me know that my gun was cocked.I'm running out of replies, can anyone suggest any new ones?
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 8:42:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Hold out your index finger, tell them it`s okay, my saftey is right here.
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 8:48:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you tried...."How else you espect me to kill nosey phucks like yourself".  I am sorry but I really wish people like that would keep to themselves.
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 8:55:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow! I hope I remembered to put rounds in it also!

NO SLACK!
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 9:06:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I hear ya!  How about ,"You take care of your piece and I'll take care of mine!"  As you know, the SA auto is the safest auto there is (with the exception of the P7).  No one says anything about a Glock safety even though it just blocks the trigger. The SA is faster on the draw than the DA and you WILL hit with your first shot.
PS:  The Glock is great too- no offense meant because I own a few of them as well.  Like Will Rogers said,  "I never saw a gun I didn't like!"
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 9:13:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Flip side is, don`t be to quick to give a asshole answer. The person who attempts to bring it to your attention is a progunner, or a nuetral at worst. Their doing this out of concern. Take a minute to educate them. We need all the alies we can get, and knowledge is the key.
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 10:33:04 AM EDT
[#6]
You can answer "Did you ever read the operative manual of this gun? No? What a pity... You could know that this gun IS DESIGNED TO BE CARRIED LIKE THAT... and it si SAFE..."
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 9:31:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Just say, with a totally straight face

"That's OK, it's not loaded"  

Or

"It's OK, I have a note from my mom"

[spank]
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 9:36:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I just say "That's the way Saint John Browining designed it to be carried".

Cong
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I would suggest the mild "Nice to know that you're paying attention to MY weapon!"

Jake
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 2:33:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I agree with 762nato - "Take a minute to educate them. We need all the alies we can get, and knowledge is the key."

And Glocks have 3 safeties, one of whick is a piece of steel physically preventing the firing pin from getting anywhere near the primer until the trigger is pulled.  No trigger pull, no can go boom!

Tate
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 4:48:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I agree On Education Issue Also !1
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 4:49:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 5:08:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I am a dumb ol civilian citizen so excuse my ignorance.  When and where and why can all of the citizens see your .45.  You don't wear a jacket of sorts?  I would have thought even a detective would not want to be seen as a detective until it is deemed proper by yourself to announce your identity?  I guess this is more around the department and at a crime scene or something.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top