Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2001 7:27:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 7:33:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Not that I'm any kind of authority or expert, but I figure you've got a collection when you've got several guns of a "type," and you're looking for another one of that type.

For example, if you've got a Winchester Model 70 heavy barrel with a tuned trigger, bipod, and Leupold mil-dot scope and a Remington 700 PSS with a $1300 Swarovski tactical scope, but you're considering that Robar SR-90, you may be a collector.

I guess redundancy would be the measurement I'd use.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 7:46:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 7:47:43 AM EDT
[#3]
or it could be one of each of some category. for example, myself: i'm building a collection of US military longarms, showing the technological development. i still NEED a charleville, springfield trapdoor, 1903 and m14/m1a. after i get those i'd like to start collecting helicopter gunships. ;)
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 8:02:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Depends on who's calling you a collector.  In my case I was officially labelled a 'collector' by the government at the instant I purchased my first centerfire rifle, which happened to be classified as a 'restricted weapon' at the time.  Due to its classification I was legally obligated to become a 'collector' or meet other requirements such as belonging to a range, being a competitive shooter etc.  The legal standard I was required to meet for my 'collector' status was:

-pass background checks and have a valid FAC

-demonstrate knowledge of the historical, technical or other defining characteristics of the firearm to a firearm officer in a verbal 'interview' lasting about 30 seconds.

The guy cut me off after I had explained the fieldstrip procedure and operating system and launched in on the design lineage and adoption history of the item in question.  The gun was an FAL clone so we could have been there for quite a while if he hadn't interrupted me.  [:D]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 8:07:15 AM EDT
[#5]
My criterion for a collection is three or more of the same kind of thing.  One is just one, two is a primary and a backup, three is a collection.

When I bought my third Mauser rifle I became a collector of military bolt-action rifles.  On the third Swedish Mauser I became a Swedish Mauser collector.  Third AR-15 - Poof!  I'm an AR-15 collector.

I have a collection of collections.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 8:15:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Hi DK-Prof,
 For me it's a collection when it take me more than a year to make a round to shoot each gun. It could also be when you shot your guns once and have to clean it twice, once after shooting and once after storing for so long. If I put a minimum number on it I would have to say about 4. Four guns is more than a man can carry easily with ammo.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 8:24:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't consider my stuff a "collection"

I think if the BATF burned down my house, the media would refer to it as a "Cache" or a "Stockpile" [:)]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 8:25:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Another classification could be when somebody is when somebody at the range is admiring you rifle and you invite him home to see your others. Also, If you realize your safe is quickly filling up and you contemplate getting another, or when you budget is pre-allocated years into the future so that "my next one will be a HBAR, and after that I may get one like my Bushy but in .308"
You have become a collector when you no longer give every gun a nickname [^]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:00:59 AM EDT
[#9]
In my opinion...a collection is simply two or more guns that you NEVER INTEND TO SELL.  In my case, all but one gun have I ever sold...and in fact, I more or less gave the gun away to a friend of mine who has a family in a not-so-good neighborhood in SoCal.

I agree with the comments about having to clean the guns more often than shooting them...as well as the "next purchase" mentality.  It drives my wife crazy.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:03:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm a collector.  Here's a handgun sampler:

[IMG]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=192182&a=1409106&p=51632742&Sequence=0&res=high[/IMG]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:06:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I have to agree that by definition to be a "collector" one must have a focus on a certain mark, design or other criteria that ties the guns into some sort of familiarity with one another.
In my case I have some where over 100 guns. (I quite counting a long time ago when I reached the 100 mark.) But I do not think that alone would qualify me as a collector by definition. But the fact that I have a focus on single actions and anything Smith & Wesson I would be classified as a collector.
Now, do I have a stockpile of weapons by definition? I don't honestly know.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:28:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:39:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Both are 7.63*25.  Fiocci stil makes it and it's all over the place in my area.

The top one is actually an Astra 900, and the bottom one is a prewar commercial (WWI that is).  Unfortunately, the Astra is not shootable.  It doesn't lock into battery because the bolt hammering the boltstop has bent the slide out where the bolt fits in.  The bolt cannot go far enough forward to lock anymore.  I could remove material for it to do so, but further shooting would only damage it faster.  This was a disappointment as I spent lots of money restoring this thing.

I don't shoot the mauser, because it is PERFECTLY matching, and the bore isn't too good.  There are lots of other guns to shoot in the collection.  My personal favorite is the Colt New Service in .455 Eley.  (Bottom revolver)  Fiocci .455 Webley Mk 2 is interchangable with .455 Eley, making this a shootable gun.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:43:43 AM EDT
[#14]
[b]I think if the BATF burned down my house, the media would refer to it as a "Cache" or a "Stockpile"[/b]

dragracerart, you made one mistake here.  The media would also refer to your house as a "Compound" and you as a "Cultist".

Like this...

"In local news today, agents of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms with assistance from state law enforcement authorities raided a small compound and attempted to arrest the cultists for illegal possession of assault rifles and stockpiling weapons.  While we are uncertain of the details, apparently the suspects were accidently burned to a crisp when they resisted arrest."

"In a related incident, 2 local houses were hit with a few hundred rounds of law enforcement ammunition and received scorch marks from the compound fire next door."

"Paul, back to you in the channel 4 newsroom..."

"Thanks Lisa, mmmmm makes me want some smores.  In local sports..."

- CD

Link Posted: 9/7/2001 10:11:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I think "theme" is the criteria to judge by.

If no theme is present then you have an accumulation. That of course is not so bad. It just means variety.

I always wanted one of every U.S. service rifle. Things just haven't worked out that way.

What I have is an M1 Garand, a Springfield '03a3, an AR15, and Enfield No4mk1 and an SKS. I would like to get a hold of a Soviet M44 (or about any Moisin Nagant) while they're still cheap and available.

So my theme, minus the AR, would be WWll battle rifles.

Of course the popular press would call me a nutcase with an arsenal.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 10:14:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Anything over 0 according to the anti's is a collection, a.k.a. arsenal.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#17]
You are all wrong.

It is like with baseball cards as a kid. When you have more than ONE, you now have a collection. You might have a very small collection, but it is a collection nonetheless.

An arsenal, is a collection with a specific purpose.

Many people have 3-5 guns but don't consider themselves "collectors", this is irellevant. I had maybe 10 baseball cards as a kid, that I just ended up with somehow and kept in a drawer. I did not consider myself a collector of baseball cards. But if anyone asked to see my baseball card "collection" I knew where it was.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 10:41:54 AM EDT
[#18]
I always thought a collection was defined as being more than the sum of its parts.
One person who might own 5 guns could have a collection but another person owning 20 guns might only have guns.
I have a friend who inherited well over 100 firearms from his father when he died. He is a gun owner. No single gun means anything in particular to him. They are just there. He doesn't even know what most of them are.
I consider myself to be a gun collector because every gun I own means something to me. I know at least a little something on its history, Where it came from and where it fits in the whole history of guns.

A collection can be further defined as being all of one type or another but it doesn't have to.

I used to collect lighthouse sculptures. I have quite a few but they no longer have any real meaning to me. I just lost interest and they went from collection status to being just a bunch of lighthouses.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 10:56:44 AM EDT
[#19]
My personal opinion is that you become a collector as soon as you either have a bunch of guns of a certain or various types following a theme and plan on having more of that type or theme (themes including "it shoots bullets"), or when you are knowingly looking for guns to buy to add to the ones you have.  I'm in the latter case, since I only own two guns, but am looking at owning more in the near future.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wow - if Gunslinger had over 100 guns and is not sure it's a collection, then I don't feel so bad about my 9 firearms.  Can I tell my fiancee to call you when she tells me I have too many guns?  [:D]
View Quote

Sure DK, tell her call me. I'll give her the eek/gasp noice and tell you it is imparitive that she help you amass as many as possible for safeties sake.
Anything to help out a buddy.[:D]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 1:22:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, I'll help.  Look for an Email from me later...  I've got to run now!
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 1:29:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I think most of the general public would think that a collection is more than one.  A stockpile is more than one for a "bad" "evil" purpose.  The numbers do not really matter, just why you collected them.  If you never commited a crime it is a collection.  As soon as you are accused it because a stockpile.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#24]
It seems to me if one is a collector these days, it would be smart to get a C&R just so in case something happens, no one can accuse you of "stock-piling."
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#25]
As soon as you stop shooting.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 7:19:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Let say that I have 2 AR's and a MAC-90 with black Choate stock.  Does that mean I have a collection of black SUR???
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 8:23:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I think "collection" implies two or more pieces with some sort of diversity in the individual components, but preferable with some sort of defining characteristic.  For example, having a Glock 17, 19, 23, 21, and 26, you'd have a collection of Glocks. Of course, you could just enlarge the classification to make a collection out of just about anything.  A MAK90, a Beretta 21a, a Ruger Vaquero could be a "collection of guns".

"Arsenal" and "stockpile" imply two or more pieces of the same type (IMHO).
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top